Top Speed Limit?

TrainFanatic

50 MPH, but most tend to go faster.

So then how is that the top speed if trains go faster?

The top speed that a subway car can travel on level ground is 55 MPH. In some river tubes, like the 60th Street tube, trains have been known to go fast, into the 60s.

The top speed that a subway car can travel on level ground is 55 MPH. In some river tubes, like the 60th Street tube, trains have been known to go fast, into the 60s.

Thanks also but I meant the top speed limit in which T/O's are suppose to obey.

Read carefully and you'll see what he's trying to ask.

Thanks also but I meant the top speed limit in which T/O's are suppose to obey.

The fastest speed sign I have seen was for 45 MPH, but that is only a suggestion. In a river tube, unless you have timers or some other speed restriction, you go as fast as the equipment will go.

I remember clocking 55 in R38 throught the east river tubes.but at one point the R46 had hostler controls which was good in theory,but due to a rear end colission it was disabled and speed limits were implemented throughout certain parts of the system.

What was so bad about the hostler, it did not let you go faster then normal.

What was so bad about the hostler, it did not let you go faster then normal.
Yeah true,but since its specific purpose was for ATO in terms of speed control,but what happened was that near Queens Plaza where the G meets with the R eastbound,an R46 collided with another as the train failed to slow down resultng n the collision and ultimately the removal of all hostler controls of the R46.

There is no maximum speed limit in the NYC Subway System. If no speed limit sign is posted (with no switches, timers, or any other speed restrictions ahead), then you move as fast as you possibly can.
But they are governors on the train that wouldnt allow you to achieve a higher speed.So really there is a speed limit thanks to the governor:mad:

But they are governors on the train that wouldnt allow you to achieve a higher speed.So really there is a speed limit thanks to the governor:mad:

Not really since different equipment have different "tops speeds", if there was a speed limit, everything thing would have the same max speed.

Yeah true,but since its specific purpose was for ATO in terms of speed control,but what happened was that near Queens Plaza where the G meets with the R eastbound,an R46 collided with another as the train failed to slow down resultng n the collision and ultimately the removal of all hostler controls of the R46.

I thought the issue with that one was that the first few cars were cut out due to mechanical issues, so the train was being operated from other than head end, and the agreed upon signal procedure was to use a flashlight to signal the operator. When this didn't work and the train ran the red it didn't dump (because the the first cars were cut out), and plowed into the train ahead that was crossing over the switch.

I thought the issue with that one was that the first few cars were cut out due to mechanical issues, so the train was being operated from other than head end, and the agreed upon signal procedure was to use a flashlight to signal the operator. When this didn't work and the train ran the red it didn't dump (because the the first cars were cut out), and plowed into the train ahead that was crossing over the switch.

I think your talking about the Roosevelt Ave wreck back in the 70's.

Thats the incident I was refering to which caused the(NYCT) to disable the hostler controls.

Sorry St.Louis, but you're mistaken. The Roosevelt Av crash did not involve R46's. From nycsubway.org :

An empty Brooklyn bound GG train running on the southbound local track (D1) crashed into another GG train west of Roosevelt Avenue that was crossing from the southbound express track (D3) to the southbound local track (D1). The empty GG had left Continental Avenue at 7:13 AM and developed brake trouble. Passengers were discharged at Woodhaven Boulevard and the first two cars were cut out. The motorman then operated the train from the third car with the conductor signaling with a flashlight from the front of the train.

Because of the stalled train southbound EE and GG trains were routed to the express track (D3) and then crossed back over to the local track (D1) west of Roosevelt Avenue. The home signal tripper on the local track (D1) was working but as the empty train was running with the first two cars cut out it did not engage the trip cock in time. The empty train rammed into the train crossing over to the local track between the 6th and 7th cars.

Two passengers were killed and 77 injured. The motorman, conductor, and an inspector were held responsible by an inquiry.

The consist of the empty train was (S) 4501-0, 4043-2, 3992-3, 4548-9 (N). Note that this was a mixed consist of R-38, R-40M and R-42. R-40M 4501 was badly damaged.

The rerouted GG train had cars (S) 6344-6492-6318-6469-6304-6468-6315-6355 (N). 6304 was so badly damaged that she was cut up on the spot. 6468 was moderately damaged. The other six R-16s were back in service in a week.

The R46 hostlers were removed after SMS in the early 90's.

Archived