Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

I know it's just a pipe dream, but extend the Archer Avenue Line ((E)(J)(Z)) to 168th Street.
I forgot about that one.

Or at least to Merrick Blvd.

Then you can build an underground passage to the lower level of the 165th Bus Terminal (there is a lower level but it is not open to the public).

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (1) can't even go to Staten Island. The South Ferry station is not steep enough. It has to be steeper so a tunnel can even go underneath the harbor. Also a Manhattan to Staten Island tunnel is extremely long, and would be too expensive to construct. The Brooklyn to Staten Island tunnel is much more possible, and is cheaper to construct. It will also be done much quickly as well, and besides the SIR uses BMT/IND standards making it even more difficult for subway lines like the (1) IRT to work there.

Why are ppl in general so obssessed with extending the (1) for?

I think its geography. People see the (1) heading due south (based on the map) for its entire length. Also, while experts know the map isn't to scale, it looks (based on the map) that the distance to SI looks similar to any one of those under river tunnels the map also depict the other services going through. Finally, the ferry goes a similar route and these people that suggest this think of this as eventually replacing the ferry altogether.

• 1 month later...

There hasn't been a new route since 2 months ago so I made a route to post on here.

The R110A Special!

Between Grand Central-42 Street to Harlem-148 Street. Uptown only. It runs R110A's.

It can be made because Track 4 still has a connection to the Seventh Avenue Line and there's a switch above 96th Street that it can use.

Sorry if this is bumping the thread.

• 1 month later...

The new 8 Ave, blue (Z)

Start at Francis Lewis Boulevard & Jamaica Avenue

continues down Jamaica Avenue till 168 St then curves from Jamaica to 168 to Archer Ave to merge back with the (J)

Two way skip-stop service between Sutphin Blvd & Myrtle Ave (all times except nights) & two way express service between Myrtle & Marcy Avenues, underground (also all times except nights)

Right before Bowery, the (Z) will diverge from the (J) & Bowery will be an "express/local" looking station, with both sides open to accommodate the (J) & (Z).

After Bowery, the (Z) will run under Spring Street, till 6 Ave & merge with the (A) on the express track. The (Z) will run express from 14 St (8 Ave) till 59 St Columbus Circle all times.

After 59 Street, it will run east under Central Park & 68 St till 2 Avenue & then merge with the (Q) on the express track of the 2 Ave line (also all times).

The (Q)(T) & (Z) will run till 125 St in Manhattan then 3 Ave-138 St in The Bronx, then before 3 Ave-149 St the (Z) would diverge from the (Q) & (T) & become the IND Castle Hill line.

The (Z) would run up 3 Ave, Boston Road, E 180 St, E Tremont Ave & Castle Hill Ave.

The stops would be like this from after 3 Ave-149 St.

157 St / 3 Avenue

168 St / 3 Avenue

170 St / Boston Road

Crotona Pkwy / E 180 St

E 180 St / Morris Park Ave, transfer to the (2), (5) & the IRT E 180 St (S) (created by me, of course)

White Plains Road / E Tremont Ave

Westechester Ave / Castle Hill Ave, transfer to the (3) & (6)

Bruckner Boulevard / Castle Hill Ave

Castle Hill-Randall Ave / Castle Hill Ave

If the Manhattan bridge south side was closed, this is how i would set things.

(Q6Av)

From Jamaica-179 St to Brighton beach

The (Q6Av) has the following stops:

Jamaica-179 St (F)

Parsons Blvd (F)

Union Tpke (E)(F)

71 Av (E)(F)(M)(R)

The (Q6Av) has all (F) stops until Broadway Lafayette

B-Way Lafayette (6)(B)(D)(F)(M)

Grand St (B)(D) ((J)(Z))

Dekalb Av (B)(R)

The (Q6Av) has all the current (B) stops to Brighton Beach.

The (B) is Brighton local to replace the (Q), and extended to Coney Island

Guest lance25

Of course, you'd have to run the (Q6Av) at severely reduced frequencies with the (E) and (F) on the Queens Blvd express tracks and the (F) and (M) on the 6th Avenue local ones. Not knocking your idea or anything; just saying.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is the (Q6Av) (different to the old one though).

Stations:

Forest Hills 71 Ave [/b]

Roosevelt Ave

Queensbridge

Roosevelt Island

Lex Av

57st

Rockefeller Cntr

W4st

Atlantic Ave

36st

59st

Kings Hwy

Coney Island

Basically it'd be express on the Queens Blvd, Super-express on the 6th Ave Line, express on the 4th Ave Line and Super-Express on the Sea-Beach Line.

The line would use R-68s and R-143s. Not very realistic right (LOL).

"This is a Brooklyn-bound (Q6Av) express train, the next stop is Rockefeller Center. Stand clear of the doors!"

Edited by KTrain
Made an error with the bulletpoints ;D

Of course, you'd have to run the (Q6Av) at severely reduced frequencies with the (E) and (F) on the Queens Blvd express tracks and the (F) and (M) on the 6th Avenue local ones. Not knocking your idea or anything; just saying.

Eh, I'd probably cut the (M) back to the (Mx) and run the (Q6Av) QBL/6 Av Lcl via 53 St, However it would still go to J-179, but via the local tracks.

Basically it'd be express on the Queens Blvd, Super-express on the 6th Ave Line, express on the 4th Ave Line and Super-Express on the Sea-Beach Line.

Er.... your proposed (Q6Av) Super Express = Deathgrip on (:)(D)(Q6Av) service by clogging the tunnels.

That bottleneck is too big for to have three express lines like that.

My idea of the (C) being the Culver Express to Coney Island with the (F) remaining the Culver Local (but only to Church Avenue, except overnights when it would run as it does now) also has a bottleneck, but a MUCH smaller one that is only one station (Broadway-Lafayette), with the (C), (F) and (M) all stopping there (with the (E) replacing the (C) to Euclid and a new (K) train supplementing with 4-5 tph peak and 2tph overnights between Chambers-168).

Er.... your proposed (Q6Av) Super Express = Deathgrip on (B)(D)(Q6Av) service by clogging the tunnels.

I'd make the (;) 6 AV Local and bring back the old (Mx) service. Oh, and the (F) would become Queens Boulevard LCL at all times to replace the (M) meaning the (E) would become Queens Boulevard EXP at all times.

Since I never posted it in this thread, my revival for the 3rd Avenue El, which unlike the old one would be built to BMT/IND Standards, be double decked with limited exceptions and would mark the return of double letters as the current 8th Avenue (C) train would take back the old 70(AA) name (and run to Euclid as the (C) does now) while the new 3rd Avenue El Express/South Ferry Branch would be the (C) while the local/World Trade Center branch would take the old 70(CC) name:

As for the stops:

South Ferry Branch (Express to Gun Hill Road, Bronx):

South Ferry (Terminal, Transfer to (1)/®, MetroCard transfer to (4)/(5) at Bowling Green.

Seaport (transfer to (T), MetroCard transfer to 2/3/4/5/A/C/J and World Trade Center/Battery Park Branch at Fulton Transportation Center)

World Trade Center/Battery Park City Branch (Local to 125th Street/Broadway-12th Avenue):

Battery Park City (Terminal)

World Trade Center (Transfer to 2/3/4/5/A/C/J)

Park Row-Chambers Street (Transfer to 4/5/6/J)

Both Branches (after Chatam Square, express is on upper level, local on lower level except for 125th Street):

Chatam Square (transfer between both branches and (T), only stop where all tracks are on same level to allow for G.O.'s).

Grand Street-Bowery (Express/Local, transfer to B/D/T/J)

Houston Street (Local only, MetroCard transfer to (F) at 2nd Avenue, Exits on The Bowery at Houston and Bleecker Streets)

11th-14th Street (Express/Local, transfer to L/T, Metrocard transfer at 14th/4th Avenue-Union Square to 4/5/6/L/N/Q/R)

23rd Street (Local Only, exits at 20th and 23rd)

34th Street (Local Only, exits at 31th and 34th)

42nd Street (Express/Local, Transfer to 4/5/6/7/S/T, exits at 42nd and 44th)

50th-53rd Streets (Express/Local, transfer to 6/E/M/T)

60th-63rd Streets (Express/Local, transfer to 4/5/6/N/R at 60th and F/Q at 63rd)

72nd Street (Local only, exits at 72nd and 75th Streets)

86th Street (Local only, exits at 85th, 86th and 88th Streets, MetroCard transfer to 4/5/6/T)

96th Street (Local only, exits at 94th and 96th Street)

110th Street (Local only, exits at 107th and 110th Streets)

Between 110th and 125th Streets, the tracks would come up/down to align four across long enough so that trains can cross over when needed for G.O.'s and so the local can go to the upper level and express to the lower level.

125th Street (Express stop on lower level, local stop on upper level, exits at 122nd and 125th Street).

At this point, the new (C) and new 70(CC) would break up.

The 70(CC) Local would go west (along with possibly the (Q) from the SAS) and make the following stops, all on 125th Street:

Lexington-Park Avenues (Transfer at Lexington Avenue for 4/5/6/T, transfer at Park Avenue for Metro North).

Lenox Avenue (Transfer to (2)/(3))

St. Nicholas Avenue (Transfer to A/B/C/D)

Broadway-12th Avenues (Low elevated terminal with (Q), transfer to (1)).

The new (C) express would be joined by the (T) from the SAS for the Bronx portion of the new 3rd Avenue El, making the following stops:

138th Street (Transfer to (6))

149th Street (Transfer to (2)/(5))

161st Street (Exits at 158th and 161st Street)

Claremont Parkway (Exits at 169th Street and Claremont Parkway)

Tremont Avenue (Exits at Tremont Avenue and 180th Street)

Fordham Road

Bedford Park Boulevard (Exits at Bedford Park Blvd. and 203rd Street)

210th Street

Gun Hill Road (Terminal with (T), Transfer to ((2)/(5))

• 2 weeks later...

New Second Av Subway Plan:

South of 63 St:

(P)-Express

(X)-Express-(Mon-Fri) Local-(Sat-Sun)

(O) & <O>-Local

(T)- Local, no service south of 63 St weekends.

North of 63 St:

(Q)-Rush-Hour Express, other times Local.

(T)-Local

Detailed Plan: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bvCzwh595lN8XGGf2WEwabPUAu6duT5jtrta9wa8sZY/edit

Edited by ThrexxBus

I decided to place the plan here.

SECOND AVE SUBWAY

South of 63rd St:

Between Houston & 55 Sts: A normal 4 track local-express arrangement.

Between Grand & Houston Sts: Double-decked, local tracks on top, express on bottom.

Between Grand St & Hannover Sq, and 55 st-63 st: Two tracked line.

Stops: ALL CAPS: EXPRESS

Regular text: Local

(O) & (T) only:

Hannover Sq

Seaport

Chatham Sq

(P) & (X) Join:

GRAND ST

HOUSTON ST-2ND AV (Transfer to: (F)/New (V))

8th St.

14th St,

23RD ST-WATERSIDE PLZ

28th St.

34th St.

42ND ST-UNITED NATIONS (Transfer to: (4)/(5)/(6)/<6>/(7)/<7>/(S))

47th St.

55 ST (Transfer to: (E)/New (V)/(YY)/(K))

(P) & (X) Split off from line, (O) & <O> go to Queens.

63rd St.

North of 63rd St:

63rd St-125th st: 3-track Local/Express Line.

Stops:

(Q): Joins from 63rd St. Subway.

63RD ST.

72nd St.

79th St.

86TH ST.

96th St.

106TH ST.

116th St.

125TH ST. (Transfer to: (4)/(5)/(6)/<6>)

(Q): Travels to 12 Av via 125 st.

Park Av.

5th Av.

Powell Bl. (7th Av.) (Transfer To: (2)/(3))

St. Nicholas Av.

Amsterdam Av.

12 Av.

(T): To Crotona Pk Via Prospect Av.

E. 143rd St.

E. 149th St.

E. 156th St.

E. 163rd St.

Home St.

Crotona Pk S

here my fictional subway.

Connect the M metropolitan Ave station to 71 ave continental Ave station. The M will go round and round while the train driver get no break. lol

Lol, but not a bad idea!

P.S. Here is my fantasy RUSH HOUR PROJECT subway expansion plan: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zDkEJ1d0N4DOh6jpW-S7sDP6zzaIBt1k7Uo9ax-M86I/edit

Edited by ThrexxBus

Here is the finished RUSH HOUR PROJECT for subway expansion.;)

Purposes of lines:

10/Amsterdam Ave: Lines will supplement 8th Ave & B'way line services, mainly between 57 Street & 191 Street, due to Super Express service between 59 Street & 125 Street on (A) & (D) and overcrowding on (1)/(2)/(3). (Cars: R40 Slant & M, R44, R46, R160, R211.)

5 Avenue: Lines will supplement East Side services. (Cars: R62, R62A, R33A & R36 (Redbirds) before 2003, R142, R177.)

(HH): Direct service to Battery Park City from Brooklyn. (Cars: R46, R211)

(V)/(U) & (Y): To alleviate crowding on (J)/(Z) line & better service Woodhaven, Ozone Park, Lindenwood & Howard Beach.

New Yard at Decatur St for Y train. (Decatur St Yard)

To clarify the P/X Manhattan corridor, I made this map:

CLICK

The only diference is that the lines go up Amsterdam Ave between 57 Street & 110 Street.

Specific routing details coming soon.

Edited by ThrexxBus

Similiar to Create your own bus route! in our MTA Bus Operations forum, create your own subway route. Assign your subway route a route bullet, describe the route, station locations and transfers, assign cars (past, present or future subway cars), and assign a yard. Most of all have fun!

Most people who post here forget the original requirements, so I decided to repost them.

I forgot about the yard and cars. Does it have to be an existing yard?

I would use R160s as the standard cars and R46s and R68s as backups.

As i've never been to NY i don't know what stops there are, but my line would(for those who don't remember) be a fictional (JFK) that connects all commercial airports in NYC, including Newark.