R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

11 hours ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Alright guys come on stop arguing. We all share a passion of transit and railfanning and everyone posts info here based on information that is available to the public or if they have family, friends that work for transit. As of now, I think its evident that R160s will likely run on the (A) next week since a few sets were transferred from CI to Rockaway Park. Since phase 1 beings Monday, subway service will return to full capacity but I don't think you will see 3 (F) trains in a row bound for 179 st or 3 (A) trains in a row bound for 207th, etc. Right now, trains run every 8 minutes so I'm guessing they may downgrade it to 6. Someone can correct me on the headways if I'm wrong. 

They are already running on the A. I was on 9226 earlier today.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

As of now, I think its evident that R160s will likely run on the (A) next week since a few sets were transferred from CI to Rockaway Park. Since phase 1 beings Monday, subway service will return to full capacity but I don't think you will see 3 (F) trains in a row bound for 179 st or 3 (A) trains in a row bound for 207th, etc. Right now, trains run every 8 minutes so I'm guessing they may downgrade it to 6. Someone can correct me on the headways if I'm wrong. 

What we now about car assignments and anyone can correct me if Im wrong is that the (A) will be R46 and R160 the (C) will be R46 with two ENY R160s and the (J)(Z) will be R32, R143 and R160. As far as headways how is 8 minutes to 6 minutes a downgrade?

On 6/6/2020 at 5:52 AM, Dj Hammers said:

The switches at Kings Highway are out of service until around September, so regular weekday service likely won’t return until then. New switch machines are being installed that are incompatible with the existing GRS Model 5 interlocking machine. Next time a switch throws at Kings Highway it’ll be under the control of the new interlocking being constructed there.

This is why the F for the time being will continue to run the essential service schedule - the base F schedule is inoperable right now due to Kings Highway being unavailable. In the interim it is possible that a supplement schedule will be written with slightly increased service and a few trains turning at 18ave. Either way, the F’s train requirements are reduced compared to the base schedule which is a major help in this situation.

Yesterday afternoon, 5 R160s from Culver Yard were transferred to Rockaway Park Yard. Overnight, several more consists from JYD and 179 layup were transferred to Pitkin Yard. One of them is a Siemens set. 

28 R32s are currently at ENY now after 3 transfer movements yesterday evening. Given that access to/from 207 yard isn’t available this weekend due to a GO, that number isn’t likely to change until Monday at the earliest.

The GO with the removal of Kings Highway is going to be very interesting. It is more than just a few trains ending at 18th. I would love to fan it, but won't due to the pandemic.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:52 AM, Dj Hammers said:

The switches at Kings Highway are out of service until around September, so regular weekday service likely won’t return until then. New switch machines are being installed that are incompatible with the existing GRS Model 5 interlocking machine. Next time a switch throws at Kings Highway it’ll be under the control of the new interlocking being constructed there.

This is why the F for the time being will continue to run the essential service schedule - the base F schedule is inoperable right now due to Kings Highway being unavailable. In the interim it is possible that a supplement schedule will be written with slightly increased service and a few trains turning at 18ave. Either way, the F’s train requirements are reduced compared to the base schedule which is a major help in this situation.

About the (F) , are the <F> trippers cancelled or running on different times?

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, happy283 said:

Why is trip planner saying that the (A)(C) is running an essential schedule on Monday and wont resume to normal until tuesday? Could it be the fleet shortage?

Since nobody on this page programs The MTA trip planner, may I suggest you Email the MTA directly?  There is an Email link on their site.

1 hour ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Since nobody on this page programs The MTA trip planner, may I suggest you Email the MTA directly?  There is an Email link on their site.

I tried calling. It was no use. I couldnt reach an agent. I was wondering if anybody knew information that either supported or refuted that.

Edited by happy283

7 hours ago, happy283 said:

Why is trip planner saying that the (A)(C) is running an essential schedule on Monday and wont resume to normal until tuesday? Could it be the fleet shortage?

I doubt that the MTA will be able to provide 100% normal service by tomorrow, especially in the B division. The A division is in better shape despite losing a few r142's in March due to the fire in Harlem.

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I doubt that the MTA will be able to provide 100% normal service by tomorrow, especially in the B division. The A division is in better shape despite losing a few r142's in March due to the fire in Harlem.

Whats confusing is that every other line has 100% normal service according to trip planner. If they were to reduce service Wouldnt it be select runs on all lines to reduce the impacts of crowding?

Wow...In all my years of riding the subway  ive never saw or heard of this....A train decoupling...even when the subway fleet  was at it's worst in the 80s ive never heard of something like this...2020 been such a Jekyll and Hyde year for the subway and our ppl in this country.....Just when they thought it was safe to retire the 32s....

lol at "Mega exclusive".

Got to ride the Siemens 160 (A) train today, I wasn't railfanning today, just using the subway to travel to the park to enjoy an nice day. The first (A) to show up just happened to be an Siemens 160, you can tell the T/O is not used to those cars, the T/O started slowing down long before the curve before West 4th, started slowing down for Nostrand Ave at Clifton - Washington.... usually they start slowing down for Nostrand around Franklin Ave. I am NOT criticizing the T/O, just an observation.

I guess the braking characteristics between the Siemens 160 and the R179 is drastically different...? I know it was said that Siemens 160 brakes tend to slide where's the Astom Onix ones do not, but that was said when the R160s were new. Since then the warranty ended, they went though SMS, etc, they could be drastically different now, IDK. But man those Siemens 160s are fast, that train was MOVING! All and all it was a fun ride.

30 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

The first (A) to show up just happened to be an Siemens 160, you can tell the T/O is not used to those cars, the T/O started slowing down long before the curve before West 4th, started slowing down for Nostrand Ave at Clifton - Washington.... usually they start slowing down for Nostrand around Franklin Ave. I am NOT criticizing the T/O, just an observation.

There could have just been a train in front of it. That happens when with the R46s when two trains are close together.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

lol at "Mega exclusive".

Got to ride the Siemens 160 (A) train today, I wasn't railfanning today, just using the subway to travel to the park to enjoy an nice day. The first (A) to show up just happened to be an Siemens 160, you can tell the T/O is not used to those cars, the T/O started slowing down long before the curve before West 4th, started slowing down for Nostrand Ave at Clifton - Washington.... usually they start slowing down for Nostrand around Franklin Ave. I am NOT criticizing the T/O, just an observation.

I guess the braking characteristics between the Siemens 160 and the R179 is drastically different...? I know it was said that Siemens 160 brakes tend to slide where's the Astom Onix ones do not, but that was said when the R160s were new. Since then the warranty ended, they went though SMS, etc, they could be drastically different now, IDK. But man those Siemens 160s are fast, that train was MOVING! All and all it was a fun ride.

Hmmm interesting. How did your T/O handle the huge curve after 125th? And timers near 86 st / 81 st? Is it also true that R179s accelerate faster than the R160s?

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

There could have just been a train in front of it. That happens when with the R46s when two trains are close together.

There was no train in front of us, I was waiting at 59th for a few minutes before the train came. 

31 minutes ago, Fuseguy is Cool said:

Hmmm interesting. How did your T/O handle the huge curve after 125th? And timers near 86 st / 81 st? Is it also true that R179s accelerate faster than the R160s?

I got on at 59th Street.

For your second question, I don't know.

12 minutes ago, bwwnyc123 said:

Yes all Subway Lines will run on a Weekday Schedule.

How come subway time has been displaying 10 minute headways for the (A) when they should be running every 5 mins at least? And MTA website says no Rockaway Park Service.

1 minute ago, Abba said:

It does not appear some subway lines are running weekday schedule. Not sure if it’s a subway time error.

Thats what I am trying to figure out. If your in the subway it could be tested out. It only seems to be the (A)(C) which according to trip planner resumes normal service tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, happy283 said:

How come subway time has been displaying 10 minute headways for the (A) when they should be running every 5 mins at least? And MTA website says no Rockaway Park Service.

10 minutes ago, Abba said:

It does not appear some subway lines are running weekday schedule. Not sure if it’s a subway time error.

So they are running an expanded essential service. Not normal serviceHeadways may be longer than normal and yes,  there's no Rockaway park A service (rush hour). Only the shuttle. 

The system isn't fully back to normal. Theres still Crews out,  ridership is no where near normal,  and many people still won't be returning to work just yet. 

Trip planner and subway time may or may not be working properly. But one thing is for sure,  the schedules are still not fully 100%. And honestly, subway time was nevwe 100% working right. 

The railroads are running at about 90% it's Norman schedule and all LIRR trains are off peak. 

Don't look for normal service anytime soon.  Just because NYC is at "phase 1" of re-opening doenst mean our transit system is back to normal.   We still have the overnight closure, and extra bus service during that time.