•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    * * * * * 1 votes

Traffic Checker (MaBSTOA)

• Please log in to reply
    141 replies to this topic

#1 Markwin25

Markwin25
    • Veteran Member
    • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

I was looking at upcoming exams and wondered what a traffic checker does.
    The exam is listed as Traffic Checker (MaBSTOA). Thanks for any help you can provide.

#2 mark1447

mark1447
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 12,011 posts
    • LocationDriving on NJ/NY Route 17

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

From what I heard, they ride a bus and check ridership by counting passenger (traffic) that enters the bus.

Note that MaBSTOA (Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority) applies to the those two boroughs. Which is where you the traffic checker will occur.
    -Mark1447
    Like Transit? Click me to check this Youtube Channel! [IRT (2)&<5> Line Productions]

#3 Markwin25

Markwin25
    • Veteran Member
    • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

From what I heard, they ride a bus and check ridership by counting passenger (traffic) that enters the bus.

Note that MaBSTOA (Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority) applies to the those two boroughs. Which is where you the traffic checker will occur.

Thanks for the information.

#4 +Young+

+Young+
    • 1,914 posts
    • LocationQueens, New York

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thanks too! I plan on filing for the exam and I'll keep that information in the back of my mind.

R.I.P. Jacqueline Dicks, 41, NYC Transit C/R...

#5 Amtrak7

Amtrak7
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,126 posts
    • LocationLong Island / Pittsburgh

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

Traffic Checker has the lowest salary in the TWU:

http://www.twulocal1...ntract_2011.pdf

$16.075/hour.

Do you have a link to the NOE?

R.I.P. Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority January 15, 1973 – December 31, 2011

#6 BusOperator3319

BusOperator3319
    • Transit Worker
    • PipPip
    • 612 posts
    • LocationNew York

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Mark Traffic Checking is a Citywide operation and they are located off of Flatbush Avenue Extension in Brooklyn I use to hold that position it's alright for someone right out of High School going into College as it is a Part-Time position they are all over the place doing surveys in all five Boroughs including the Subways & SIRTOA

They are apart of Operations Planning and thus their surveys determine which lines get additional service or a decrease in service based on ridership

#7 mark1447

mark1447
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 12,011 posts
    • LocationDriving on NJ/NY Route 17

Posted 23 July 2011 - 12:03 AM

Mark Traffic Checking is a Citywide operation and they are located off of Flatbush Avenue Extension in Brooklyn I use to hold that position it's alright for someone right out of High School going into College as it is a Part-Time position they are all over the place doing surveys in all five Boroughs including the Subways & SIRTOA

They are apart of Operations Planning and thus their surveys determine which lines get additional service or a decrease in service based on ridership

Thanks man! I'm actually thinking about applying for this since I did not get called for C/R (2008 exam).

Although it maybe citywide, why is it indicated under MaBSTOA?

Second, if I apply to this would it be possible to still be eligible to take a promotion to C/R or anything non-bus related? Especially since I heard you can't do that thru MaBSTOA.. While others says you can since its now under RBO.
    -Mark1447
    Like Transit? Click me to check this Youtube Channel! [IRT (2)&<5> Line Productions]

#8 Amtrak7

Amtrak7
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 5,126 posts
    • LocationLong Island / Pittsburgh

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:47 AM

Thanks man! I'm actually thinking about applying for this since I did not get called for C/R (2008 exam).

Second, if I apply to this would it be possible to still be eligible to take a promotion to C/R or anything non-bus related? Especially since I heard you can't do that thru MaBSTOA.. While others says you can since its now under RBO.

Where does it say they are hiring traffic checkers???

R.I.P. Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority January 15, 1973 – December 31, 2011

#9 Acela Express

Acela Express
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,608 posts
    • LocationNorth Baldwin, NY

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Where does it say they are hiring traffic checkers???

Upcoming active filing dates -
    http://mta.info/nyct/hr/appexam.htm

Traffic Checker (MaBSTOA); 2101; August 3 - 17, 2011

#DreamsAndNightmares
    So I'mma let this flame hit you just so this pain hits you. #Traumatized #MeekMill

#10 BusOperator3319

BusOperator3319
    • Transit Worker
    • PipPip
    • 612 posts
    • LocationNew York

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:27 PM

Your welcome Mark that's a good ? that unfortunately I don't have the answer to but I'm guessing because MaBSTOA is a subsidiary of New York City Transit they have jurisdiction and TA doesn't have a Traffic Checker title they also do Surveys over at (MTA) Bus Company as well

To answer your second ? I don't want to tell you yes and the answer turns out to be wrong the only good answer I can give you is to call down to livingston street and talk to someone in Human Resources or Call the Business Service Center