Help With Fixing Focus Error on my Camera

I use a Fujifilm FinePix A500 camera. About a week ago, I was using my camera, and after using a cloth to clean the lens like I usually do, my camera's lens wouldn't go back in after I had turned it off. When I turned it back on I heard a buzzing sound (as opposed to the whirring of the lens as it moved) and the lens didn't move as the words "FOCUS ERROR" appeared on my camera's screen. Taking out and replacing the batteries didn't help, so the actual lens is stuck. It's still like this today.

This has only happened to me twice. The first time was shortly after it dropped from my hands about a month ago, but I guessed that the thing that covers the lens was being obstructed. I lightly pressed down on the lens (not the plastic covering) on all 4 sides and worked perfectly normally. Now that it's happened again I tried the same thing and it's still not working. I've looked it up online and found that 95% of these errors happen on Fujifilm p&s cameras. Dozens of people have found that they can fix these problems by either tapping/banging it on a table or dropping it from 2-4 feet onto a carpet - I think this is too risky. Are there any suggestions you guys have for what I can do to fix my camera? Sending it back for repairs is likely to cost over $100, and I could use that money (which I don't have right now) to buy a new camera. Any help is appreciated.

It doesn't let me take any pictures. It doesn't respond to the shutter at all actually. The LCD shows the lens view as blurred. My camera is pretty old (my sister bought it in 2006) so even if I did have a warranty it wouldn't be effective now.

I use a Fujifilm FinePix A500 camera. About a week ago, I was using my camera, and after using a cloth to clean the lens like I usually do, my camera's lens wouldn't go back in after I had turned it off. When I turned it back on I heard a buzzing sound (as opposed to the whirring of the lens as it moved) and the lens didn't move as the words "FOCUS ERROR" appeared on my camera's screen. Taking out and replacing the batteries didn't help, so the actual lens is stuck. It's still like this today.

This has only happened to me twice. The first time was shortly after it dropped from my hands about a month ago, but I guessed that the thing that covers the lens was being obstructed. I lightly pressed down on the lens (not the plastic covering) on all 4 sides and worked perfectly normally. Now that it's happened again I tried the same thing and it's still not working. I've looked it up online and found that 95% of these errors happen on Fujifilm p&s cameras. Dozens of people have found that they can fix these problems by either tapping/banging it on a table or dropping it from 2-4 feet onto a carpet - I think this is too risky. Are there any suggestions you guys have for what I can do to fix my camera? Sending it back for repairs is likely to cost over $100, and I could use that money (which I don't have right now) to buy a new camera. Any help is appreciated.

Sometimes i guess you have to fix them "manually" lol

On my little L11 camera ive had my brother hurl it to the floor with the lens open, jamming the lens (it was totally crooked and wouldn't move at all). I stuck a knife in the lens, pried it out like i was using a crowbar, freed it and now it works just like before (ignoring the big ass hole on the bottom of the lens lol)

If the shutter doesnt respond it could be somethings stuck inside the workings of your camera (possibly dust, sand or other material). If they say tap it on the table, then go ahead obviously dont smash it but i guess you could try it gently it might work. Drop it I wouldn't do though.

I stuck a knife in the lens, pried it out like i was using a crowbar, freed it and now it works just like before

That's EXACTLY how I fixed my Canon. Guy gave it to me to get rid of it and I did what you did (I used my keys), and voila! :cool:;)

Dude, i had (had) and Fujifilm A100, and it was a nice camera, then basically, it caught the same syndrome as yours did...

My solution: When i was on the bus one night, it happened once again... as i wondered what would happen when i got home and my mom found out. I heard stuff fall out my pocket, so i picked it all up and when i got off the bus, some guy moved into my seat and appeared to be texting, but infact, he was looking at the photos stored on my camera! So now, this idiot not only stole from a person who could not afford better, but he stole a POS camera from someone who could not afford better, and saved his life too cause now i could just say that i got robbed and my mom will never find out that it was ever broken :cool:

Lemme tell you h'wut (;)) you did.

When you pushed the lens in while using that cloth, you probably jammed the lens against itself. You could try prying it to unjam it, but be warned, that could further the damage. Another thing that could have happened is you may have messed up the little plastic gears that move the lens, in this case, you're screwed. You would have to replace the lens.

The buzzing is the motor unsuccessfully trying to move the lens

(side note: I hate those little point and shoot cameras. They are too cheaply made)

Lemme tell you h'wut (:P) you did.

When you pushed the lens in while using that cloth, you probably jammed the lens against itself. You could try prying it to unjam it, but be warned, that could further the damage. Another thing that could have happened is you may have messed up the little plastic gears that move the lens, in this case, you're screwed. You would have to replace the lens.

The buzzing is the motor unsuccessfully trying to move the lens

(side note: I hate those little point and shoot cameras. They are too cheaply made)

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely consider it. I'm confused as to how it happened though, because I've been cleaning my lens more delicately than I used to since the first time the focus error happened. I'm going to try and unjam it by tapping it on the table first, because apparently that's what loosens up the dust/debris in the camera, from what I've read online.

• 1 month later...

Guys, I have an update with my camera. So today I was trying to fix it, but before I actually did anything I accidentally dropped it (lmfao). So It fell on its side, and I put my batteries in to see if it was working. The lens popped back in and started working perfectly fine again, but there's still a minor problem. When using my camera, everything is back to normal, but the camera can't focus properly. If I focus on anything, it shows an autofocus (AF!) error and if I take the picture it comes out unfocused (blurry). I think it still has to do with the lens not being able to focus properly.

BTW, the grinding noise before is gone, except for a split second noise after the camera starts up. It also makes the noise when the camera is focusing. Does anyone have any suggestions? My cam doesn't have manual focus. If you want me to be more specific, I can take a (cell phone) vid of my cam's problem and put it up.

Guys, I have an update with my camera. So today I was trying to fix it, but before I actually did anything I accidentally dropped it (lmfao). So It fell on its side, and I put my batteries in to see if it was working. The lens popped back in and started working perfectly fine again, but there's still a minor problem. When using my camera, everything is back to normal, but the camera can't focus properly. If I focus on anything, it shows an autofocus (AF!) error and if I take the picture it comes out unfocused (blurry). I think it still has to do with the lens not being able to focus properly.

BTW, the grinding noise before is gone, except for a split second noise after the camera starts up. It also makes the noise when the camera is focusing. Does anyone have any suggestions? My cam doesn't have manual focus. If you want me to be more specific, I can take a (cell phone) vid of my cam's problem and put it up.

Uhoh. That means the camera is done. Buy a new one or get the lens fixed. It's been knocked out of alignment. My first Fuji did the same thing, except the R40 Slant at the museum took mine out :)

Whatever. I was saving up for a new camera anyway (had my eye on either the Sony A230 or the Canon EOS Rebel XS). I'll probably get a new one this summer when I get a job. Either way I'm still gonna mess around with this one, since I don't really have anything else to lose by doing so.

Whatever. I was saving up for a new camera anyway (had my eye on either the Sony A230 or the Canon EOS Rebel XS). I'll probably get a new one this summer when I get a job. Either way I'm still gonna mess around with this one, since I don't really have anything else to lose by doing so.

Same here. My camera is starting to show its age (e.g. blank screen, white lines in image, etc)

I want a superzoom.

Anyway, I got a new camera over the weekend: The Samsung SL605.

Samsung-SL605.jpg

12.2 MP and wide-angle lens. A great improvement over my old camera, after going out taking pics for the first time in two months today. I'll post pictures (as well as pics over the past 4 months in the coming days. I'm still going to open up my old camera next weekend and see if I can fix the problem with the focusing.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyway, I got a new camera over the weekend: The Samsung SL605.

Samsung-SL605.jpg

12.2 MP and wide-angle lens. A great improvement over my old camera, after going out taking pics for the first time in two months today. I'll post pictures (as well as pics over the past 4 months in the coming days. I'm still going to open up my old camera next weekend and see if I can fix the problem with the focusing.

Nice Colors

Archived