Why does the Bronx get express bus service so late at night?

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, probably one day if I continue doing this I'll get a ticket, but the $100 fine will be far less than the amount I would've saved by then.

Reminds me of the story the Daily News ran, stating exactly that - it's typically cheaper to farebeat and get caught then it is to continuously pay the fare [seeing as how infrequently, if ever, your average farebeater is fined compared to how often they farebeat]

I don't condone farebeating, but it's hard to ignore the money saved even when the law catches up to you.

Anyway, as per the the original question, I believe Checkmatechamp or someone already covered it. The (MTA) has a blank check for the Bronx Express routes, but not for the Staten Island ones. Simple.

Anyway, as the the original question, I believe Checkmatechamp or someone already covered it. The (MTA) has a blank check for the Bronx Express routes, but not for the Staten Island ones. Simple.

Actually it's not that simple because the (MTA) also has a blank check for most of the Queens express bus routes and for most of the Brooklyn express bus routes as well, as the Bronx gets far more express bus service than Brooklyn or Queens does. In any event, I'm going to start writing my elected officials about this because all of the boroughs should be getting their fair share of express bus service. I want Grimm to start meeting w/the (MTA) about expanding our express bus service and I already wrote to him last night. I'll continue to keep pressing this issue until Staten Island gets its fair share of express bus service, particularly late at night. I also use the express buses in Queens and esp. in Brooklyn and I not happy with the fact that in Brooklyn our service has been cut citing low ridership while the Bronx has empty express buses running on several lines yet they have the same service that we used to have that has now been cut.

Actually it's not that simple because the (MTA) also has a blank check for most of the Queens express bus routes and for most of the Brooklyn express bus routes as well, as the Bronx gets far more express bus service than Brooklyn or Queens does. In any event, I'm going to start writing my elected officials about this because all of the boroughs should be getting their fair share of express bus service. I want Grimm to start meeting w/the (MTA) about expanding our express bus service and I already wrote to him last night. I'll continue to keep pressing this issue until Staten Island gets its fair share of express bus service, particularly late at night. I also use the express buses in Queens and esp. in Brooklyn and I not happy with the fact that in Brooklyn our service has been cut citing low ridership while the Bronx has empty express buses running on several lines yet they have the same service that we used to have that has now been cut.

I know it's not simple in terms of fairly distributing service, I meant simple in why this issue occurs :P

The (MTA) knows these are the busiest express routes, if you guys play your cards right hopefully you can get the service you need.

That reminds me. Really dumb question. When NYCT and (MTA) Bus Company merge, what will happen to the blank check agreement with (MTA) Bus Co?

I know it's not simple in terms of fairly distributing service, I meant simple in why this issue occurs :P

The (MTA) knows these are the busiest express routes, if you guys play your cards right hopefully you can get the service you need.

That reminds me. Dumb question. When the

Yeah, I've also asked him to look for funding if need be to make this happen. Other represenatives like Senator Golden in Brooklyn have found funding to ensure that express bus service is maintained accordingly (before the June 2010 cuts in the past) and while I support Grimm's efforts to get a new Goethals Bridge and light rail service, these are projects that if started will take YEARS to complete and still won't benefit that many Staten Islanders. We were promised more service improvements by the (MTA) years ago when they cited a lack of depot space, etc. as to why they couldn't give us the service that we need and now that we have two new depots there is no excuse. If they cry that it will cost too much then Grimm needs to find the funds to make it happen. We are only talking about a few more runs late at night on the X1 and X10 and perhaps the X17 if possible.

The next thing I have to keep close tabs on is the express bus service in Brooklyn because I can ill afford to lose my BM express bus service on Saturdays. :mad:

The reason is that, although Queens is more dependant on express buses, the routes in The Bronx have higher ridership and are cheaper to operate.

The Queens buses pretty much have their last run from Manhattan before midnight, so it makes sense that they end earlier coming from Queens. I assume evening ridership on the Bronx routes is much higher than the Queens routes.

That reminds me. Really dumb question. When NYCT and (MTA) Bus Company merge, what will happen to the blank check agreement with (MTA) Bus Co?

Hopefully, the city would just give them the additional funding and get rid of the blank check agreement.

The way I'd prefer to see funding allocated is that money given to the (MTA) is pre-allocated according to a far stricter series of earmarks, with the funds used for management salaries a) kept separate from the overall pool used for the operating budget and :P required to be requested separately from standard money. I also feel like the metric of cost per passenger is rather deceptive because for struggling routes the implication is that the more people ride the more the bus company will lose. The cost to run each route should be calculated using only these factors:

-No. of operator-hours required to provide service at the current headways

-Cost of fuel required to power each bus used on a route, including deadheads

-No. of maintenance hours needed to keep each bus used on the route in acceptable condition.

Costs like dispatcher salaries, depot clerical staff and management salaries/supplies, bus rescues (towing and servicing broken-down buses), etc. should be provided and analyzed at the per-depot level, and costs for managers, departments, etc. that are not directly related to provision of service (both unrelated departments such as PR and any managerial position above the depot level) should be kept completely separate from service costs.

Now the chances that this would actually happen given the organization we're talking about are minimal, but I think that if costs were accounted for in this manner and then funding was required to be dispensed separately for each set of costs (route-level, depot-level, administration-level, unrelated to provision of service, etc.) rather than poured directly into the all-encompassing operating budget we might begin to see a company that could give the outer boroughs better bus service, including 7-day service on certain Queens and Brooklyn express lines and 24-hour service on a few express lines on SI.

The reason is that, although Queens is more dependant on express buses, the routes in The Bronx have higher ridership and are cheaper to operate.

The Queens buses pretty much have their last run from Manhattan before midnight, so it makes sense that they end earlier coming from Queens. I assume evening ridership on the Bronx routes is much higher than the Queens routes.

There's higher ridership but not on all of those Bronx lines...

There's higher ridership but not on all of those Bronx lines...

In queens the express service is good enough QM5/6 and QM2 and 20 are good enough the ridership DOES NOT justify later night service. Especially since the (F) is 24/7 express. Last I checked queens blvd doesn't count as express even if it is non-stop. If you want speed you will NOT beusing express buses at all unless it's QM2/20 or QM5/6 everywhere else has LIRR which is good enough. The so called elderly have subway and bus. The x63 and 68 and QM21 do NOT need more. Their ridership is just too low. QM15 is decent and supplemented by BM5 thanks to added stops. FYI QM 5 and 6 already have 7 day service and QM2 also is 7 days. Your complaints about queens are empty without ridership to back it up. In addition again you brooklyn ppl do not use your buses enough except maybe BM2 and 1 and maybe BM3 if MTA has to enhance while keeping the cost neutral BS I am sorry but the BM4 will be the first to go bye bye. But look on the bright side you can keep BM3 with extra trips but in order to be cost neutral something has to give. If you love your service so much then use it!!!!!!!!!! MTA should not be expected to keep a bus ppl DO NOT USE!!!!! your problem is you constantly OVERESTIMATE express bus ridership demand yet when the numbers come and the facts come you are quick to deny it. The only reason why X28/27 should get their weekend service back is because they have the highest bus ridership in the system higher than BM lines. However I agree some bronx lines get too much service but if the (6) wasn't a total ass then BXM6 would get service that reflects demand. The only reason why BXM11 use is high is cause the (2) and (5) SUCK BALLZ!!!!!!!! And even still some times the bus carries air. BXM9 and 7 will always be high. BXM10 gets ppl. However BXM6 can be strategically modded to increase ridership.

In queens the express service is good enough QM5/6 and QM2 and 20 are good enough the ridership DOES NOT justify later night service. Especially since the (F) is 24/7 express. Last I checked queens blvd doesn't count as express even if it is non-stop. If you want speed you will NOT beusing express buses at all unless it's QM2/20 or QM5/6 everywhere else has LIRR which is good enough. The so called elderly have subway and bus. The x63 and 68 and QM21 do NOT need more. Their ridership is just too low. QM15 is decent and supplemented by BM5 thanks to added stops. FYI QM 5 and 6 already have 7 day service and QM2 also is 7 days. Your complaints about queens are empty without ridership to back it up. In addition again you brooklyn ppl do not use your buses enough except maybe BM2 and 1 and maybe BM3 if MTA has to enhance while keeping the cost neutral BS I am sorry but the BM4 will be the first to go bye bye. But look on the bright side you can keep BM3 with extra trips but in order to be cost neutral something has to give. If you love your service so much then use it!!!!!!!!!! MTA should not be expected to keep a bus ppl DO NOT USE!!!!! your problem is you constantly OVERESTIMATE express bus ridership demand yet when the numbers come and the facts come you are quick to deny it. The only reason why X28/27 should get their weekend service back is because they have the highest bus ridership in the system higher than BM lines. However I agree some bronx lines get too much service but if the (6) wasn't a total ass then BXM6 would get service that reflects demand. The only reason why BXM11 use is high is cause the (2) and (5) SUCK BALLZ!!!!!!!! And even still some times the bus carries air. BXM9 and 7 will always be high. BXM10 gets ppl. However BXM6 can be strategically modded to increase ridership.

Just stop.

what am i doing wrong now????? Seriously with the crap i am stating facts here. Not everything i say is wrong that is impossible there has to be flaws in ur logic as well if you have nothing to add or nice to say or correct a flaw shut up

Uhhh.... STOP ALL!!!

You already DID start a war...WITH YOUR STUPID IDEAS AND YOUR ATTITUDE....
what ideas??? I have no bxm ideas. I made none what can you possibly be referring to notice how you need bold to get ur point accross that is pathetic grow up. My last post was not ideas just statement of bxm facts now unless you have ur own ideas don't bother me. Cause you really sound weak

what ideas??? I have no bxm ideas. I made none what can you possibly be referring to notice how you need bold to get ur point accross that is pathetic grow up. My last post was not ideas just statement of bxm facts now unless you have ur own ideas don't bother me. Cause you really sound weak

OH so I sound weak...A fact ISN'T a fact if it has NO PROOF. Stop this already, your just gonna get yourself in trouble. YOUR A LOAD OF BS.

OH so I sound weak...A fact ISN'T a fact if it has NO PROOF. Stop this already, your just gonna get yourself in trouble. YOUR A LOAD OF BS.

I was referring to ridership habits of BXM bronx lines and how most but NOT all justify the service. Along with Queens and brooklyn routes what are you talking about you say I take things off-topic guess what this is an express bus thread DO NOT drag it off topic with petty insults this is NOT YO MAMA FREESTYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was referring to ridership habits of BXM bronx lines and how most but NOT all justify the service. Along with Queens and brooklyn routes what are you talking about you say I take things off-topic guess what this is an express bus thread DO NOT drag it off topic with petty insults this is NOT YO MAMA FREESTYLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa. You make me laugh! Too funny!!! Man your comments DON'T HURT ME!!! HAHAHAAHAH!

Lets get back on topics :

BXM lines run with the subways, to make a faster ride and an alternative if the subway screws up. Other express lines don't get service so late at night cause people don't ride them that much during the night time.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa. You make me laugh! Too funny!!! Man your comments DON'T HURT ME!!! HAHAHAAHAH!

Lets get back on topics :

BXM lines run with the subways, to make a faster ride and an alternative if the subway screws up. Other express lines don't get service so late at night cause people don't ride them that much during the night time.

ok now we are on tpoic again I am not trying to hurt you just bringing ya back to cooling mode now chill. We AREN'T DEALING WITH MISSILES general

Archived