SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other day I was running an errand near Penn Station (8 Ave Side) and needed the D. Instead of taking the A to the D, I went to the uptown local platform so I could catch either the C or the E, both of which connect to the D, and combined come more often than the A at that time. A C comes right away and I get on, and see an A arriving across from me. I COULD have easily ran across the platform and got on that A at 42 st (wooo express past 50 St!!!!), but instead I stayed where I was, and beat it into 59 St because that A was being held south of 59....because there was a D coming in right ahead of it. If I changed to that A, I would have had to wait another 10 minutes to catch the next D.

I never got a straight answer about Pelham Parkway but it supposedly has to do with not having proper signals to handle a station stop there.

Edited by Snowblock

How do you know that? They claimed that A3/A4 were gonna be out for 3 YEARS after the Chambers relay fire, and they were back in a month. I was also told that the Dyre branch would be down for WEEKS after the hurricane, and we were running shuttles 4 days after the hurricane.

But seeing how were a month and a half into the recovery process, I think they would have a pretty good idea of how long it's going to take. Remember, the MTA originally said December 2013 for the Rockaways, but they threw that out as time went on.

What you mean? Oh BTW, 4 track isn't a thru track, there's nothing on the roadbed on the uptown side express side.

I never got a straight answer about Pelham Parkway but it supposedly has to do with not having proper signals to handle a station stop there.

Ohh ok. Thanks. I haven't been in that station in years.

Edited by alejr88

My day today on the train...

As im walking over the bridge to get to Livonia Av, I see the (L) leaving and I thought nothing of it. Catch the next one and get off at the junction to catch the (A) or (C) into the city (didn't matter which one, I was only going to Chambers). The (C) comes first (R32 of course) and I get on in the front to look out the window.

I get past Utica and I see an (A) going the other way but there's no one in it (signed as one and all). I get right outside Nostrand and I see the R42 (C) going the other way. Then I get to Franklin and I see an (A) going the other way on the local track. Once I get to Clinton-Washington, the (A) finally catches up to us. We pretty much stayed behind it the whole time, the signals was just clearing by the time we get to them.

I pick up my girl from BMCC and once we get to Utica, I see the same R42 (C) going the opposite way.

R42s on the (C)?

To answer the question(s) about Pelham Parkway on the (5) line. As mentioned earlier the uptown express track, Y4, ends just south of the station. There is no trackage from that point to north of Baychester where it begins again and continues up to s/o of Dyre and switches into Y2 track and on to the station. Y4 is a layup track on the Dyre end and was a layup track between the Morris Park and Pelham Parkway stations. Before the test track was put in Y3 served the same purpose as Y4 did at the same locations. I have made sration stops on Y3 at Pelham Parkway when the normal track, Y2, was blocked but those times I did it were technically unauthorized. The Desk Superintendent was told, by me, after I did it. I used to have a good relationship with what was then Command Center.. My reasoning was that there were passengers waiting on the island platform and I saw no reason to bypass them in that situation. Their only recourse was to cross over to the Dyre-bound platform, travel n/b to Dyre and board a s/b train to bypass Pelham Parkway again. Waste of time, IMO. The reason the trains appear to bypass Pelham Parkway in this G.O. is simple. AFAIK there is no 10 car marker or conductor's board at Pelham Parkway on Y3 track so therefore no legal stop. As I've pointed out in the past, common sense is not so common down here in RTOland. Carry on.

I have to look again, but there is a C/R board there but no [10]. When they ran the GO where they had station stops at Pelham Pkwy, a TSS was on duty at the platform at all times. Rule says when there's no [10] stop at the end of the platform to ensure the entire train is berthed in the station. Right now they are having issues with Fordham Rd and 145 (both (D) ) with GO's that go down the middle. In both locations at the [10] car southbound stop, the c/r is off the board on the offside (northbound board is off in both locations) even though the train is fully berth properly in the station. Some supt's on the phone even wondered if there was a board there (SMH), and wanted a TSS to go down to verify there's a board, even though I told him yes.

Southbound at 145, the train stops right at the punch box. But when on the (B) and you come north into the station, the punch box is about 10 feet away from you. On a fun note, the next time any of you are at 145LL, take a look at where the northbound [10] is on 1 track (a move sometimes done when there's two (B) 's in a row). I wont say anything more, I'll wait for someone on here to go report it. You will lol and SMH.

Supossably they're going to send some 46's over to the Rockaways so that the (H) can run OPTO. They really need to either get those R42's off the (C) line, or make them 10 cars, since they have to stop at the 10 car marker in order to give the C/R a board to point to, which means that passengers at some stations need to dash 150 ft just to get into the rear car if they were waiting at the arriving end of the platform.

Supossably they're going to send some 46's over to the Rockaways so that the (H) can run OPTO. They really need to either get those R42's off the (C) line, or make them 10 cars, since they have to stop at the 10 car marker in order to give the C/R a board to point to, which means that passengers at some stations need to dash 150 ft just to get into the rear car if they were waiting at the arriving end of the platform.

Its funny watching them do it at Broadway Junction lol

Free transfers between Junius street or Pennsylvania Avenue (3)(4) and Livonia Avenue (L)?

It's been suggested, but it doesn't exist, and an infrastructure transfer would be difficult, due to the tracks that cross the (3) tracks pass Junius going to Linden yard, and I think Penn would be too far.