NYC Subway Maps for Sale

Hey All,

After talking with Brighton Local (who sadly does not live in Phoenix anymore!) and showing him some of my maps, he suggested creating custom maps for anyone who was interested in buying them.

I know the MTA website sells them framed or laminated and what not--but for $70 or $80. To me, that is wildly expensive for a map---just my personal opinion. But have you ever looked at the Fantasy maps thread and wondered what it would be like to have a large custom map of your very own hanging on your wall?

Well, wonder no more! I am officially announcing that I'm going to start selling my custom, hand-drawn NYC Subway Maps to anyone who would like one. Pricing starts around $40, and will not go anything higher than $50. The reason for the pricing is for the following reasons:

-Each map is hand-drawn by me, piece by piece--no photocopies, no copy/pasting, NO computer artwork. Everything is done by hand, a process that takes anywhere from two weeks to a month, depending on the complexity of your custom map.

-I have to cover shipping costs since I live in Phoenix, and a majority of you live on the east coast. It's not cheap.

-I also have to cover the costs of supplies (reams of paper, Sharpies, pencils, tape, colored pencils and the like).

So in actuality, my profit won't be that much. But, it's a labor of love, and something I would love to share with the community. Below are some of the WIP shots of a map I am working on for a friend. It's the standard June 2010 subway map with a few alterations. Normal maps are available too.

I am also working on a custom subway map for Zach (Brighton Local), and the last photo is a MS Paint mock up to show him what it will look like. The possibilities are endless!

I hope to get some buyers!

NYC11-01.jpg

NYC11-02.jpg

NYC11-03.jpg

NYC11-04.jpg

NYC11-05.jpg

Mock up of Zach's map that I've just started working on in real life.

ZSummerMap.png

-A :cool:

Very professional and realistic. :tup: I might request one in the near future.

Thanks man! You should have seen my very first ones, done in 2007. I've come a long way since then. I've drawn maybe 8 or 10 maps since then, and each one is unique in its own way. I believe the photos are number 9 and Zach's is #10. I will have an "order form" up in the next few days with checklists and stuff for those of you who want to submit an order. You can also submit a request now, but wait to order in the future.

What program you using to make the digital one? I recommend Adobe Illustrator

http://jonstrainphotos.com/maps

Right now, I'm just using MS Paint. The mock up was supposed to look like that--very rudimentary just to show Zach where the lines he requested would be going. If I start to get order requests, I will definitely make a more "professional" looking digital copy for those who want to see what it would look like before making a purchase.

Very professional and realistic. :tup: I might request one in the near future.

Thanks man! You should have seen my very first ones, done in 2007. I've come a long way since then. I've drawn maybe 8 or 10 maps since then, and each one is unique in its own way. I believe the photos are number 9 and Zach's is #10. I will have an "order form" up in the next few days with checklists and stuff for those of you who want to submit an order. You can also submit a request now, but wait to order in the future.

What program you using to make the digital one? I recommend Adobe Illustrator

http://jonstrainphotos.com/maps

Right now, I'm just using MS Paint. The mock up was supposed to look like that--very rudimentary just to show Zach where the lines he requested would be going. If I start to get order requests, I will definitely make a more "professional" looking digital copy for those who want to see what it would look like before making a purchase.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys--

I recently got back to work on Zach's customized Subway Map--his includes all the current routes (except (M)) and also includes the (Mx) (H) and (T), as well as the (V) to Canarsie, (7)<7> to Javits Center, (Q) to 125 St and more. Below are some shots I just took a few minutes ago--Manhattan & Bronx foundation drawings are completed.

The Bronx:

Bronx.jpg

Upper Manhattan:

UpperManhattan.jpg

Midtown:

Midtown.jpg

Lower Manhattan:

LowerManhattan.jpg

RiverCrossings.jpg

Sorry for the fuzzy quality on some of them--it was taken with a camera phone.

Enjoy!

Custom maps are still (as always) for sale--PM if you're interested and we can make arrangements and such.

Just a Thanksgiving update on the progress of Zach's custom map, featuring the two boroughs where the customization is most prominent: Queens & Brooklyn.

It's not entirely obvious yet, but the (:P and (D) are back on their historic Brooklyn routes, with the (;) on West End, and the (D) on the Brighton Express. Also the (W) is a diamond rush-hour express to Bay Parkway; the (D) terminates at Brighton Beach except nights and weekends when it goes to Coney Island, and the (Q) turns at Brighton. Lastly, the (Mx) via Brighton to CI is weekdays only, and the (V) to Canarsie is also M-F.

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Just in time for Zach's weekend here in Phoenix, I've finished his custom subway map. Below are some pictures for you all; he'll be writing a review of the map in this thread soon, and hopefully the positive feedback will incline others to purchase a map in the future. This was one of the best I've produced so far and it was a blast to make.

Just as a heads up, here are the custom routes added to the map (includes modifications to the original):

(;) via West End, (D) via Brighton

(C) extended as <C> to Rockaway Park, rush hours, (H) Rockaway Shuttle via Hammels Wye (from Broad Channel to Rockaway Park, then to Far Rockaway and back); extended to Euclid late nights. Blue (S) on the map as well for Lefferts.

(N) back as B'way Express, (Q) to 125 St/2 Av with the (T)

(Mx) back, to CI weekdays.

(G) full time Continental-Church Av. Rush hours as <G> to Kings Hwy

(R) as Hillside Av local to 179/Jamaica.

(V) to Canarsie

(W) to Bay Pkwy (west end) rush hours; other times Ditmars-Whitehall.

(7)<7> extended to Javits Center. Some trains start/end at 111 St/Corona.

(1) Some trains start/end at 137 St

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0245.jpg

IMAG0244.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0241.jpg

IMAG0240.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

Enjoy!

You have got some serious art skill! I made my own map (digital, in the subway section) but yours is so much better!It's great and I can't wait to see more of this stuff!

Thanks for the kind words!

You'll only see more of this stuff if I get another buyer, seeing as Zach was my first (and so far only) customer.

• 2 weeks later...

That would be great. I gave Zach his map a few weeks ago when he was here in Phoenix, so that concludes that project!

The price is set at $45-50, dependent on a few things. The lower end of the range ($45) is just for a non-fictional version of the map, and $50 for a customized map (you can go as crazy as you'd like, within reason that is ;))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No, the (T) is going to be local for the entire run from 125/Lex (4)(5)(6) to Hanover Square. Zach wanted the (T) to end at Grand St; usually the concept maps showed the white bubbles for major transfer points [(E)(M) at 53 St, etc], but I just stuck with the basic map principle of filled circles for local stations and blank ones for express.

The only places where the (T) isn't 2 tracks is before the approach and curve to 125/Lex where there are two Bronx layup tracks, and 125 St itself is three tracks; also where the (Q) will swing to 63 St, the connection to the Queens Blvd line at 53 St, and two side layup tracks at 14 St. Other than that, it's a dual track alignment the entire way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YES!

I am working on my customised "line/strip" maps for you to use as a guide for my map, which is going to be fictional/hopeful one. (now if only my real work would not get in the way.

Don't give up. I think your work is great.

PS: Would you ship to the UK?

• 8 months later...

Archived