BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Supposedly the Fare Free trial will continue for the routes that are free right now, with the article writer speculating that it might end in late September. This comes at a time where lawmakers are pushing to make more routes free (15 more in the proposal) because of congestion pricing.

https://www.silive.com/news/2024/03/mta-fare-free-bus-pilot-to-continue-on-5-select-nyc-routes-including-1-on-staten-island.html

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Old Generation buses are almost finished from passenger service. There's at least 8 units left and XD-40 units 9313, 9314 and 9315 are lined up in the back of the depot ready to enter service. With more XD-40s and Novas coming in to JFK, they could be done by the middle of spring break (next month in April) or at most the end of spring season. 

JFK also have 7 Hawker Next Gen units left at the depot (3808 and 3810 are used for parts). 

Edited by Calvin

On 3/15/2024 at 2:37 PM, NBTA said:

What are the next 10 routes to go fare free?

If you're referring to @Kingsbridgeviewer382's post at the top of the page, the proposal by state lawmakers being referenced is to throw $90 million towards the (bus) system... Half of which is to go towards increasing bus frequencies & the other half to go towards increasing the amt. of fare free routes to "up to" 3 routes per borough (which is where that 15 number comes from).... There were no specifics as to which routes would get service increases, nor which routes would be made fare free in said proposal.

10 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

If you're referring to @Kingsbridgeviewer382's post at the top of the page, the proposal by state lawmakers being referenced is to throw $90 million towards the (bus) system... Half of which is to go towards increasing bus frequencies & the other half to go towards increasing the amt. of fare free routes to "up to" 3 routes per borough (which is where that 15 number comes from).... There were no specifics as to which routes would get service increases, nor which routes would be made fare free in said proposal.

I'm not sure how throwing money at increasing bus frequencies can help at all since a few depots are short on buses.

Just now, Calvin said:

The SIM1C seems to carry a lot of riders today going Uptown early today. Not sure if it happens alot during the weekends or overnights but, seeing past Hylan Blvd and Fingerboard Road, most of the side seats were accompanied by riders. 

Parade goers.

11 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

I'm not sure how throwing money at increasing bus frequencies can help at all since a few depots are short on buses.

Legislators don't give two shits about those nuances.

42 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Today is the first day where all FR routes have at least one LFS in service. This includes:

Q11: 9037

Q21: 9022

Q22: 9028

Q35: 9029, 9068

Q41: 9052, 9063

Nice! Queens will be dominated by LFS coneheads by the end of the year. 

I’ve always been curious about the Q41, is it split between JFK and FR because I could have sworn some of its trips interlined with the Q6, Q8 and Q9?

15 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I’ve always been curious about the Q41, is it split between JFK and FR because I could have sworn some of its trips interlined with the Q6, Q8 and Q9?

IIRC, the 41 is a JFK route. Far Rock has the 11, 21, 22, and 35.

6 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

IIRC, the 41 is a JFK route. Far Rock has the 11, 21, 22, and 35.

22 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

From what I've hard, the past run sheets and current, Far Rockaway has the Q41 listed. After last week and before this past morning rush, the Q41 used hybrids as part of the Far Rockaway pool. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

in the past there were definitely terminal interlines with the 8 & 9 at Jamaica terminal when it ran out of JFK. the interlines that currently occur on the 41 are from the JFK Q6/7/8/9 school trippers iinm

13 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Today is the first day where all FR routes have at least one LFS in service. This includes:

Q11: 9037

Q21: 9022

Q22: 9028

Q35: 9029, 9068

Q41: 9052, 9063

That means its the start of the ogs and 2008 ngs retiring next few weeks and xd40 coming into service soon