New Flyer C40LF Archive Thread

East New York

Breaking News : NYC Transit Forums Exclusive. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority will awarded an order for 135 new CNG buses to New Flyer of America, INC. All who asked for variety in the city, will now have their day! This is just the beginning of what will soon be a very diverse fleet.

Congratulations New Flyer on your re-entry into The City of New York! :tup::tup::tup:

At this time it is unclear if the new buses will be the standard C40LF, or the restyled C40LFR. Word is, MTA want's the C40LF (not LFR). I myself hope it is the restyled model. I love those! They look so good!

(MTA)

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NYC Transit Forums Exclusive. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has awarded an order for 135 new CNG buses to New Flyer Industries. All that asked for variety in the city, will now have their day. This is just the beginning of what will soon be a very diverse fleet. Within the next 2 days, I will post some information on 3 new demos (from 3 different manufacturers) that will soon arrive in the city as well. So hang on to your Metrocards, because what I will be posting this weekend will be yet another shocker to all. Congratulations New Flyer on your re-entry into The City of New York!

At this time it is unclear if the new buses will be the standard C40LF, or the restyled C40LFR. Word is, MTA want's the C40LF (not LFR). I myself hope it is the restyled model. I love those! They look so good!

(MTA)

It would be the C40LFR, they officially discontinued the LF series last year.

Not doubting you but a few months ago there was simliar news that MTA awarded Orion a contract for 135 Orion VII NG CNG buses. Did MTA change their minds?

Something tells me that this might be a mix, though I still believe that its Daimler who got the Order. I guess we'll have to wait and see till the time comes.

That was just a rumor. The MTA Board just made their decision. And it is without a doubt New Flyer.

Interesting. This would mean the chances of us getting hybrid articulated buses has increased, though I'm sure that we will stick with NovaBus with the articulated order.

This would also make you wonder, would we get a possible 40ft diesel order from New Flyer?

Not doubting you but a few months ago there was simliar news that MTA awarded Orion a contract for 135 Orion VII NG CNG buses. Did MTA change their minds?

That was just a rumor. The MTA Board will soon award the contract, and it is without a doubt New Flyer!

Something tells me that this might be a mix, though I still believe that its Daimler who got the Order. I guess we'll have to wait and see till the time comes.

It will not be a mix. New Flyer is the winner, and the winner will take all!

Interesting. This would mean the chances of us getting hybrid articulated buses has increased, though I'm sure that we will stick with NovaBus with the articulated order.

This would also make you wonder, would we get a possible 40ft diesel order from New Flyer?

In a few minutes, I will create a new thread titled "Future Demo Fleet," and it will address your question.

This is excellent news!!! No more buses from MTA's bitch Orion bus for the meantime; I'm extremely glad MTA and New Flyer have patched things up at long last. New Flyer, welcome back!

I wouldn't necessarily count on that, as there was a post on the other board stating that the MTA is starting to shy away from hybrids due to the long-term costs of maintaining them. A hybrid costs more than a clean-diesel or CNG bus and as of now it seems like the MTA wants to go back to CNG and diesel. That's subject to change though because the MTA is in the Walder administration; if he stays when a new Governor is elected then that would be our future; if someone else is appointed he's have different ideas as to what he'd think is best for the city operation-wise.

That was just a rumor. The MTA Board will soon award the contract, and it is without a doubt New Flyer!

It will not be a mix. New Flyer is the winner, and the winner will take all!

In a few minutes, I will create a new thread titled "Future Demo Fleet," and it will address your question.

I'm still a little skeptical about the order, considering that the MTA recently realized that ordering in bulk (i.e both option & primary orders) with one company is not the best thing in the world. It's also kind of weird since they didnt test a New Flyer bus from the get-go. I think that they are just testing the rough tides of New Flyer with the primary order, then they might shift back over to Daimler for the option order. I'm just going to sit back and wait and see.

This is excellent news!!! No more buses from MTA's bitch Orion bus for the meantime; I'm extremely glad MTA and New Flyer have patched things up at long last. New Flyer, welcome back!

Not so fast there LRG. There will be more Orions on the way. Check this out!

I'm still a little skeptical about the order, considering that the MTA recently realized that ordering in bulk (i.e both option & primary orders) with one company is not the best thing in the world. It's also kind of weird since they didnt test a New Flyer bus from the get-go. I think that they are just testing the rough tides of New Flyer with the primary order, then they might shift back over to Daimler for the option order. I'm just going to sit back and wait and see.

The base order is the only one I have confirmation on right now. So we will just have to wait and see about the optional one.

Not so fast there LRG. There will be more Orions on the way. Check this out!

Hmmmm, well, at least the CNG order is New Flyer. Too bad that they won't have the Allison transmission with the Detroit Diesel 50 engine so I can't hear the sneezing CNG release sound :o

Hmmmm, well, at least the CNG order is New Flyer. Too bad that they won't have the Allison transmission with the Detroit Diesel 50 engine so I can't hear the sneezing CNG release sound :o

It's not the transmission, its the engine, you'd still hear it either way considering that they are getting Cummins ISL-Gs.

I can't wait, If I see a New Flyer In Long Island as Well I will Foam, These are good replacements, New Flyer Builds better Buses as well as Nova, Orion doe not make good buses no more ,After the Orion VII OG's they just went downhill, Now The (MTA) is Being Smart.

I can't wait, If I see a New Flyer In Long Island as Well I will Foam, These are good replacements, New Flyer Builds better Buses as well as Nova, Orion doe not make good buses no more ,After the Orion VII OG's they just went downhill, Now The (MTA) is Being Smart.

I wouldnt say that at all, this year, the newer buses that they've been building have been plagued with frame and body/build issues. This is not a wise move but we'll see what happens.

So New Flyer gets this one. Sweet. As good as the LFRs look, I hope that this one does not disappoint. I have to see the scheme on this one as well. I think the 135 buses are going to push out the older LFs at Gleason, who knows.

I wouldn't necessarily say that as those buses are not even at retirement age yet (the bulk of those buses are ten years old; only a handful of them are any older). Sadly Orion 5 CNGs 581-610 will be history as they're 15 years old so they'll be retired without hesitation. And if it's any safer to say, the Ex-Triboro CNGs in the 7200 range may go too.

I wouldn't necessarily say that as those buses are not even at retirement age yet (the bulk of those buses are ten years old; only a handful of them are any older). Sadly Orion 5 CNGs 581-610 will be history as they're 15 years old so they'll be retired without hesitation. And if it's any safer to say, the Ex-Triboro CNGs in the 7200 range may go too.

CNG buses retire at 10 years if they dont get their CNG tanks re-certified IIRC. In the case of the old C40LFs, they are bound to be retired/moved. The Orion V CNG batch between 581-610 had their tanks re-certified for another couple of years.

I'm in total and complete shock right now! I've wanted New Flyer to come back to NYC for a few years now and now it's happening! Thank you God!!!! I just hope that the buses are of good quality and that we don't have similar problems on those buses that Orion has had with the OG's/NG's. Time will tell but for now, I'm SUPER HAPPY!!!!! :cool: :o :tup:

CNG buses retire at 10 years if they dont get their CNG tanks re-certified. In the case of the old C40LFs, they are bound to be retired/moved.

How long is a re-certified bus good for? In addition, with the cuts that just hit, won't the ratio of buses to come in may be significantly less than the buses that it will push out (including those at storage)?

I'm in total and complete shock right now! I've wanted New Flyer to come back to NYC for a few years now and now it's happening! Thank you God!!!! I just hope that the buses are of good quality and that we don't have similar problems on those buses that Orion has had with the OG's/NG's. Time will tell but for now, I'm SUPER HAPPY!!!!! :cool: :o :tup:

Nothing is ever perfect. There will always be issues with new equipment, its inevitable......

How long is a re-certified bus good for? In addition, with the cuts that just hit, won't the ratio of buses to come in may be significantly less than the buses that it will push out (including those at storage)?

3-5 years IIRC, maybe more. In addition to this, with the recent cuts that have affected Jackie Gleason routes, its one reason why West Farms took the bulk of 1997-1999 V CNGs from Jackie Gleason.

Like previous orders, older buses would move while the new buses come in, so the ratio would pretty much stay the same, as the new flyer's that would be retired would be in the 1998-1999 range for the most part.

So New Flyer gets this one. Sweet. As good as the LFRs look, I hope that this one does not disappoint. I have to see the scheme on this one as well. I think the 135 buses are going to push out the older LFs at Gleason, who knows.

As of right now, the bus is the C40LF. Not the LFR. The LF has not been discontinued.

As of right now, the bus is the C40LF. Not the LFR. The LF has not been discontinued.

That cant be right, on their website, they only offer 3 series of buses, the LF Restyled (LFR), the Xcelsior & the BRT fleet. The last LF series buses that were produced IIRC were the DE60LFs for Chicago & The DE41LFs for SEPTA.

This post further reinforces that you pull crap out of your ass just for the hell of it - The LF has been discontinued. No new orders have been accepted for it. The only LFs being built as of now are off contracts that were signed before the discontinuation.

Here's a little piece of advice Dante: Don't start postings with unconfirmed information or information you got from "contacts" until you see some sort of signed documentation or report stating such. We could do without all this "speculation" and "fanasty". Things never ever go according to plan 99% of the time. Hell this C40LFR order isn't even confirmed yet, no sign of a report or anything!

Archived