MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

• 1 year later...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back off an extended vacation......... Give me a few days to get the updates together and compiled...... My apologies, but I have been very busy in my career..... Some bus related and we will get to that as well. .

See you soon guys!

Edited by East New York

• 1 year later...

Major Updates for bus orders.

• The Prevost express procurement is reported to be running smoothly, with all buses expected to be delivered on scheduled by June 2016 

• The pilot bus for the New Flyer Xcelsior order has reportedly failed its initial audit inspection. This is not uncommon, and should not have any impact of an on-time delivery for the order, which will run through 2016. The first pilot is still expected on MTA property in the coming days.

• The scheduling for award has changed once again for the next bus orders as well. Effective immediately, MTA expects to award all 331 articulated buses at the same time. Originally planed to be split into 2 separate projects, the award is now projected for December at the latest, with the entire MTA Bus fleet to be delivered by March of 2016. This will also include the 45 standard 40 foot buses that will be awarded at the same time as well. Delivery of the first pilots are expected in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2015.
Edited by East New York

Smh, how does New Flyer fail? I give up with that company. I wish Nova made the Xcelsior.

Actually, Nova NEVER passed an initial audit inspection with the RTS, LFSA or Prevost. Orion didn't pass with any model prior to the EPA 10's either. MTA is the toughest agency in the country to get pass initial audit inspection. The first part of the 2200 series MCI buses failed audit inspection more times than any other bus. To date the smoothest testing for all MTA new bus acceptance programs were the 8600 series RTS, Orion VII E10, and the Prevost test batch. (Note: None of those orders were for more than 104 buses)

Actually, Nova NEVER passed an initial audit inspection with the RTS, LFSA or Prevost. Orion didn't pass with any model prior to the EPA 10's either. MTA is the toughest agency in the country to get pass initial audit inspection. The first part of the 2200 series MCI buses failed audit inspection more times than any other bus. To date the smoothest testing for all MTA new bus acceptance programs were the 8600 series RTS, Orion VII E10, and the Prevost test batch. (Note: None of those orders were for more than 104 buses)

Well then, I'm sorry New Flyer. The way you said it made it seem as if they failed something so simple. Do you know exactly what they get tested on, for the MTA to be so strict?

Well then, I'm sorry New Flyer. The way you said it made it seem as if they failed something so simple. Do you know exactly what they get tested on, for the MTA to be so strict?

Everything that is specified in the RFP specifications, so to put things in context a bus could be failed for something as simple as a sticker missing or in the wrong place.

New Fleet Numbes:

Prevost 2490-2789

New Flyer XD40 7090-7365

Nova LFS 8090-8503

New Flyer Spec change from the previous order include Luminaor Titan destination signs

Everything that is specified in the RFP specifications, so to put things in context a bus could be failed for something as simple as a sticker missing or in the wrong place.

That is 100% correct bro. MTA is that definitely the agency that will fail you for a sticker.

Edited by East New York

New Fleet Numbes:

Prevost 2490-2789

New Flyer XD40 7090-7365

Nova LFS 8090-8403

New Flyer Spec change from the previous order include Luminaor Titan destination signs

So no more 2300s for the Prevost? That's better. Also, assuming the option order kicks in, the NEW numbers will follow (Ex. #7366-up, #8404-up)

Edited by The TransitMan

I can guess that how many New Flyer XD40 will go to Gun Hill Depot & make up the bus set they lost that Orion7NG to Staten Island to replace 1999 Orion5 ... I hope Gun Hill Depot get #7090 - #714252 New Flyer XD40) Gun Hill Depot got 40 1999 Orion5 set to be retired & Gun Hill Depot lost 10 set of Orion7NG went to Staten Island... they lost 2012 10 Orion7NG #4040 - #4059

So I can guess :

for OA/ division for Bronx Division set to get New Flyer XD40 ) is: to replace 1999 Orion5

#7090 - #7142 ( 52 buses ). to Gun Hill Depot

#7143 - #7197 ( 54 bus ) to Kingsbridge Depot

#7198 -  #7223 ( 25 buses ) to Eastchester Depot

that for O/A division in Bronx I am interested .. That have 1999 Orion5 set to be replaced.... I am guessing

So I can guess :

for OA/ division for Bronx Division set to get New Flyer XD40 ) is: to replace 1999 Orion5

#7090 - #7142 ( 52 buses ). to Gun Hill Depot

#7143 - #7197 ( 54 bus ) to Kingsbridge Depot

#7198 - #7223 ( 25 buses ) to Eastchester Depot

that for O/A division in Bronx I am interested .. That have 1999 Orion5 set to be replaced.... I am guessing

I don't think the Bronx will get XD40s, I think Queens, the Bronx, and Manhattan will get LFS (since they have the LFSAs), while Brooklyn and S.I get Xcelsiors. There will be a lot if shifting, just because these buses will replace the Orion Vs/RTS doesn't mean those depots will get the exact new buses in return.

is there a mta bus express bus oeder due to be awarded i the near futere/

It was canceled. See the first post in this thread. TA ordered enough Prevost buses to bump a few MCI's over to Bus Co.

I can guess that how many New Flyer XD40 will go to Gun Hill Depot & make up the bus set they lost that Orion7NG to Staten Island to replace 1999 Orion5 ... I hope Gun Hill Depot get #7090 - #714252 New Flyer XD40) Gun Hill Depot got 40 1999 Orion5 set to be retired & Gun Hill Depot lost 10 set of Orion7NG went to Staten Island... they lost 2012 10 Orion7NG #4040 - #4059

Not at all. Word is East New York is confirmed, as well as a few others. I will get into fleet replacement later on this weekend, and which depots are expecting new buses.

I bet Queens is getting them LFS's. So ENY you said now that all the buses before 2000 are leaving with this order right? So let me get this straight so all the upcoming include

1. Novabus LFS

2. New Flyer XD40's

3. Prevost express buses

4. New Flyer XD60's

5. MTA bus 45 standard buses company unknown right now and 75 Articulated bus which we don't know what company is making them. These buses are suppose to come in 2016 as well as the MTA bus orders, correct?

I got one for the order for Jamaica Depot order for 2014 Nova Bus LFS in Queens for replacing 1996 RTS Nova Bus first I can say ..

Jamaica Depot got 2011 Nova Bus LFS #8045 - #8089 (45 buses ) ... For the order replacing Jamaica Depot 1996 RTS Nova Bus ( 44 buses) the should continue to get #8090 - #8135 ( 45 buses )

So altogether Jamaica Depot got #8045 - #8135 ( 90 buses ) to replacing 1996 RTS Nova Bus order first I would say..  Guess can come reality.

I got one for the order for Jamaica Depot order for 2014 Nova Bus LFS in Queens for replacing 1996 RTS Nova Bus first I can say ..

Jamaica Depot got 2011 Nova Bus LFS #8045 - #8089 (45 buses ) ... For the order replacing Jamaica Depot 1996 RTS Nova Bus ( 44 buses) the should continue to get #8090 - #8135 ( 45 buses )

So altogether Jamaica Depot got #8045 - #8135 ( 90 buses ) to replacing 1996 RTS Nova Bus order first I would say..  Guess can come reality.

ENY's guess is much more likely to become reality,

Effective immediately, posts in this thread will no longer be deleted. They will however continue to be removed from this thread and archived in a new section for future reference. This is the only thread where posts had been deleted in order to keep focus on the opening post, which is updated regularly. 

I bet Queens is getting them LFS's. So ENY you said now that all the buses before 2000 are leaving with this order right? So let me get this straight so all the upcoming include
1. Novabus LFS
2. New Flyer XD40's
3. Prevost express buses
4. New Flyer XD60's
5. MTA bus 45 standard buses company unknown right now and 75 Articulated bus which we don't know what company is making them. These buses are suppose to come in 2016 as well as the MTA bus orders, correct?

Most all pre-1999 buses will be retired with the exception of a few Orion and RTS buses that will either be added to the System Storage Reserve Fleet, museum fleet *cough*  ;) , or shipped over to LaGuardia Depot.

You have the upcoming orders correct with the exception of #4. As Fresh Pond said, the artic order has not yet been announced. However, MTA has decided to re-evaluate the order process for the next buses and award them all at the same time now. This means MTA knows exactly who the orders are going to at this time. However, I am not able to speak on all of that, and MTA will not make a final decision until the final selection process.

The reason being, it is just about time for Best and Final offers from New Flyer and Nova. The TA has been in discussions with the manufactures about the new buses for a while now. MTA decided to review the new orders and change the process for procurement. Originally, there were 3 RFP's issued. 256 artics for NYCTA, 75 artics for MTABC, and 45 standard buses for MTABC. The first for the 256 artics was issued alone, then the one for MTABC buses was issued later.

MTA has now decided that it is in their best interest to award all 331 artics and 45 standard buses at the same time, as they will likely get a better contract (for the artics). The more buses you order at once, the lower the costs associated. One of the only exceptions to this rule is the introduction of a new bus platform, which requires new parts, new logistics, and new maintenance and driver training. 

It is also being said that MTA is open to the option of splitting the artic order, but is is almost certain that the standard bus order will be sole-sourced.

The contract will call for MTABC to take delivery of their buses first, with all 75 artics and 45 standards to be delivered by March of 2016. Delivery of Prevost express buses will conclude by June 2016. The remaining 256 artics for NYCT will see a delivery schedule that will stretch into 2017.

No one knows who got the artic order yet

ENY's guess is much more likely to become reality,

That's arguable actually.... However, lots of backlash and uproar was caused a few years ago when I posted a sting of back-to-back exclusives. For the following reasons, I have been asked not to post certain details until they are confirmed "for the general public," or about to be confirmed. Here's what many may not have known...

*** I broke news that MTA was getting ready to embark on a new testing program that was something we had never seen before. They would order 90 buses each, from select qualified manufactures, and put them through a rigorous head-to-head test program. Backlash: Not one single person on any transit forum from here to SubChat believed me...... Then MTA announced the details to the public 8 months later.

*** Following the 90 test fleet post, less than a month later, I announced that New Flyer would be awarded a contract for C40LF buses. A bus model that at the time had already been discontinued. The backlash for this one was the most I had ever got because it ended up affecting multiple companies. Because I had gotten the information right as the ink was drying on the contract, I had no clue when I announced the order right here on NYCTF, that MTA had not yet informed New Flyer that they had won! This started a domino effect. I was directly contacted by New Flyer almost immediately as they had not been informed of such news. I laughed, told them to wait till Monday, Congratulations, and welcome back to NYC. That's one of the most infamous phone calls of my entire transit industry career.

This is when the crap hit the fan. What happened next was SEPTA got word of my post and started to investigate. They originally wanted more LFR buses, yet were informed by New Flyer that the model was discontinued. When I mentioned that the only way MTA would award the contract was if they were LF models and not the redesigned LFR as they would not qualify the bus unless it went through the brand new test program that no one believed even existed. So things started to pile up and it got more crazy. Even SEPTA thought I was making some grand claim just to draw members to NYCTF, and initially dismissed it themselves. Once they confirmed it was true, their relationship with New Flyer has never been the same. Once an all next gen New Flyer operation, SEPTA is now ordering buses from Nova.

At that time, I had confirmed New Flyer would resurrect the LF for MTA nearly 6 months before the first bus rolled off the line. Still, not one person believed me. Then 230 was delivered. 

For those reasons as well as quite a few others, I took a leave of absence from the forums. Now that I am back, I will post certain information when I feel it is important or needed. I will not argue about anything that I post. Should anyone disagree or be skeptical, it is ok to debate, add your opinion or a correction. However, I am not obligated to explain anything or list a source. I don't owe this information to anyone. The general public is NOT entitled to all the inner workings of the MTA prior to them being public. Especially when it comes to contract procurement. This is a privilege.

That being said, the next orders are pretty much decided. However, as not to cause any confusion between any bus manufactures or within the MTA, I will no longer announce to whom a contract will be awarded until I receive an official go-ahead. I will continue to post all other news, updates and exclusives as I always have. I am also working on a new platform for keeping track of bus, train, and depot projects.

For now, please continue to refer to the first post of this thread for Bus Operations information and news.

Edited by East New York

Didn't the (MTA) also get lucky since CTA canceled their last order for LFs?

Yes. That was actually the only way the order was still possible because NFI was left with excessive parts for the LF once CTA cancelled the remainder of their order, and decided not to take any options.