NYC Express Bus Map 1995

Far Rock Depot

It looks like there are some extra routes on the map. For instance, it looks like there are some routes going across (what looks like) 65th Street and Bay Ridge Parkway in Brooklyn. I know there weren't any express routes in that area back in 1995, so what are those lines?

The three routes you may be referring to are the BM10, BM11 and BM15 that were operated by a pbl called Metro Apple Express. They went defunct around 95/96. The buses were white with a red stripe and an apple for its logo. So, yes, there were routes there back then. If you're referring to the BQ routes, those along with the BW and BQJ routes were Command routes serving Aqueduct, Yonkers raceway, Belmont Park, shea stadium and meadowlands racetrack.

This is correct. But they did have one more route that isn't shown on the map. Amtrak use to run trains out of both Penn Station and Grand Central as well. Passengers needing to transfer took an Amtrak Thruway bus between the two stations. These buses were Metro Apple Express buses and drivers. If you search for pics of these online, you may see ones with "AMTRAK" on its rollsign. This is that one route.

They also ran the Department of Labor shuttle from Downtown Brooklyn to the office, which was in DUMBO somewhere.

It used old non-A/C Fishowls with the back doors sealed up. (where the expresses used suburban New Look Flxibles). At the very end, they began buying the oldest 1981 RTS's (1200's) that were being retired from NYCT. (I looked for them to get Classics like all the other PBL's, but I didn't realize they were different from the others, in not having a DOT subsidy).

When they folded, Command then picked up the shuttle, using modified school-type buses. (Transit styled, with rear engine). I think those test CNG Orion I's also ran on it.

I don't even think they still have that anymore.

A few years ago, when they were talking about expanding service, before all the cutbacks started, there were even rumors floating around of (MTA) starting up one of the routes again (Either the 10 or 15!)

They also ran the Department of Labor shuttle from Downtown Brooklyn to the office, which was in DUMBO somewhere.

It used old non-A/C Fishowls with the back doors sealed up. (where the expresses used suburban New Look Flxibles). At the very end, they began buying the oldest 1981 RTS's (1200's) that were being retired from NYCT. (I looked for them to get Classics like all the other PBL's, but I didn't realize they were different from the others, in not having a DOT subsidy).

When they folded, Command then picked up the shuttle, using modified school-type buses. (Transit styled, with rear engine). I think those test CNG Orion I's also ran on it.

I don't even think they still have that anymore.

A few years ago, when they were talking about expanding service, before all the cutbacks started, there were even rumors floating around of (MTA) starting up one of the routes again (Either the 10 or 15!)

where did the 10 and 15 go?

See for yourself: List of express bus routes in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The BM10 started from 97th Street/3rd Avenue, the BM11 started from Bay Parkway/Bay Ridge Parkway, and the BM15 started at the CI Hospital. All 3 ran to 5th Avenue/59th Street in Midtown (it looks like they all took the X27/28/29 route within Manhattan)

i took a few more pics a few nights ago. the pics show Metro Apple's routes in BK and Manhattan, and a snip of its times. (routes shown in Purple)

Its BK routes

Manhattan-20120131-00022.jpg

Lower Manhattan (note the BM15 on water st. It was one trip southbound only)

Manhattan-20120131-00024.jpg

North Midtown (routes went north on Churchst/6th Ave to CPS then south via 5th/Bway)

Manhattan-20120131-00023.jpg

NB times and headways. (dont worry. all tits info is indeed shown)

Manhattan-20120131-00021.jpg

SB times. headways are the same as AM except that 15 Min one. all PM trips were 30 min peak

Manhattan-20120131-00020.jpg

• 6 months later...

What was the x28 doing on SI and what were the BQJ routes?

1. Those were all the other SI express buses, not the X28. They didn't show the other routes because they were alot of them.

2. The BQJ routes were the Meadowlands Racetrack specials, operated by Command Bus Company.

For the post above, dang, you beat it to me!

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Why doesn't this exist today it would be so useful.

Since 2000:

Command discontinued all racetrack routes while their BM counterparts except the BM2S went to MTABC.

SI saw the express buses routing grow, but X6, X13, X16, X18 & X20 was cut in 2010. They did add X22A in 2012 and X21 in 2014. All others X20s, X30 and X17J was ex-Academy routes absorbed to NYCTA with the exception of X23 & X24 and introduced NYCTA to a different way by using NJT from Exit 13 to 16.

The Bronx saw changes as well. With the discontinuation of BxM4A, the B was renumbered BxM4. The merging of BxM7A/B became BxM8.

Queens saw massive renumberings since 2010, with QM5, 6, 7, 8 & 25

Wait there's more.

Then last year, 3rd Ave version has the QM30s & QM40s

So in point, what was once a colorful map is all blue now.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Archived