MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

1 hour ago, Flatbush SBS Duece said:

But you are forgetting that those newer bus are only assigned for specific route and not local services. The NGs we are receiving are outdated and will soon become another set of buses the public will soon complain again about they only riding old buses 

I agree. As someone who lives a few blocks from the depot and also by several routes (B41, B46), This Depot really needs some more new buses and some new articulated buses for the B46 SBS, a route that I always take on my way to college classes every morning. If West Farms didn’t end up having to rush retirement of the older buses and take new buses from where they were truly needed (Brooklyn’s underprivileged neighborhoods) then I believe the following assignments would’ve looked like this.

(61) Jamaica

(43) Mike Quill

(54) East New York

(69) Flatbush (48 for B46+)

(65) Fresh Pond

(35) Grand Avenue

(40) Ulmer Park

Total: 367

In Flatbush’s case, the 69 buses would allow for the replacement of the RTS with new buses entirely. While a large chunk would still be specially for the B46+ (which is fine), the remaining buses in the allotment would allow for everyone else who does not ride the B44+ or B46+ to get a ride on the new buses. After all, why let Utica Avenue riders have all the fun? The NGs displaced by the new LFS buses would be sent elsewhere, preferably West Farms if they still have a shortage.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Hopefully when the new XDE40s come in, all of Ulmer Parks XD40s they took from the other Depots (7255-7259, 7346-7363) should go back to where they belong.

Jesus Christ it's just numbers. It's not a big deal.

Do you hear others complaining about where the OGs/NGs go in order to keep them sequential? Buses go to depots that need service. Assignments are not based on unit numbers at all. Swear this is really annoying to read every other day.

31 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Jesus Christ it's just numbers. It's not a big deal.

Do you hear others complaining about where the OGs/NGs go in order to keep them sequential? Buses go to depots that need service. Assignments are not based on unit numbers at all. Swear this is really annoying to read every other day.

..... so true

5 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I agree. As someone who lives a few blocks from the depot and also by several routes (B41, B46), This Depot really needs some more new buses and some new articulated buses for the B46 SBS, a route that I always take on my way to college classes every morning. If West Farms didn’t end up having to rush retirement of the older buses and take new buses from where they were truly needed (Brooklyn’s underprivileged neighborhoods) then I believe the following assignments would’ve looked like this.

(61) Jamaica

(43) Mike Quill

(54) East New York

(69) Flatbush (48 for B46+)

(65) Fresh Pond

(35) Grand Avenue

(40) Ulmer Park

Total: 367

In Flatbush’s case, the 69 buses would allow for the replacement of the RTS with new buses entirely. While a large chunk would still be specially for the B46+ (which is fine), the remaining buses in the allotment would allow for everyone else who does not ride the B44+ or B46+ to get a ride on the new buses. After all, why let Utica Avenue riders have all the fun? The NGs displaced by the new LFS buses would be sent elsewhere, preferably West Farms if they still have a shortage.

What in hell are you talking about? West Farms never rushed to retire the OG CNG's, THEY HAD TO because CNG Buses have tanks that expire. As any depot with a shortage West Farms needed buses to fill in that gap, and the best choice was to send the newer XD40's up to West Farms in order to fill in the shortage gap, and why the hell do you want send Next Gens to a mostly NFI Depot, this makes no sense at all, especially when they house in CNG Buses for Christ sake. This is not about making everyone ride the new buses, its about sending buses where there is a need, not a plea. Most people fail to realize that CNG Buses actually have to be decommissioned by its expiration date, you and a couple of others in here with the same ideology you have always make the mistake of stating things without doing research, because its much easier to say things out of the blue. You people need to research, Google up information about CNG Tanks, search up CNG Buses and their service history in other agencies. Assumptions cannot be made, and is such an irresponsible decision making method in a Transit Agency. Buses don't have to be sequential, its not the end of the world, like its the same damn bus with different numbers, there is no need to have an OCD Breakdown and getting horny over the assignments you feel these buses should have. The only department that knows best is the Department of Buses, they are the one's who make responsible decisions, and know what has to be done.

43 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

What in hell are you talking about? West Farms never rushed to retire the OG CNG's, THEY HAD TO because CNG Buses have tanks that expire. As any depot with a shortage West Farms needed buses to fill in that gap, and the best choice was to send the newer XD40's up to West Farms in order to fill in the shortage gap, and why the hell do you want send Next Gens to a mostly NFI Depot, this makes no sense at all, especially when they house in CNG Buses for Christ sake. This is not about making everyone ride the new buses, its about sending buses where there is a need, not a plea. Most people fail to realize that CNG Buses actually have to be decommissioned by its expiration date, you and a couple of others in here with the same ideology you have always make the mistake of stating things without doing research, because its much easier to say things out of the blue. You people need to research, Google up information about CNG Tanks, search up CNG Buses and their service history in other agencies. Assumptions cannot be made, and is such an irresponsible decision making method in a Transit Agency. Buses don't have to be sequential, its not the end of the world, like its the same damn bus with different numbers, there is no need to have an OCD Breakdown and getting horny over the assignments you feel these buses should have. The only department that knows best is the Department of Buses, they are the one's who make responsible decisions, and know what has to be done.

Well said. @WestFarms36

4 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

THIS ^^^^ needed to be said.

13 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Hopefully when the new XDE40s come in, all of Ulmer Parks XD40s they took from the other Depots (7255-7259, 7346-7363) should go back to where they belong.

Those may stay at UP because of the fact that 7594-7614 have yet to be assigned. The DOB makes decisions that say where do the XDs go to. Meanwhile, those are not seeing the Novas that are coming in for QV & KB are transferring NXGs to depots that have RTS buses left in them. 

By the time KB is done, they may have nothing left but Novas once the NXGs & the XD60s leave. But that may be down the road. 

As for WF with them transferring Novas from MQ, 55/55 (110) should be good for the Bx36 to go full artic, right? 

35 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Those may stay at UP because of the fact that 7594-7614 have yet to be assigned. The DOB makes decisions that say where do the XDs go to. Meanwhile, those are not seeing the Novas that are coming in for QV & KB are transferring NXGs to depots that have RTS buses left in them. 

7594-7614 are stated for MJQ. 

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

7594-7614 are stated for MJQ. 

Somehow, I’m now starting to piece these assignments together. Looking at it this way, some of the final assignments could look like:

7532-7571 (40) Ulmer Park 

7572-7614 (43) Mike Quill (these units have the Aesys Gemini Destination signs)

7615-7662 (48) Flatbush for B46+ (Delivery Complete)

8 hours ago, FLX9304 said:

As for WF with them transferring Novas from MQ, 55/55 (110) should be good for the Bx36 to go full artic, right?

It could probably be 72 Novas, and 72 XN60s (this is including the Bx6 SBS units) for the WF articulated routes, including the Bx36. The depot would still need around 330-335 buses to make service, even with the Bx36 articulation, but I could be wrong.

Edited by JeremiahC99

51 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Somehow, I’m now starting to piece these assignments together. Looking at it this way, some of the final assignments could look like:

7532-7571 (40) Ulmer Park 

7572-7614 (43) Mike Quill (these units have the Aesys Gemini Destination signs)

7615-7662 (48) Flatbush for B46+ (Delivery Complete)

It could probably be 72 Novas, and 72 XN60s (this is including the Bx6 SBS units) for the WF articulated routes, including the Bx36. The depot would still need around 330-335 buses to make service, even with the Bx36 articulation, but I could be wrong.

How about less than 330 buses. 

20 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

That may be possible, but with the articulation of the Bx6 and Bx36, what buses should be moved out to make room? The XD40s?

You way late. You just want the XDs out of WFs. Originally, WF was supposed to be all CNG, but not too many XN40s was ordered. The XN60s, however is to replace the rest of the O7CNGs not replaced by the XN40s, but split between WF & JG to make B35 articulated, and sent 2x the C40s to WF, in which they did. The Novas replaced the 35 D60s that WF had before since they were breaking down a lot, forcing them to borrow buses from other Bronx depots to make service and missing buses. 

WA did not had any problems back when that depot was open. They had their 220, plus extras that they had in storage in case of breakdowns, but their buses was well maintained (nothing but RTS buses but different companies). 

Dropping buses isn’t the question you should be asking. 

The question you should be asking yourself is “Can they make service for that day?”

Just for the record, XD40s at WF is one of the best ideas the MTA ever made. Besides the LFS which for the most part needs to stay at KB, GH to make service, XD40s are another vehicle that can easily make service at WF due to trained maintenance on the XN models. 

We touched on this before, but what if WF/SC/CP was 100% CNG? This is going to seriously limit expansion of service. People worry about a depot running on one type of fuel when you should be looking at the entire system running on one type of transmission. MTA is already doing that by making the entire fleet 100% AEB. What does this mean? This means even CNG buses will be no more. So in the end it doesn't even matter if WF does or doesn't use 100% CNG. It all comes down to mechanics, training, demographics and probably more to learn how a depot runs.

Before I go, I would like to point out one of the reasons a handful of XD40s are at WF is due to the articulation of the Bx6. Would you like to bring back overcrowded 40 fters just to make a depot run one type of fuel?

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Just for the record, XD40s at WF is one of the best ideas the MTA ever made. Besides the LFS which for the most part needs to stay at KB, GH to make service, XD40s are another vehicle that can easily make service at WF due to trained maintenance on the XN models. 

We touched on this before, but what if WF/SC/CP was 100% CNG? This is going to seriously limit expansion of service. People worry about a depot running on one type of fuel when you should be looking at the entire system running on one type of transmission. MTA is already doing that by making the entire fleet 100% AEB. What does this mean? This means even CNG buses will be no more. So in the end it doesn't even matter if WF does or doesn't use 100% CNG. It all comes down to mechanics, training, demographics and probably more to learn how a depot runs.

Before I go, I would like to point out one of the reasons a handful of XD40s are at WF is due to the articulation of the Bx6. Would you like to bring back overcrowded 40 fters just to make a depot run one type of fuel?

Great analysis!  

On 4/10/2019 at 4:47 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Except it doesn't make sense buses MCH only has like 55 buses...the rest of the 1200s are already at KB/GH. U would still need another 35 ish buses to make up.

Flatbush units are all going to the Bronx now.

On 4/11/2019 at 10:06 PM, trainfan22 said:

With the Phoenix being converted to a Metrocard bus I wonder if the Mobile Command Center RTS will get the same treatment. I would imagine in 2019 there's no longer a need for a Mobile Command Center bus...?

Of course we need a mobile command center, and always will for emergency reasons. 

On 4/12/2019 at 8:52 AM, Brillant93 said:

Some of those xd40s (newer ones) should be unwrapped and put into local service. Hence the word should. 

No they shouldn’t. We talked about this 100 times. All SBS service will be with will be new buses. Period. 

On 4/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, WestFarms36 said:

Actually DOB did rush to retire the OG CNG’s. Originally they were going to be repowered and retanked. I totally agree with the rest though.

On 4/13/2019 at 9:36 AM, FLX9304 said:

How about less than 330 buses. 

Give or take.

4 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

CP/SC/WF do however have 100% standard CNG fleets. Anything else is loaners with the exception of WF these days. Original plans were for WF to be 100% CNG a few years back when they converted CP to all CNG. The future is all-Electric now.

1 hour ago, East New York said:

No they shouldn’t. We talked about this 100 times. All SBS service will be with will be new buses. Period. 

I was talking about the 48 xd40s Flatbush has. In which was said a lot of times some of those were going to be put into local service. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

I was talking about the 48 xd40s Flatbush has. In which was said a lot of times some of those were going to be put into local service. 

That’s off the table until buses are available. Seeing as FB’s assignment was reduced, those 14-15 buses will have to remain on the 46+ until buses come back from Bus Company.

6 hours ago, East New York said:

Flatbush units are all going to the Bronx now.

Of course we need a mobile command center, and always will for emergency reasons. 

Actually DOB did rush to retire the OG CNG’s. Originally they were going to be repowered and retanked. I totally agree with the rest though.

Give or take.

CP/SC/WF do however have 100% standard CNG fleets. Anything else is loaners with the exception of WF these days. Original plans were for WF to be 100% CNG a few years back when they converted CP to all CNG. The future is all-Electric now.

Depending on how you @EastNewYork see it. Do more Artics trim the number of buses for more frequent operating routes, if I looked at the Bx15 for example: When the split depot went into an effect near 6 years ago this July with the debut of the Bx41SBS (KB at that time), they (WF) did see an increase amount of Artics running on the Bx19, then the Bx15 followed suit. 

1 hour ago, FLX9304 said:

Do more Artics trim the number of buses for more frequent operating routes

depending on the situation. in some (if not, most) instances artics = cutting runs in some fashion (the B44SBS, the Q53SBS) and in other instances artics are there to increase bus capacity on the runs currently implemented (the Q44SBS being a prime example of this, with the B44SBS getting runs added back after initially being cut)

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

4136 from Kingsbridge to Michael J. Quill.

Kingsbridge slowly clearing out some NG’s to MJQ and Flatbush.  Although, slow on the RTS retirement side. Most of Flatbush RTS we’re out today and FB is down to 35. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

5 hours ago, B22viaAtlanticAv said:

I don't believe everything I see on Youtube but can someone confirm this information... "UPDATE: Fleet numbers just changed. The XE60s (ALL 15 expected to arrive soon) will now be numbered 1110-1124 and no longer 4950-4964." found in the comment section of this video...

@EastNewYork or @TheReal can answer for this