R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DMD64) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Nope in reality I hope the builders of the original R68's Westinghouse would be rewarded with the contract to build the R179's.

Good luck with that one

Guest lance25

They have to be 60 footers because something has to replace the R42s over at East New York.

Plus, that capital budget plan is from 2008 when the R160 order was slated to replace all car classes ordered before the R44s. Since the R160s wound up replacing the R44s and the 60' R32s & R42s still around, this plan is obsolete and has been modified as part of the 2010-2014 Capital Plan.

Edited by lance25
added more.

They have to be 60 footers because something has to replace the R42s over at East New York.

Plus, that capital budget plan is from 2008 when the R160 order was slated to replace all car classes ordered before the R44s. Since the R160s wound up replacing the R44s and the 60' R32s & R42s still around, this plan is obsolete and has been modified as part of the 2010-2014 Capital Plan.

Are you sure? I'm being told the 179's will still be 75 footers.

No they are going to be 60 feet. the car order is 290...250 five car sets and 40 four car sets, the latter of which will be for the Eastern Division. And we all know how well 75-foot cars are in the Eastern Division. :(

Guest lance25

No, I'll admit I don't know, but like I said, something has to replace the R42s and unless the (MTA) decides to split up some 5-car R160 sets, the R179s (at least the ones that have to go to East New York) will need to be 4-car sets at 60' per car. I also don't see them ordering two different size cars for one fleet as that adds to the expenses.

But hey, I'm just speculating.

All this talk of 60 or 75 footers, isn't there a small possiblity that the R179's could be 67 footers? They can be used on the (J)(M)(Z) and (L) with special modification. If I remember correctly, BMT Standards were 67 Ft., but they had special traction motors and trucks to allow them pass through the curves of the Myrtle/Canarsie lines.

All this talk of 60 or 75 footers, isn't there a small possiblity that the R179's could be 67 footers? They can be used on the (J)(M)(Z) and (L) with special modification. If I remember correctly, BMT Standards were 67 Ft., but they had special traction motors and trucks to allow them pass through the curves of the Myrtle/Canarsie lines.

Would the MTA really want to run 7-car trains of 67-footers (7*67=469 ft)? And modifications cost $$$, you know.

Would the MTA really want to run 7-car trains of 67-footers (7*67=469 ft)? And modifications cost $$$, you know.

Well it won't cost money if they build them like that :( and yes they would, more space and more seats for customers = less complaining.

No they are going to be 60 feet. the car order is 290...250 five car sets and 40 four car sets, the latter of which will be for the Eastern Division. And we all know how well 75-foot cars are in the Eastern Division. :(

Ok thanks. So I'm assuming that the way the cars are being put into sets only apply to 60 footers?

Guest lance25
The R110B were 67 footers, and they ran without problems in the subway system for years. Any 67 footers on the (A), and the (C) would be 9 cars in length, and those on the Jamaica Elevated would have to be anywhere between 7-8 cars.

Except that they needed their own conductor's board because the ones there were for the standard 60 or 75 footer. That limits where the trains can travel and is why the R110Bs never strayed from the IND.

Edited by lance25
directed my comment

Not to pile on, but that cost money that the agency isn't willing to spend. An oddball fleet that requires every even number car marker to be altered for 7 car trains that are shorter than the 60 foot cars (A 480 ft R160 vs. your 469 ft train).

The R110B were 67 footers, and they ran without problems in the subway system for years. Any 67 footers on the (A), and the (C) would be 9 cars in length, and those on the Jamaica Elevated would have to be anywhere between 7-8 cars.

They were only on the (A) and (C) and you notice their length wasn't carried over to all B division NTTs. Let's also not get into the custom conductor boards.

Not to pile on, but that cost money that the agency isn't willing to spend. An oddball fleet that requires every even number car marker to be altered for 7 car trains that are shorter than the 60 foot cars (A 480 ft R160 vs. your 469 ft train).

The (MTA) has done it in the past for car orders like the R44/46 and 68/A, and it's not like millions of dollars are going to be spent to make less than 600 signs for stations that are the size of a mousepad. Some even exist in some stations. I've seen 4, 6, 8, 9 and 10 car markers on the 8 Ave line (A)(C)(E).