R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Far Rock Depot said:

Trip planner and subway time may or may not be working properly. But one thing is for sure,  the schedules are still not fully 100%. And honestly, subway time was never100% working right.

What was strange is that trip planner said the (A) will be normal tomorrow which doesnt make sense. Why not make it today  unless they dont have plans to at all or at least not yet.

23 minutes ago, happy283 said:

What was strange is that trip planner said the (A) will be normal tomorrow which doesnt make sense. Why not make it today  unless they dont have plans to at all or at least not yet.

Yeah,  don't go by trip planner.  The covid-19 page of mta. Info states that they will have normal weekday service yet in the very next sentence it says that they are ramping up to weekday service on most lines.   

Fact is, take all of what they say with a grain of salt. They still don't have all of their Crews working,  they still have 318 cars oos due to the incident at Chambers St. Not all of the lines will run.  Not all of the normal scheduled trips will run.   There's a pandemic. 

It probably won't be "normal" for a few weeks. Trip planner and subway time won't be adjusted perfectly. Even their website will have some misleading info. Even their Twitter updates can lack info and timing. 

The MTA like to pad their stats and status. Trust me on that. 

2 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

So they are running an expanded essential service. Not normal serviceHeadways may be longer than normal and yes,  there's no Rockaway park A service (rush hour). Only the shuttle. 

The system isn't fully back to normal. Theres still Crews out,  ridership is no where near normal,  and many people still won't be returning to work just yet. 

Trip planner and subway time may or may not be working properly. But one thing is for sure,  the schedules are still not fully 100%. And honestly, subway time was nevwe 100% working right. 

The railroads are running at about 90% it's Norman schedule and all LIRR trains are off peak. 

Don't look for normal service anytime soon.  Just because NYC is at "phase 1" of re-opening doenst mean our transit system is back to normal.   We still have the overnight closure, and extra bus service during that time. 

Been trying to get some forum members to understand this for the last week or two. I’ve pretty much given up on it. Perhaps some are school age people who have cabin fever. Most people of working age understand what’s going on in the real world. Many businesses haven’t finished reconfiguring  their workplaces to comply with the new guidelines and are working with skeleton crews so all of those other people are not going back to work anytime soon. There’s also many (MTA) Transportation crews out of work under quarantine . Then again we have a generation that gets their news from television which, I was taught , is only a snippet of the big picture. Wanna know the rest of the story then read the business pages of a real newspaper and not a tabloid or social media version. Just my take. YMMV. Carry on.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:12 AM, Collin said:

I would say no (Z), some 8 car R160s on the (C), and R143s on the (J).  The (A) could borrow R46s from Coney Island Yard, R68s from Concourse Yard, or R160s from Jamaica Yard.  Just depends on which yards have stuff available.  The spare ratio would be greatly reduced, but it's only a temporary problem.

If the R32s are reactivated, I would expect them to run in 10 car trains on the (A) and 8 car trains on the (J).  Since it's summer, I don't anticipate them going on the (C).  

That's too many cars for 2 lines to borrow. As of right now, I don't see any sign of (Z) coming back, the (B) and (W) are back supposedly and the R46s are needed at Coney Island, the (B)  uses some Concourse Cars, and Jamaica, and Avenue X loaned 10-car sets to the (A) already, while the (C) exchanges R32s for R160s. That's all that needs to be done.

4 hours ago, Far Rock Depot said:

So they are running an expanded essential service. Not normal serviceHeadways may be longer than normal and yes,  there's no Rockaway park A service (rush hour). Only the shuttle. 

The system isn't fully back to normal. Theres still Crews out,  ridership is no where near normal,  and many people still won't be returning to work just yet. 

Trip planner and subway time may or may not be working properly. But one thing is for sure,  the schedules are still not fully 100%. And honestly, subway time was nevwe 100% working right. 

The railroads are running at about 90% it's Norman schedule and all LIRR trains are off peak. 

Don't look for normal service anytime soon.  Just because NYC is at "phase 1" of re-opening doenst mean our transit system is back to normal.   We still have the overnight closure, and extra bus service during that time. 

I am not surprised.

Also, keep in mind that many people who went back to work today drove, instead of taking the train and only 200,000-400,000 were expected to be back to work today.

2 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

Just to clarify, is the (C) running R160s too? Because the R179s seriously are nuisance to the subway, and we have car shortages.  P.S. is 9003 the only Siemens on the (A)

?

I am on a siemens set now. 8982 is the first car meaning its a different set that the first one.

Just putting it out there that it may not be long before the R179s are back in service. The issue was quickly identified and only present on the train involved in the pull-apart incident. 

Bombardier wasn’t really responsible for this. This was a result of a QA/QC failure at WABTEC, which was the supplier of the linkbar equipment.

1 minute ago, Dj Hammers said:

Just putting it out there that it may not be long before the R179s are back in service. The issue was quickly identified and only present on the train involved in the pull-apart incident. 

Bombardier wasn’t really responsible for this. This was a result of a QA/QC failure at WABTEC, which was the supplier of the linkbar equipment.

So judging by this, we only have today (and possibly tomorrow) to catch the 160's on the (A) and 32's on the (J) (if that's running)?

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra
Spelling error

14 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

So judging by this, we only have today (and possibly tomorrow) to catch the 160's on the (A) and 32's on the (J) (if that's running)?

Not sure yet. The call still hasn’t been made and there is still some internal back-and-forth right now about next steps. It could be tomorrow, it could be next week, or next month. Just have to wait and see.

Edited by Dj Hammers

36 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

Let's hope that the inspectors do their due diligence with this. In my opinion, they got the OK a bit too fast. It's always the devil in the details that are overlooked which come back to haunt the (MTA). I understand that they desperately want to get these cars back in service but they have to be more intelligent than that and have a degree of foresight here that goes hand in hand with patience. @DJHammers is a good source and I trust his predictions.

6 hours ago, happy283 said:

Thats what I am trying to figure out. If your in the subway it could be tested out. It only seems to be the (A)(C) which according to trip planner resumes normal service tomorrow.

Yeah its a weekday schedule but reduced due to essential workers/service. 

3 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Not sure yet. The call still hasn’t been made and there is still some internal back-and-forth right now about next steps. It could be tomorrow, it could be next week, or next month. Just have to wait and see.

What are the chances of the rare catches still being present tomorrow?

20 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

It is Weekday Essential Service including All Subway Lines are back in service, (A)(C) Lines may still be low on Subway Cars because of no R179 even though they have some R160 running in its place and also R46 sets.

21 hours ago, happy283 said:

The (A) is not normal today as well looks like.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 8:01 AM, Abba said:

Lots of lines not running normal which is deceiving because the news said it would be a normal schedule today.

This is to EVERYBODY, not only to you Mr. Abba.

Too many of you still don't know that NYCT has their own vocabulary.  "Normal" to you guys is full service as per the timetable.  "Normal" to NYCT is all service running.  The B and W came back.  That's "Normal" to them. All services are running.  But many lines are on a SUPPLEMENT SCHEDULE.  That means fewer trains.  They don't need all those trains because there are fewer people riding.  Many businesses are STILL closed, many people are STILL working from home, there are practically NO TOURISTS.  R179's being out of service or not, they don't need all those trains, DESPITE SOCIAL DISTANCING! Finally, they are short crews as the pandemic has hit the crews big time, which has been said MANY times. 

Got it fellas?

Edited by Bill from Maspeth
adding sentence