SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

gallery_5155_1_69021.jpg.b32e71607af72411997b73946a8d4249.jpg

Welcome to NYC Transit Forums Random Subway Thoughts Thread!

Post anything subway related that doesn't really need a seperate thread - Service alerts, Service delays, favorite and least favorite things, memories, thoughts about the New York City subway here. Also post any random SIR and AirTrain thoughts.

• Replies 30.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wonder what the following could be about.

Posted: 03/29/2011 11:33AM

MTA Service Notice

Due to signal problems at the Lafayette Avenue Station, uptown (A) trains are running on the local track between the Broadway Junction Station and the Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street Station.

Please expect delays in (A) and (C) train service at this time.

MTA Service Notice

Planned Work

Times Square-bound trains skip 69, 52, 46, 40 and 33 Sts

Days, 10:30 AM to 3 PM, Tue and Wed, Mar 29 - 30

For service to these stations, take the (7) to Woodside-61 St or Queensboro

Plaza and transfer to a Flushing-bound (7)

For service from these stations, take the (7) to Woodside-61 St or 74 St

and transfer to a Times Square-bound (7)

MTA Service Notice

Planned Work

(D) Coney Island-bound trains are rerouted via the (N) from 36 St to Stillwell Av

Days, 10 AM to 3 PM, Mon to Thu, Mar 28 - 31

Trains stop at New Utrecht Av-62 St.

For service to 9 Av, Fort Hamilton Pkwy, 50, and 55 Sts, take the (D) to

New Utrecht Av-62 St and transfer to a 205 St-bound (D)

For service to 71, 79 Sts, 18, 20 Avs, Bay Pkwy, 25 Av, and Bay 50 St,

take the (D) to Stillwell Av and transfer to a 205 St-bound (D)

For service from these stations, take the (D) to 62 St-New Utrecht Av or

36 St and transfer to a Coney Island-bound (D)

i hate it when the (MTA) does stuff like this why can they not do repairs and works on weekends or nights.

Guest lance25

[service alerts and advisories removed for space]

i hate it when the (MTA) does stuff like this why can they not do repairs and works on weekends or nights.

I feel like this question's been answered before. Anyhow, they have to do it during the midday hours because if they only did work on the weekends, those repairs would take longer, thus resulting in more service diversions. Also, they can't do some repairs during the overnight hours for safety reasons and because people who live the elevated lines would be livid if workers were shining large lights in their windows in the middle of the night.

I have 3:

-Chambers Street (J)(Z) is an ugly place

-QBL is getting (what I call) "countdown clocks"

-I hate the new renaming of Court Square-23 Street :tdown:.

Hey 70(EE) can we also post about Buses? if so then:

-I wonder if 3607 will get the new decal scheme since its a blackback...

Hi 4P3607! I considered a single Transit Thread, but figured it would have to be in Off Topic and might get really large, so I created one for subways and one for buses and placed them in the subway and bus forums. Please enjoy!

Hey 70(EE) can we also post about Buses? if so then:

-I wonder if 3607 will get the new decal scheme since its a blackback...

Random thought:

when the (Q) gets extended to 96 St,

(6) at 59 St:

"This is, 59th Street. Transfer is available to the (4),(5),(N),(R), and (W) trains. A free transfer is also available to the (F) and (Q) trains by walking to the Lexington Avenue - 63rd Street station and using your MetroCard."

(Q) at 63/Lex:

"This is, Lexington Avenue - 63 Street. Transfer is available to the (F) train. A free transfer is also available to the (4),(5),(6),(N),(Q), and (W) trains by walking to the Lexington Avenue - 59th Street station and using your MetroCard."

Sounds like an interesting announcement to hear.

*mentioned (W) b/c of popular thought that (W) will be revived when (Q) goes via 2nd Av

I saw a movie Stag Night which takes place in the subway. Sorry... "subway". This group of annoying thirty somethings decide to get off a train at an abandoned train stop and of all luck they get abandoned there. So they go look for help. But they find these creepy cannibalistic mofos (who strangely all look like Rob Zombie) roaming the tunnels with huge machetes and knifes. Their night of fun quickly descends into hell and fast.

Maybe I'm just a germophobe but during the obligatory sex scene I couldn't help but get freaked out when this couple started getting it on the abandoned platform. That was probably the grossest thing in the movie. The dust and other crap that's lingering down there rubbing around on your nekkid body? Bleh...

Anyway I can't recommend this movie on it's own merit because it was kinda bad, the characters were douchey and I was pretty much cheering for one guy to get hacked in the end. It more interesting to look at their depiction of the NYC subway so some of you guys might want to check it out for that. There was a sweet death scene with a track switch too.

Edited by GarbageTruckJuice

I agree.

Another places that perfect for Horror Movie/Story:

Abandoned platform at Hoyt-Schermerhorn (A)(C)(F)

At Grand Central, west end of Flushing Line platform and Grand Central Mezzaine, with gate that seem like scary.

The (F) doesn't stop at Hoyt-Schermerhorn, only the (A)(C)(G).

tho the (F) does stop there during G.O.'s...

I wonder when the next G.O. (F) to Euclid will be...

and oh yeah!, did anybody go to Transit Tech High school here?

Riding the (A) to school most days of the week.... the R46's are nice, but I wouldn't mind seeing something else, like R32s. That's why I'm anticipating the G.O. where the (C) runs express in one direction. But my schoolmates who take the (E) from Queens over to the (:) and (D) probably won't be happy, since both would run local.

Also, weekday mornings around 7:10-ish, I've seen a Brooklyn-bound (3) train coming from the (1) track and entering service at 96th St. They're layed up on the express track between 103rd St and 110th St. It's a nice idea. But I think the MTA might as well start those trains from 137th St to serve some (1) passengers. But like I said, it's a start :)

And it seems like different train operators gun at different speeds. For example, one T/O and (5) just likes to speed through Rogers Junction while most don't. Another one likes to swing thorugh the curve after Nevins St, and some just seem to lag.

But (2) service in the afternoon can be so erratic. Ugh.