R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a few years back, 68s were taken off the Q and replaced with slants only because it gave CI time to have new door strips installed on the 40 slants when the Q wasn't running (this was back when the D ran on Brighton). There were complaints by riders about that car switch which was continuously reported on the news. It doesn't happen often, but there are some instances of complaints. Now don't let that open up the flood gates saying every car switch is met by complaints. This one was one of those rare times where the majority of riders complained.

And the MTA must have ignored their complaints because R68s didn't return to the (Q) until it came home to the Broadway Line in 2001. Even then, the <Q> express still ran with slants. And when the (B) returned to Brooklyn in 2004 and replaced the <Q>, it ran with - you guessed it...slants! Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

I don't see why there would be complaints. It is just a train at the end of the day. They were running regular service on the Brighton right after 9/11 and when the Broadway side of the Manhattan Br was closed.

I believe the complaints were the same as they were 20 years earlier, and that those particular cars for whatever reason created more rumbling or something. They did briefly run there when the (Q) was merged with the (R) after 9-11, but were quickly taken off (I was fresh out on the road at the time, working extra-extra, and go the line several times, and by the time I worked it, it was just 68's and 32's, but I heard the 46's were on when it first started).

And the MTA must have ignored their complaints because R68s didn't return to the (Q) until it came home to the Broadway Line in 2001. Even then, the <Q> express still ran with slants. And when the (B) returned to Brooklyn in 2004 and replaced the <Q>, it ran with - you guessed it...slants!

I do remember seeing an R46 (Q) on the Express at Cortelyou Rd. It did not really have anything significant, just was not showing anything on the side-signs but the (Q) bullet.

Also remember seeing an R46 (Q) at Broadway Lafayette. That is when the <Q> was LOADED with R40s.

I believe the complaints were the same as they were 20 years earlier, and that those particular cars for whatever reason created more rumbling or something. They did briefly run there when the (Q) was merged with the (R) after 9-11, but were quickly taken off (I was fresh out on the road at the time, working extra-extra, and go the line several times, and by the time I worked it, it was just 68's and 32's, but I heard the 46's were on when it first started).

Ahh ok I feel you chief.

I recall the reason that the Q did not get R46s 11 years ago was due to lack of proper signage on the cars. Also, R68s are heavier and would therefore cause more vibrations.

There were proper signs on the cars. By that time, the digital program had every route (including parts of the (J) and (M) as far as Essex), and even many that weren't running or never ran.

• 2 weeks later...

That didn't stop the MTA in the past from ordering almost exclusively with St. Louis car with the R38-44. Until Kawasaki builds a lemon, there's nothing wrong with them. If we're going to go into MNCR, yes the M8 looks hideous.

Especially with them "Mohawk" headlights. Then the 2 destination signs on the front make it look like eyebrows lol

Guys take note, the M8 exterior was not designed by Kawasaki. They just built them. The exterior was designed by Vergara Studios. Cesar Vergara's work also includes: X2000, the Genesis engine (now known as P40), njt's apl46, those P42(?) diesel engine(he stated he wanted the Baldwin Shark look), their bi-level cars and their current paint scheme(he was their in-house designer during this time) and the M8 and it's color scheme which, btw, was originally supposed to have the mta logo in the black stripe where it meets the red while the MNR name was to be next to it in the red portion of the stripe. I've been following his work since MNR first got their Genesis engines and is a huge inspiration to me. A lot of my designs are similar to his due to our mutual like for Cadillac's design "touch". I hope to meet him one day.

But yeah, kawasaki can't be blamed for the look of the M8s.

Now back to topic. Lol

Correction: when Cesar Vergara's designed the M8s, he worked for Jacobs Engineering at the time.

m8industrialdesignexterior5sh.jpg

Edited by Far Rock Depot

Maybe the C will now become a 10 60ft car line, and the 40 cars that will give us 5 trains, will replace the rust buckets on the J/Z lines. Last time I counted, which was a few months ago, they had between 5 to 6 trains of R42's for the J/Z lines, which I usually only seen two to 3 actually used for service. The others were spares........

• 2 weeks later...