Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another heads up: for the 2 times they put you in "the simulator"- You will be warned by your instructor that the simulator can make you nauseous or bring on an episode of "Vertigo". A very important lesson I learned from a mistake I made the first time: If you start feeling like the room is spinning or you're off balance STOP THE SIMULATOR and TELL YOUR INSTRUCTOR. They cannot penalize you for this as they know this is a common occurrence with students

What's up @ mabstoarts I reported to grand ave depot & my instructor is supt. sharrocks! Day 1 went well found my pivot points real quick & I am training on the hybrids which I like. @ locomotion the simulators are 15 mins each which I'll think we'll do those on day 3 I'm on day 2 now which is going great!

I was told by my classmates who had him that Supt Sharrocks is a fair man, I only knew him from the Admin day prior to training. Grand Av Depot? Hey, it's better than where I was in Queens Village. You will probably be taken to Spring Creek Depot on Flatlands Av in Brooklyn for the Simulator training.. But, Just wait til Day 4 where you have to work that RTS (which in my book stands for Rolling Ton of S**t) into really tight spaces and maneuver around the Subway Pillars (possibly on Westchester Av in the Bronx). Day 4 scared the ever-living s**t out of me. Days 5 & 6 are in Manhattan: heads up, just in case you have to make that turn from E 106 St and the FDR Drive Service Rd, Swing out early otherwise you'll have to back-up and if that happens, mounting the curb is inevitable. and the left turn from E 14 St to 4 Av in Union Sq is another pain in the A$$ WATCH OUT FOR DUMB SCHMUCKS ON BIKES and when you turn from Park Av South to E 26 st, swing out to right a bit so you dont mount curb (just a heads up from my mistakes)

What's up @ mabstoarts I reported to grand ave depot & my instructor is supt. sharrocks! Day 1 went well found my pivot points real quick & I am training on the hybrids which I like. @ locomotion the simulators are 15 mins each which I'll think we'll do those on day 3 I'm on day 2 now which is going great!

Lucky you I had to deal with 9304 and 9325 out of LGA...I also noticed a few guys taking their NYS CDL road test on Hybrid's as well.

Yeah youngblaze we would be doin our road test in these hybrids. I'm in the 3rd class to train in the hybrids @ first I was really skeptical bout it cuz I like the rts but now I enjoy whipping dem. I'm takin it day by day as we speak I'm in day 3 doing bus stops!

Justice09, You're doing the 7 day training with the Hybrids? I thought Hybrid training was on day 7 (if you get cursed with being thrown into 9 and 10) after you qualified on a rickety old RTS? Anyway, How do you like it so far? Do you feel like it's the "Parris Island" of the MTA like everyone else?

Also, where is Supt Sharrocks taking you guy to drive around and service your bus stops?

Edited by MaBSTOARTS

Yes Iam doing the 7day training with the hybrids. The Mta are supposedly trying to phase out the rts. I'm into this training, I like it I'm picking up a lot things quick the way TA wants us to drive. I'm jus taking it day by day hoping I pass on 7. Yesterday we were driving in maspeth area/bayside & today we're doing bus stops in flushing & Whitestone area. I'm just being a sponge & soaking shit up!

Sharrocks is cool I'm comfortable with him by the side I haven't gotten nervous yet

sharrocks is cool. i remember him.. is mr. vazquez still there?

the supt. with the red hair n glasses (cant remember his name) is cool too. he does the artic training.

Whats funny is MR. Vazquez was my instructor when i did my 7 day training out of ENY depot.

I qualified on day 7 I want to really thank this forums it was VERY useful. It gave me a heads up for everything especially the test courses in the city like 14 st & many other streets! Once again thanks to all! One down two more to go!!!! Road test & probation!

Justice09, the best advice I can give you for the DMV Road test: Do a complete PRE-TRIP on your bus, but most of all concentrate on your Airbrake "ALSAPS" (Air Leakage, Low Air Warning, Spring Brake, Air Compressor Cutoff, Parking Brake Test, Service Brake)

Remember, you have to explain EVERYTHING you do to the examiner... DON'T assume they know what you are doing and yes they take points off for not sounding off.

ie: "I am conducting my airbrake air leakage rate, the current pressure reading is (what ever the gauge reads) psi." "I am now going to depress my service brake pedal. I see an initial loss of (whatever the difference from the initial psi reading) psi." "I am going to hold the pedal down for an additional 1 minute to make sure I don't experience a loss greater than 2psi per 1 minute."

"I am conducting my low air warning system check." (Put the Master Switch to **RUN* but DON'T start the bus). "I am going to depress the service brake til the low air warning buzzer or beep sounds." (fan the brakes). "The low air warning signal activated at (60-70) PSI."

"I am now going to conduct my Spring Brake Check" (continue to fan the brakes) "The spring brake popped at (30-40) PSI."

(Start the bus and turn the high idle switch **ON*) "I am conducting my Air Compressor Cutoff Test" (While the compressor is building the pressure you do your wrap-around inspection) "While the compressor is building pressure I am going to do my wrap-around inspection and test all switches and devices" (air compressor cuts off) "The air compressor cut off at (120-130) PSI".

"I will now conduct my Parking Brake test" (put the bud in drive but DO NOT release the parking brake. Press the accelerator treddle down fr 3 to 5 seconds, the bus SHOULD NOT move) "Parking Brake is holding, bus did not move."

"I am now going to conduct my Service Brake Check" (release the parking brake and let the bus roll 10 - 50 Feet and depress the pedal) "Service brakes are functioning properly, bus is stopping straight; no pulling to the left or right; long or short brakes"

Edited by MaBSTOARTS

Thanks Mabstoarts I was just goin to ask for some pointers on my road test which I think is in 2 weeks. As for the alsaps & pre trip I pretty much got that stuck in my head but will still study until its showtime. Besides that is there any other pointers I should know about???

• 3 months later...