Catenary Improvements Continue on Metro-North's New Haven Line

IRT Bronx Express

689%20GA-1%20W-4_2.jpg

In order to continue to provide reliable service, MTA Metro-North Railroad and the Connecticut Department of Transportation (ConnDOT) are replacing the overhead catenary wires that power trains on the New Haven Line. This project will fully replace the original catenary system first erected in 1907.

It’s difficult to convey the magnitude of a construction job that began in 1991and won’t be finished until 2021, but that is what is going on along the New Haven Line - the busiest rail line in America, with more than 330 trains a day! And the work is being done while trains are operating on time 96.8 percent of the time.

Read more: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=154

There used to be a lot more wire when the new haven was a functioning privately run railroad, just be glad it isn't rehabbing THAT footprint, that woulda taken even longer! Same with PRR, they both had a very large electrified system compared to today.

In any case, it's not just because of the M8's, the acela and HHP8's draw way, way more power than any 89-100 mph commuter equipment. and run under the same exact wires.

- A

The PRR wires look like a walk in the park compared to the New Haven Catenary.

I believe there are several different profiles they use vs PRR territory. Reading mostly followed PRR's lead whereas NYNH&H had triangular, simple, compound and in some areas trolly wire style layouts. Let me see if i can find some photos online....

ohl003.gif

They used all 3 types plus several others.

- A

Archived