BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/3/2024 at 10:16 AM, TyBusLover1 said:

How many Mta buses still use fabric/cloth seats?

3811 is one of the buses still running around with cloth seating. It’ll probably be gone by next week, but here is an actual number. I just caught it on the Q60. 

10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

3811 is one of the buses still running around with cloth seating. It’ll probably be gone by next week, but here is an actual number. I just caught it on the Q60. 

Good to know it still has cloth. Also other examples are 3807,4044 and 4247.

1 hour ago, danielhg121 said:

#3350 broke down at Whitestone Expwy. A lot of these MCI's look like they're on their last legs. Some are running around with huge dents and gashes on the side lol.

The Bronx units still look pretty good and run well. Sometimes the cosmetic shape doesn’t tell the whole story. I know a lot of buses that looked bad were ones than ran better.

13 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The Bronx units still look pretty good and run well. Sometimes the cosmetic shape doesn’t tell the whole story. I know a lot of buses that looked bad were ones than ran better.

They have no choice but to keep them up and running, the rest of the MCI’s won’t be replaced till 2025/2026. Of course MTA Bus would be stuck with all the old buses. 
I have heard that a lot of drivers prefer the MCI’s over Prevost. One driver I spoke to told me that MCI’s feel like transit buses whereas the Prevost feel like regular coach buses. 

I was bus fanning along the B6/B82/82SBS earlier and not a single person in the span of 15 minutes paid the machine for the SBS82.

I seriously think the TA needs to temporarily discontinue the B82SBS, convert to front door boarding, or have the eagle team at high usage stops to fine anyone who doesn’t pay. This is crazy.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I was bus fanning along the B6/B82/82SBS earlier and not a single person in the span of 15 minutes paid the machine for the SBS82.

I seriously think the TA needs to temporarily discontinue the B82SBS, convert to front door boarding, or have the eagle team at high usage stops to fine anyone who doesn’t pay. This is crazy.

This is something that happens often on almost all routes. That and more people are using OMNY, so I would not make a judgment call just for looking at a stop for the amount of time it takes to finish lunch.

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

At this point, I wouldn't, either.

The only reason I still have a MetroCard is because the OMNY rollout is painfully slow.

4 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

This is something that happens often on almost all routes. That and more people are using OMNY, so I would not make a judgment call just for looking at a stop for the amount of time it takes to finish lunch.

Literally 80% of riders went through the back on both the local and the 82SBS, and not a single person tapped from the back door on that 82SBS.

I was riding the B3 earlier today (which was crush loaded, only half of the bus actually paid) and those who did pay were either left standing or got left in the bus stop because the bus was full. Am I the only one who finds that completely unfair?

13 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Literally 80% of riders went through the back on both the local and the 82SBS, and not a single person tapped from the back door on that 82SBS.

I was riding the B3 earlier today (which was crush loaded, only half of the bus actually paid) and those who did pay were either left standing or got left in the bus stop because the bus was full. Am I the only one who finds that completely unfair?

I agree it definitely is unfair, but it seems that no one cares about real solutions anymore. The city’s solution to farebeating is congestive pricing. 
They will make the entire bus system free and put the burden on the tax payers to pay up. The money has to come from somewhere which is what a lot of people don’t realize when they advocate for free stuff in society. 
All the people who are farebeating must realize that while they may be getting over today they will have to pay up one day in the form of increased taxes. 

The solution to farebeating is increase police presence and giving fines to people who don’t follow the rules. However since 2020 no one takes the police seriously and that’s why we are also seeing all this crime in the subways. 

9 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I agree it definitely is unfair, but it seems that no one cares about real solutions anymore. The city’s solution to farebeating is congestive pricing. 
They will make the entire bus system free and put the burden on the tax payers to pay up. The money has to come from somewhere which is what a lot of people don’t realize when they advocate for free stuff in society. 
All the people who are farebeating must realize that while they may be getting over today they will have to pay up one day in the form of increased taxes. 

The solution to farebeating is increase police presence and giving fines to people who don’t follow the rules. However since 2020 no one takes the police seriously and that’s why we are also seeing all this crime in the subways. 

I would argue to making the bus system free, but it's pretty f'n obvious not a single person would want to have that conversation without screaming entitlement or not wanting to pay the taxes necessary to fund it. And I recognize that this is a complicated subject topic altogether that can't be solved easily (as much as people like to think it would be by just throwing more police onto buses).

2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Because the entitlement is off the charts. Not to mention those that don't pay, and then openly smoke or vape weed or god knows what else in the back of that bus, and then still have the sense that they are in the right!

But i do agree that making the bus system free is not the solution. The same way congestion pricing also isn't the solution, the "congestion" from before the pandemic just isn't there to justify it.

On 3/26/2024 at 5:00 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I would argue to making the bus system free, but it's pretty f'n obvious not a single person would want to have that conversation without screaming entitlement or not wanting to pay the taxes necessary to fund it. And I recognize that this is a complicated subject topic altogether that can't be solved easily (as much as people like to think it would be by just throwing more police onto buses).

The bus system being free wouldn't make much of a difference. Most bus customers transfer to and from the subway and theoretically pay the subway fare anyway. Those who take unlimited rides would likely ride subways enough times that you could get them all there. My plan would be make the entire local bus network free, but have the subway fare be $3 with no unlimited rides.