Signal Maintainer Exam 2600 - How to Prepare?

octobermagic

I am interested in taking the upcoming Signal Maintainer exam #2600. Filing is September 7-27. I wanted to prepare myself for the exam ahead of time in the event that I do get called to take the test. Does anyone how to prepare for this exam? Is there a study guide or book that you could prepare from?

A couple of years ago I took a test for a electrical helper position. While waiting on line on the test day, I saw a lot of people reading a book that was preparing them for the exact same test we were about to take.

If anyone knows where I can get something like this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks from before.

I hope your aware that the exam is a paractical. No multiple choice. You could buy a book, but I don't see how it could help with a practical exam. That's just my opinion.

ITS BOTH WRITTEN AND PRACTICAL..... you have to pass the written to take the practical.

the written is basic electrical/electronic knowledge and using the proper tools for the job.

the practical is you are given a specific circuit to put together then given a meter and have to take readings

• 1 month later...
Hi,

could anyone describe the works as a signal maintainer a little bit?

I am an electronic technician not an electrician, so I wonder if the signal maintainer's works tend to be electronics or electrical?

I am not in signals, but I have a very passing knowledge of the signal system. I can tell you that the vast majority of the system is electrical. I don't know if maintainers need a special qualification on CBTC signaling (which is electronic...and currently only on the L line) or if that's considered something they learn later.

Electrical relays will be your bread and butter.

I think you are right about the relays, I heard that there are many relay rooms in the system, there must be a lot of relays. Also I heard about the CBCT, wish I will have the opportunity to working on that system.

Even the electronics and electrical are under the same theories but in practice they involved different components. I guess in this case, the test will be heavier in electrical end. Since the system uses a lot of relays, I think I better get familiar with the ladder diagrams, it can be tricky for me sometimes.

I wonder if I should spend some time to review the PLC too.

• 3 months later...

Happy New Year!

I have received the letter for the exam location, date and time.

After I looked in the Passbook from NLC I realized that most of the questions in the book are subway signal related questions. So I wonder if anyone, who actually took the test before, could tell me if that is what I should expect in the test?

Happy New Year!

I have received the letter for the exam location, date and time.

After I looked in the Passbook from NLC I realized that most of the questions in the book are subway signal related questions. So I wonder if anyone, who actually took the test before, could tell me if that is what I should expect in the test?

From what I understand, the test will be electrical knowledge, proper use of tools, related math, safety, etc. Nothing related to the actual specifics of the signaling system. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I too will be taking the test January 21st. Good luck.

From what I understand, the test will be electrical knowledge, proper use of tools, related math, safety, etc. Nothing related to the actual specifics of the signaling system. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I too will be taking the test January 21st. Good luck.

I think you're right. NYCTSignals also said that in the earlier post. Seems the Passbook won't help much.

dont quote me on this but when i was in signal school we gotta chance to see new people come in and take the test. it was a simple series circuit that had a trouble and you would have to locate it (blown fuse, short etc...) and use the correct methods to fixing the problem but that was 2 years ago they could have changed it. but if you know how to trouble shoot which is the most important job of a signal maintainer then your gonna do great its a really simple test honestly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The answer key is now up on the MTA website. Based on their answer key and my record of answers, I only got 2 questions wrong. That should put me at 96.666. How did everybody else do?

Wow congrats man that's awesome. Unfortunately for me according to my record sheet and their proposed answer key I got 38 out of 60 right. Something like 63%. A little short of the required 70%. Oh well guess it wasn't in the cards ;)

So is there anybody that can take us through a timeline for this position? How long after the test do we receive a letter giving us our official grades? How long until we are asked back for the practical exam? How long until they generally start hiring from the list? Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Being that you scored so high on the test...i think your gonna be @ the top of the list. So you might find out before any of us what next on the list after passing the written. funny tho that there's not a lot of feedback about this test.

very true....u took yours downtown brooklyn right?

Yeah, on the 21st of last month. They only had three testing days. The 21st was for our test as well as a promotion to signal maintainer test. Than according to the answer keys they had the Sabbath testing date of the 23rd of last month and a make up date of the 23rd of this month.

If you remember the test, you will recall that there were three tables to return your test too. Numbers 1-100 for table one, 101-200 for table two, than 201-300 for table three. And I can't imagine that there were more than that for the Sabbath or Make up day tests. Hopefully it will be a short list.

Archived