Only RTS buses in movies

Eastman346

Do the (MTA) only allow the movie companies to use RTS buses to appear in movies? I ask because I seen Spiderman 3 and I am legend recently and the only buses that they used were RTS type buses. If you look around the system is dominated by New Flyer and Orion buses. I could be wrong.

It deppends on the movie. When I watch movies that are taped, or appear to be taped in NYC, I look specifically for buses. RTS's are used 95% of the time. Ive seen 8420 in 3 movies which include The Hulk, and 16 Blocks. I have also seen every make used in the MTA fleet. Hybrids, Orion V's from NYCT and MTA Bus, C40's in Brooklyn, D60's in Manhattan and the Bronx. I've seen them all, but by far the RTS is used the most. You can always tell the real MTA buses in the newer movies because they will be something other than an un-repowered RTS. It's rare, but you might catch a TMC or Nova.

Do the (MTA) only allow the movie companies to use RTS buses to appear in movies? I ask because I seen Spiderman 3 and I am legend recently and the only buses that they used were RTS type buses. If you look around the system is dominated by New Flyer and Orion buses. I could be wrong.

Dominated by Orions yes. New Flyers, no. The RTS still remains the second most used bus, and thats only if you dont separate Orion into HF and LF categories. There are not even 1000 New Flyers if you add both types together. There are still more than 1,800 RTS's around. This includes MTA Bus.

They've liked using RTSs frequently, especially if you notice the 1980s/early 90s non-repowers because that's a way MTA gets rid of em, selling em as movie buses and then the movie company goes and destroys em. Sweet. :mad:

The 8420 used in movies is just a mockup. 8420 is shown as a street exhaust with a 6V-92TA in 16 Blocks (I could hear the engine in the movie) but never was a street exhaust with a 92. Also the sign resolution is different and its unchanging from M102 VIA 3 AV

The 8420 used in movies is just a mockup. 8420 is shown as a street exhaust with a 6V-92TA in 16 Blocks (I could hear the engine in the movie) but never was a street exhaust with a 92. Also the sign resolution is different and its unchanging from M102 VIA 3 AV
Thanks for telling us, I was starting to think it was a real MTA TMC RTS being used (only heard about 8420 being in movies, never saw the movies).

In Law and Order they use RTS buses too, but they look VERY fake.

never noticed the buses in the NYC-obvious movies, but i remember that movie from the 90's SPEED with the guy has to keep the bus over 55 MPH i seen those kinds of buses on the Q11 before MTA took over

i don't think SPEED was shot in NYC though the end part with the subway looked alot like Los Angeles

never noticed the buses in the NYC-obvious movies, but i remember that movie from the 90's SPEED with the guy has to keep the bus over 55 MPH i seen those kinds of buses on the Q11 before MTA took over

i don't think SPEED was shot in NYC though the end part with the subway looked alot like Los Angeles

Speed was filmed in California and the bus was a Santa Monica Municipal Bus Lines GMC New Look. Buses like that were not on the Q11 before the MTA took over Green Lines.

He may be referring to the very old Fishbowls Green Lines used to have. If he's been around that long, or he may be thinking of a Classic or RTS. Actually in the front those Fishbowls have quite a similar looking windshield to the RTSs, and they're a bit curvy, and a Classic is just a Fishbowl chassis with different aesthetics.

They've liked using RTSs frequently, especially if you notice the 1980s/early 90s non-repowers because that's a way MTA gets rid of em, selling em as movie buses and then the movie company goes and destroys em. Sweet. :mad:

Yep, and 8420 was formerly 8058

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring up such an old thread. I live up in Canada not far from Oakville, ON. I went to investigate the rumored buses. Now there are 3 units but two were out for filming. I caught the third unit sitting. The VIN is 1TUMDT9AXLR827832. Someone mentioned that the unit is #8057. It was built February of 1991. Anyone know what depot it came from? I will try and find the other two later on. Here is a link on my flickr of 8057 or "8420". If anyone can provide more info that would be great.

I know 8057 was part of Gun Hill Depot in the bronx as a 1991 Model before they got repowered the engines in 2003 that didnt last too long they soon was retired then reactived to operate MTA Bus Routes then retired out as 1996 Nova RTS buses were displaced due to New Generation Buses entering the fleet

Archived