SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. The 2227 Bowling Green-Dyer was the last (5) of the night. The (2) is handling overnight service.

I meant E 180 St being used as a north terminal, not south.

onthego.mta.info (and tripplanner) has a schedule showing that the first few (5) trains in the morning start service at E 180 St-Bowling Green and the last few (5) trains are Bowling Green-E 180 St (Saturday night only, Sunday is normal).

I finally remembered to post something I've been meaning to do for quite a while...

As you may know, some of the track maps on nycsubway.org are somewhat inaccurate. Well, [fairly] recently, Robert Marrero created a diagrammatic track map of the entire system which is entirely up to date. It's available as a pdf file and a png image in the link below.

http://b24blog.blogs...-842-miles.html

R68 = Built by Westinghouse ~ Fleet #s 2500-2924

R68A = Built by Kawasaki ~ Fleet #s 5001-5200

R68 = Built by Westinghouse ~ Fleet #s 2500-2924

R68A = Built by Kawasaki ~ Fleet #s 5001-5200

1.The door to the operator's cab slides open on an R68A as opposed to swinging open on an R68.

2. The R68 and R68A fleets have different window frames.

3. Unlike the R68s, the R68As do not feature rims around the red door indicator lights.

4. The "MTA New York City Subway" logos are arranged differently between the two car types.

5. The side ribbing runs all the way to the car ends and side doors on an R68, but taper off on approach on an R68A.

6. Only the R68s have a metal bar separating the side sign from window, while the R68A has one solid pane of glass.

7. The R68s have unit numbers in the 2000-series while the R68As have numbers in the 5000-series.

Anything else I'm forgetting, please post/add below....

That's some detailed stats right there.

There's some more differences:

1) The builder nameplates are clearly different, that's a well known fact we all know. R68Bs say Westinghouse, whereas the R68As say Kawasaki. Some of the cars numbered between 2725-2924 (can't exactly remember) carrys the Alstom or the Jeumont Schneider plate.

2) The exterior of the R68A are dull, whereas the exterior of the R68A are shiny (seems that way to me) Don't quote me on this but I think I'm right. Must be the slight differences in the metal alloys used in the carbody. construction.

3) The cab doors are different. The 68A cab door slides open, the 68 cab door open into the cab.

At the moment, the only operable car wash in the INT/BMT is at CCY, and trains of all types and from all yards have gone up there to wash recently (from R32 all the way to R160, only thing not seen yet is a R62/A). The dispatcher dislikes when all these train operators go up there as many of them do not even know the yard (and wishes the one at the other end at least queries as to knowledge of CCY before sending their guys/gals up there to wash, purely on OT btw).

Edited by TwoTimer

As you may know, some of the track maps on nycsubway.org are somewhat inaccurate. Well, [fairly] recently, Robert Marrero created a diagrammatic track map of the entire system which is entirely up to date. It's available as a pdf file and a png image in the link below.

Oh god, it has 76 St on it......

i know this is late but you wanna know whats funny?

the fact the media meaning of the H train they say the train is named H because it travels over hammels wye

i know why its really H lol

Gotta love 'em.

I decided to take the liberty of timing every single step of my commute and here it is....

8:08 I leave my house

8:18 Arrive at Bartow/Edson Avenues bus stop

8:23 Board Bx12+SBS bus to Pelham Bay Park

8:29 Arrive at Pelham Bay Park (6) station

8:35 <6> train leaves Pelham Bay Park

9:01 I get off of <6> at 125 Street

9:02 Board Bowling Green bound (5) at 125 Street

9:19 I get off of said (5) at Grand Central

9:20 Board Brooklyn Bridge bound <6> at Grand Central

9:24 I get off at 23rd Street, commute over

I hate it when it's 10 minute or so before a schedule maintenance on a line and MTA decides to screw me over another 15 minutes by going ahead of schedule.

Finished my Accounting Finals Part 1, and my Q was at Prospect Park and went express to Sheepshead a few minutes earlier than the proposed 9:45AM-3PM scheduling. Blah.