Nassau Inter County Express (Nice) Discussion

Amtrak7

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, I hope the N45 isn't cut; I use that route to go to Bellmore sometimes. But I'm certain it will be.

If anything, I'm really worried for all the South Shore towns east of Freeport - they'll all probably be left with zero bus service (not that the regulars of the town care, as they have cars), and that will not be good for those that have to travel to work there. I also go out there sometimes to Sunrise Mall, but I don't know what I'd do after the cuts. (Well, maybe the N71 will still be preserved.)

The N19 does get crowded, I've noticed (was just on it last week). Cutting that one would be a big mistake (unless you're dependent on the LIRR there).

Man, I hope the N45 isn't cut; I use that route to go to Bellmore sometimes. But I'm certain it will be.

If anything, I'm really worried for all the South Shore towns east of Freeport - they'll all probably be left with zero bus service (not that the regulars of the town care, as they have cars), and that will not be good for those that have to travel to work there. I also go out there sometimes to Sunrise Mall, but I don't know what I'd do after the cuts. (Well, maybe the N71 will still be preserved.)

The N19 does get crowded, I've noticed (was just on it last week). Cutting that one would be a big mistake (unless you're dependent on the LIRR there).

In the original plan proposed by the MTA, the N71 was the only route left in Southeast Nassau. The N54/N55 get decent ridership (the cost per passenger is less than $3), so those would likely stay, and the N19 costs a little less than $5 per passenger, so that's a toss-up.

The thing is that the LIRR is parallel to it for most of the route, and for most of the route, the passengers are no more than a 20 minute walk from the nearest station (about 10 minutes to Sunrise Highway, and then 10 minutes along Sunrise Highway), and they mentioned somewhere that they shouldn't leave passengers more than a mile from a transit route.

How will the transition work with runs that run into the next day? And runs that start after midnight?

One example would be: what if a run from Hempstead is scheduled to get to Jamaica at 12:15am? (im not looking up actual times). Would they just need a bus with a sticker over the MTA local for the return trip? Would they have to pull over and let an onboard Violia driver continue the trip? Would they have to drive an unpainted bus back to the depot out of service while a painted bus is already waiting at the Jamaica bus terminal for the return trip?

What are the logistics of the actual switch over of routes running during that time?

Where did the grant money come from? Was it originally for LIB? Or specifically for the switch over?

Originally for LIB.

The thing is that the LIRR is parallel to it for most of the route, and for most of the route, the passengers are no more than a 20 minute walk from the nearest station (about 10 minutes to Sunrise Highway, and then 10 minutes along Sunrise Highway), and they mentioned somewhere that they shouldn't leave passengers more than a mile from a transit route.

"Most" customers must have alternate BUS service within 1 mile, from what I interpret it as.

I find it interesting how the tone has changed over the past few months and many are speaking in Eulogy terms when it comes to the MTA & MTA LIB. "The MTA is great, and they provided great service and they care about bus riders", etc etc. But any other time they want to demonize the MTA. "No fare hikes, no service cuts, be more efficient, stop waste, etc."

Don't worry, I was just on the site, and all of the routes seem like they are going to be kept, and MetroCard™ is the only fare card that you can use, along with cash as an option.

Don't worry, I was just on the site, and all of the routes seem like they are going to be kept, and MetroCard™ is the only fare card that you can use, along with cash as an option.

true but I have a feeling N45 if it were to get cut would just lose the duplicate segment and the unique part transfered to a hempstead rte if all hell breaks loose then a certain line can take it I don't know anything else other than that.

NICE Bus Update

*Ad photos*

Speaking of ads, do you all think that Violia will get actual ads in the bus? Usually the buses had no ads, or MTA LIB ads. Outside, some have the side banner, and a few years ago they had that real estate ad on the entire back, it was all purple.

true but I have a feeling N45 if it were to get cut would just lose the duplicate segment and the unique part transfered to a hempstead rte if all hell breaks loose then a certain line can take it I don't know anything else other than that.

Which segment of the route gets the most ridership? Whats a typical ride llke? how many people usually are on the bus?

Speaking of ads, do you all think that Violia will get actual ads in the bus? Usually the buses had no ads, or MTA LIB ads. Outside, some have the side banner, and a few years ago they had that real estate ad on the entire back, it was all purple.

Which segment of the route gets the most ridership? Whats a typical ride llke? how many people usually are on the bus?

I admit I can't speculate on that ask joel up front or pine power. But from what I heard N45 doesn't carry well in it's current form. Weak rush hour service on it's bellmore leg plus duplicates N43 which is MORE frequent you tell me I only know so much.

I admit I can't speculate on that ask joel up front or pine power. But from what I heard N45 doesn't carry well in it's current form. Weak rush hour service on it's bellmore leg plus duplicates N43 which is MORE frequent you tell me I only know so much.

The N43 is on 45 min headways. The N45 is on hourly headways. I've seen nicely loaded N43's leaving Roosevelt Field. I've rarely seen N45's but the one or 2 that I've seen had maybe 1-5 people on them.

The MTA didn't want to do it, but maybe Violia could run routes with smaller fleet vehicles. Could they use Van's if necessary?

The N43 is on 45 min headways. The N45 is on hourly headways. I've seen nicely loaded N43's leaving Roosevelt Field. I've rarely seen N45's but the one or 2 that I've seen had maybe 1-5 people on them.

The MTA didn't want to do it, but maybe Violia could run routes with smaller fleet vehicles. Could they use Van's if necessary?

obviously I was withholding info. My opinion is eliminate the line completely then extend select runs of the N6 and N6 LTD to bellmore via greenwich street and park ave to cover the former routing of the N45 left behind. Have 30 min headways or enough to time with the bellmore LIRR. Ridership should pickup as a result. And the revenue on these N6 trips would simply increase and this would mean more transfer opportunities for former N45 ppl. Turn N51 into an LIE express route as a last ditch effort to gain riders and even win ppl away from some of the Jamaica lines but go to LGA via HOV LIE and service road in queens to dodge traffic. That is desperation talking however I don't know how practical it can be or how much ppl it would attract but something to get life into it.

The proposal I had for LIB was to add major trip generators or corridors to strengthen weak lines like N80 and N50/51 and N46 and N2/8 even in some cases via reroute the line entirely to create a different more productive route.

Save the smaller vehicles for the parkway routes where full buses can't run anyway. Like a meadowbrook express N62 with vans stopping at RXR plaza and going through the nassau hub replacing former N93 then via RFM to express to royslyn to replace N28 running at rush hours only with ltd shift service for night IF demand warrants.

The N8 had good intentions but the routing sucks. It runs along the N25 on Franklin Ave, so they steal riders from each other, depending on which bus comes first. Most of it's riders just want to get dropped off along Franklin Ave north of Dutch Broadway, or picked up and taken to the N6, the N25 can handle that. Some runs for both lines are scheduled mins apart, so you'll see a N8 and N25 running down Franklin Ave together, with one or the other basically empty, lame.

Then It runs along Dutch Broadway which is fine, most people had to walk from the N1 or N2.(and still do). The bus also runs like crap, It's just some route on 1 hour headways and therefore has no meaningful connections to the N4 or N6. Before this whole Violia thing, It would have been more useful to have the (Q83) or (Q4) cover Dutch Broadway. I think riders would rather go to Jamaica, or up Elmont Road to the N6, as opposed to Franklin Ave, though if the bus went to Hempstead it would have had higher ridership. It would have been a Hempstead-Green Acres bus, and an alternative to the crowded N6. Especially for those who would have had to transfer to the N1.

Archived