Union Square Wreck of 1991

3rd Avenue El

okay i know this is old news and maybe most of you are aware this happened. but i do not know much about it. i would really like to know more of this accident because the only information i have is that an R62 (4) train derailed outside of union square in '91 but i want to know what happened what caused it and if anybody got hurt. i would like to know why if they say it was a derailment the lead R62 car ended up like this

unionsquarewreck.jpg

if anybody has anymore knowledge of this please post it here. i would like to know how this happened why this happened and could it have been avoided

The lead car made it through the switch fine, as is typical for incidents involving excessive speed on switches.

In most cases, the first truck of the lead car will make it through fine; however it usually mangles up the switch in the process pretty badly. When the second truck comes to the switch then a derailment typically occurs. This is due to the mangled switch and the fact that the weight of the car body is pivoting on that truck.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The M/M was speeding in the area (he was operating the (4) train at the time of the incident. The consist of that train was 1431-1435, 1436-1440. 1435, 1436-1440 was all scrapped (1436 in 2006, 1437 scrapped on site. Since that left only 5 cars left, the surviving consist is 1431-1432-1433-1434-1438. That set is found on the (3) only.

okay i know this is old news and maybe most of you are aware this happened. but i do not know much about it. i would really like to know more of this accident because the only information i have is that an R62 (4) train derailed outside of union square in '91 but i want to know what happened what caused it and if anybody got hurt. i would like to know why if they say it was a derailment the lead R62 car ended up like this

unionsquarewreck.jpg

if anybody has anymore knowledge of this please post it here. i would like to know how this happened why this happened and could it have been avoided

Totally love the safety procedures there...

From NYC Subway.ORG. This is the fate of the cars, and the cars that were involved in the accident.

Cars 1435, 1436-1440

Cars 1436-1440 were the lead set of cars involved in the Union Square wreck of 8/28/1991. Car 1440 derailed, hit a pillar, and was left with a huge gash on the side. Car 1439 sustained end, roof, and side damage. Car 1437 hit a pillar and split in two. Car 1435, the 6th car in the train, was also damaged. Cars 1435, 1437, 1439, 1440 were scrapped. Car 1436 is still at the 207th St. Yard with some front end and body damage. Car 1438 is now in the series Cars 1431-2-3-4-8.

Mr. Stan Fischler included the story of The Union Square accident in 'The Subway'. Mr. Robert Ray reportedly was sleep deprived when he reported for work at Woodlawn.

The ill-fated (4) train, NYCTA Train 4-2333, overshot Mosholu Parkway by five cars (according to the C/R) then overshot Kingsbridge Road by one car and Fordham Road by two cars. The accident occurred at 12:12am.

The M/M was speeding in the area (he was operating the (4) train at the time of the incident. The consist of that train was 1431-1435, 1436-1440. 1435, 1436-1440 was all scrapped (1436 in 2006, 1437 scrapped on site. Since that left only 5 cars left, the surviving consist is 1431-1432-1433-1434-1438. That set is found on the (3) only.

Mr. Stan Fischler included the story of The Union Square accident in 'The Subway'. Mr. Robert Ray reportedly was sleep deprived when he reported for work at Woodlawn.

The ill-fated (4) train, NYCTA Train 4-2333, overshot Mosholu Parkway by five cars (according to the C/R) then overshot Kingsbridge Road by one car and Fordham Road by two cars. The accident occurred at 12:12am.

This guy wasnt sleep deprived. He was drunk and hopped up on crack..There were empty crack viles found in the cab. The crack wouldnt have shown up in the piss test cause it stays in the system for very very short periods of time. After the Crash Robery Ray ran home and hid there until they arrested him. By that time he was sobered up and cleared the urine test.

This guy wasnt sleep deprived. He was drunk and hopped up on crack..There were empty crack viles found in the cab. The crack wouldnt have shown up in the piss test cause it stays in the system for very very short periods of time. After the Crash Robery Ray ran home and hid there until they arrested him. By that time he was sobered up and cleared the urine test.

I heard somewhere that once he got out of the train, he spent some time drinking beer in Union Square Park while the rescue operation was going on.

I found several articles about the wreck from the New York Times, and it paints a pretty disturbing picture of someone who's issues were allowed to spiral out of control, and a system that condoned drinking more times than it should have.

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/r/robert_e_ray/index.html?offset=10&s=newest

I agree but the NTSB reported that Mr. Ray had finished his shift at 7:44am August 27, 1991 and didn't go to sleep until 8:00pm and awakened at 10:30pm.

Sadly, he made his way through the carnage, upstairs at 14th Street-Union Square, purchased a beer at at a Deli and sat in Union Square Park drinking it while watching the activity. He bought two more beers, then walked to Grand Central Terminal and caught a subway home. Enroute he purchased yet another beer. He was located at 5:55am.

That set has been on the (1) line yes i operated it last Pick...

don't you feel weird driving a train who some of the cars were in a wreck that killed people and hurt hundreds? does it not feel strange knowing that some of the cars in your train were involved on that fateful night?

Robert Ray was drunk as a skunk. I remember he was way over the legal limit for intoxication. IIRC, he wasn't hurt from the crash. It was a huge, HUGE mess. I was in Florida when it happened and I heard about it on the news down there.

Archived