Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I start training on 4/25, I'm looking forward to driving the bus but would like to know how tough is it for a person who just got their CDL permit and haven't drove anything bigger than a mid-sized U-Haul truck. What should I expect before I advance to Line Training?

Well you just got your permit they like people like you that don't have bad driving habits with a big vehicle. also you will learn fast on how MTA wants you to drive that bus. just remember get alot of rest and take your time with turns and look in your mirrors all 3 of them. also when you pull away watch your rear and left side. And when you close the front door make sure it's close before you pull away. watch your trainer he might stick his hand out when you close the door and you might be looking in your left mirror then pull away with his hand in the door. so watch the door. also keep your hands on the wheel don't drive the bus like a car 2 hands one on the left side one on the right side. also when you go under a overpass make sure you call out 10.6 14ft or better. this means your bus is 10.6 and the over pass is 14ft or better. GOOD LUCK

little secret when pulling into a curb( Bus Stop). The drivers front window is divided in half, if you put the right angle that is made by the Middle window break and the bottom of the front glass on the curble in you would be inches from the curb and make be a perfect distance from the curb 3-5 inches. I pointed out the Corner im talking about, also thanks to whoever photo that was Green bus was my favorite back in the daytobad they never looked like that when i rode them.

http://flic.kr/ps/WFxQz

Noflexdont,

Good stuff. it's good to see people helping the new classes out. I just want to point out a few more things cover your break and always slow down when making a turn. when turning hold both hands on the wheel and push and pull.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE NEW CLASSES

little secret when pulling into a curb( Bus Stop). The drivers front window is divided in half, if you put the right angle that is made by the Middle window break and the bottom of the front glass on the curble in you would be inches from the curb and make be a perfect distance from the curb 3-5 inches. I pointed out the Corner im talking about, also thanks to whoever photo that was Green bus was my favorite back in the daytobad they never looked like that when i rode them.

http://flic.kr/ps/WFxQz

You lost me there bro, I see the photo of the bus with the arrow pointing

at the windshield. How that relates to the curb beats me. :confused:

sorry it was late at night LOL. From the picture you can see that the front glass is 2 pieces of glass. All RTS are like similar. When your driving the bus that right angle that i pointed out(red arrow) is your guide.remeber you will be in the drivers seat looking from the inside out, i could not find a picture from the drivers seat. now if you put that right angle on the curb line you will never hit the curb. you will be 3-5 inches away.this trick also works with the Orions and Newflyers (artics) is drove since the front glass is divide into 2 pieces. hopefully i made this clearer. sometime things are better show them said. I will take a picture today and post later tonight.

Now I get it, thanks. How far can you be from the curb when pulling in at

a bus stop? up to 1 1/2ft? Worse case scenario would be to hit or jump the

curb while pulling into a bus stop. I can see hitting a curb while making a tight turn during training but not pulling into a stop the way you explained it.

Whenever possible stop the bus 3 feet before the bus stop sign.parallel to the curb, 6 inches to 1 foot from the curb. When pulling into a stop to fast you might hit the curb or you might not line up the bus right and rub the curb which is the same thing when turning. try not to hit the curb on Day 7.

I start on Monday at Zerega, just wanted to know what to expect the first couple of days. I also wanted to know when would I receive my uniform? The appointment sheet says to wear dark blue pants, light blue long sleeve shirt and blue or black tie. Do I need to wear this the first day of training?

I start on Monday at Zerega, just wanted to know what to expect the first couple of days. I also wanted to know when would I receive my uniform? The appointment sheet says to wear dark blue pants, light blue long sleeve shirt and blue or black tie. Do I need to wear this the first day of training?

Yes you need to wear that the first day and everyday until you receive your uniform. I just started 4/11/11 and I havent received mine yet but it will be sometime after you qualify. The first day you will be in a classroom where you will be spoken too about what to expect, and fill out paperwork. You will also be assigned an instructor and Depot to report to for training. This is pretty much random selection and you may have to travel to a borough you dont live in. It might be hard for u but its only for the 1st 7 days which starts Tuesday. You will have 2-3 other students training with you on 1 bus.

On Tuesday you report to the depot they assigned u at the time your instructor tells u. Make sure u are on time. Try to get there at least 15min early rather than barely making it. The instructor will give u the basics about the bus and show u how to operate it. You will learn how to set up the mirrors and the instructor will probably drive first and show you how to make turns and handle the bus. Then you will take turns driving and doing basic turns. Each day you will be introduced to different things and expected to get better.

The key is to pay attention to the instructor and do exactly what he tells you. They will criticize your bad driving habits and tell you what u are doing wrong but dont take it personal. They are trying to help you. Also watch your classmates and learn from their mistakes. I never drove a bus before last Tuesday and I qualified on day 7, the earliest possible day. Its not easy but its not difficult. Just do what your instructor tells you and you'll be ok.

id like to thank you noflexdont for that tip.I must say ive been on this forum for a while waiting for my chance to become a bo.The info ive recieved from guys like you rts,jmazz,even locomotion (because he always has some great questions or good feed back) has given me such a great outlook on what to expect.Id like to say to all the newguys or anyone waiting to be called just be patient stick it out and absorb from this forum.Your time will come!When it does you"ll be ready,and to all the guys who contribute to this forum keep up the good work!I START MY TRAINING MAY 9TH!!!YOU GUYS HELPED ME SO MUCH!!!THANK YOU

The air brakes are very sensitive. I think that was the hardest part of learning how to drive the bus was how much pressure to apply for a smooth stop. I know when i was in training with in the first 5 mins of training ,the instructor show us how strong the brakes were by rolling at 5 mph and jamming on the brake. i felt like my arms were pulled out of the socket.