Is it a really big difference between mabstoa and t.a. Bus operators?

ac1962

Is there a big difference in wages and benefits?

I think the only difference is the Civil Service status for TA ops.

Oh, and if you have five years or more, and you come from an OA depot to TA (not sure if it's vice versa), then you lose 5 years of seniority. So, say if you have 20 years, then you'd lose 5 years off that, making it 15 years instead.

Manhattan And Bronx Surface Transit Operation Authority (MABSTOA) don't have official civil service but have protection as if we did. Our pensions system is different, we are not part of NYCERS. As far as operators goes we can work in Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn division depots.Anyone with a peg number of 5000 or below can go to any of the three division depots but if they go to a TA depot they only get to keep 5 years of seniority. Anyone with a peg number 5000 and above can move freely with in the 3 divisions with out losing any seniority. I was told by someone from HR riding on my bus that some how someway MABSTOA make more money some how with the pension system, she did not go into detail.

• 2 weeks later...

dont remind me (crying). but quick question, if a veteran operator from mta bus took the test and was called for ta/oa and went to zerega would they put him through the 7 day test? or once they see he can drive and has been operating in service for years would they just send him to line training?:confused:

I didnt hear the question who makes more money :P MTABUS ops make that dough that others only wish and for those in other garages well it's a contract thing

As far as pay rate we are very similar (TA/OA and MTABUS). Must say your pension system is a ways behind TA/OA system. MTABUS makes $105 per year of service. 25 years x $105 = $2625 a month which comes to $31.5K a year. Now if i did 25 years and putting in massive overtime(like everyone does) my last 3 years i could easily make 100K a year. 25 years of service would equal 50%(2% for every year up to 30 years, every year after 1.5%) 25 Years of service X 2% per year would = 50%. Half of $100K = $50k a year. MTABUS guys cant do what i just describe due to the pension being locked at $105 per year of service.ATU i think make $1200 a month for 25 years of service. For the MTABUS guy to make what i just described what TA/OA guys do (25 Years + pension padding) would take 40 years of service. Like i said TA/OA pension system is the preferred system.

dont remind me (crying). but quick question, if a veteran operator from mta bus took the test and was called for ta/oa and went to zerega would they put him through the 7 day test? or once they see he can drive and has been operating in service for years would they just send him to line training?:confused:

There was a fella from LI Bus division who was switching over to TA, and was in our class, but all he did was file paperwork for the switch, they gave him a depot, did line training, and that was that. He kept his original badge too.

Well I can tell you guys that our pension plan in MTA BUS will and is going to change real soon that's one of the main things that TWU is in talks for our division. I'm been going to some of the meetings, and also they trying to get ride of that epic Green pass of ours and make it universal. So our division is up and coming just stay tuned.

I forgot to pin point as well as our fellow ATU depots ( FAR ROCK, JFK, and SC ) as well will follow suit in our mission at MTA BUS division to be if not the same level as TA/OA at least close to it. You guys will see, we are all going to be as one pretty soon. Let's just say RBO, its coming to a store near you. LMAO.

Archived