NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

12 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

n20:

I knew at some point they would introduce an n20x route but I wonder what that would that mean for the n20H. Does anyone think the n20X should run all the way to Hicksville? I haven’t been on the n20H since 2021 so I don’t know how the ridership to Hicksville. I think there is too much service on Northern Blvd east of Great Neck with the n20H, n20X and n21. 

It's not really being introduced, more like it's being introduced. The n20x (and n20L) is like NICE's version of the McRib.

For the most part, these changes seem to be good, but I'll hold my applause for them until the schedules come out. NICE still hasn't really fully solved the situation it created with the Queens to Hickville services. If it's really not interested in running through routes to Hicksville anymore they should change the route numbers. IIRC there used to be another route that did Mineola to Hicksville, I believe it was the N78 or N79 or something like that. Also s far as I'm aware you don't get the free additional transfer when you go from the n20G to the n20H anymore like they originally promised. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, IAlam said:

It's not really being introduced, more like it's being introduced. The n20x (and n20L) is like NICE's version of the McRib.

For the most part, these changes seem to be good, but I'll hold my applause for them until the schedules come out. NICE still hasn't really fully solved the situation it created with the Queens to Hickville services. If it's really not interested in running through routes to Hicksville anymore they should change the route numbers. IIRC there used to be another route that did Mineola to Hicksville, I believe it was the N78 or N79 or something like that. Also s far as I'm aware you don't get the free additional transfer when you go from the n20G to the n20H anymore like they originally promised. 

It's both. They truncated them to Hicksville in favor of another Jamaica-Hicksville route, only to start trying to half-ass walking it back a few years later.

9 hours ago, IAlam said:

The n24 took over n78/n79 service between Mineola and Hicksville reducing those two routes to a rush hour service. What is so crazy nowadays is the split NICE did for both the n22/n24 when in all honesty they should had left the n78/n79 alone.

4 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The n24 took over n78/n79 service between Mineola and Hicksville reducing those two routes to a rush hour service. What is so crazy nowadays is the split NICE did for both the n22/n24 when in all honesty they should had left the n78/n79 alone.

Truncating the 78/79 to Hicksville was the right move

You had way too much duplication of service between Mineola and Roosevelt Field, and you had that very lightly used n24 RXR E Meadow Branch. Extending it to Hicksville was the better utilization of resources as well as provide one seat rides to people coming from western Nassau to the shopping areas around Old County Rd. 

what made less sense is when they split the n24

10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Nah, even back when the N78/N79 ran to Mineola, ridership from points east of Hicksville on both of those routes used to tank at Hicksville RR.... In turn, N78/79's along OCR were even emptier than the current eastern split of the n24 (as in, RFM - Hicksville) were.... Having the n24 go Jamaica - Hicksville was/is a far better use of resources than having N78's go Plainview - Mineola, and especially having N79's go South Huntington - Mineola....

Killing the span of the n78/n79 ultimately did that route pairing in.... Well, that, and the waning demand for Walt Whitman (n79).....

8 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

You had way too much duplication of service between Mineola and Roosevelt Field, and you had that very lightly used n24 RXR E Meadow Branch. Extending it to Hicksville was the better utilization of resources as well as provide one seat rides to people coming from western Nassau to the shopping areas around Old County Rd. 

Yep, N15, N22, N24, N78, N79 and they all got stuck in holiday traffic on OCR, even more so since they looped in and out of the mall via East Gate Blvd. 

On 8/17/2023 at 8:58 AM, Lex said:

It's both. They truncated them to Hicksville in favor of another Jamaica-Hicksville route, only to start trying to half-ass walking it back a few years later.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:38 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

16 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Nah, even back when the N78/N79 ran to Mineola, ridership from points east of Hicksville on both of those routes used to tank at Hicksville RR.... In turn, N78/79's along OCR were even emptier than the current eastern split of the n24 (as in, RFM - Hicksville) were.... Having the n24 go Jamaica - Hicksville was/is a far better use of resources than having N78's go Plainview - Mineola, and especially having N79's go South Huntington - Mineola....

Killing the span of the n78/n79 ultimately did that route pairing in.... Well, that, and the waning demand for Walt Whitman (n79).....

22 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

Traffic aside the current configuration of having the split route is a mess. It's at least inconvenient and at worse extremely confusing. If NICE doesn't want to run the full route then they should disassociate it from the n22/24. they should just rebrand the eastern branches into something else. But what makes it worse for me is how the split is done. Yeah, there may have been a lot of routes going from Mineola to RFM, but having people make an additional transfer just to go a short distance is extremely inconvenient. From the west your only option into RFM is the n24 and your only option to Mineola from the east is the n22. Their bandaid to this was to add the second transfer but that only works if paying with cash or with a mobile ticket, which IMO makes the situation worse since as far as I'm aware a metrocard is still the main way of paying. 

59 minutes ago, IAlam said:

Traffic aside the current configuration of having the split route is a mess. It's at least inconvenient and at worse extremely confusing. If NICE doesn't want to run the full route then they should disassociate it from the n22/24. they should just rebrand the eastern branches into something else. But what makes it worse for me is how the split is done. Yeah, there may have been a lot of routes going from Mineola to RFM, but having people make an additional transfer just to go a short distance is extremely inconvenient. From the west your only option into RFM is the n24 and your only option to Mineola from the east is the n22. Their bandaid to this was to add the second transfer but that only works if paying with cash or with a mobile ticket, which IMO makes the situation worse since as far as I'm aware a metrocard is still the main way of paying. 

They still have buses going Jamaica-Hicksville on weekends.

7 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

They still have buses going Jamaica-Hicksville on weekends.

There's nothing stopping them from at the very least labeling the route like they do with the n20. Even a n22J and n22H would be better than nothing.

1 minute ago, IAlam said:

There's nothing stopping them from at the very least labeling the route like they do with the n20. Even a n22J and n22H would be better than nothing.

Perhaps, but the core issue, which is a valid one, that you laid out in your prior post would still reign true.

Funny how their dubbing of the two resultant splits of the n20 have long had people complaining that the connection b/w the two at LIRR Great Neck are the furthest thing from timely....

I just don't concern myself with route nomenclature.... I mean, they still got a route called the "n40/41" rolling around - although the part of the former n41 (as a standalone route) that distinguished it from the n40, has been absorbed by the n43... Still chuckle when I hear the announcement literally say "n forty forty one" to this day.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/1122967077234425947/1143263476127649812/20230819_152308.jpg

new n20X stop posted in flushing 

On 8/15/2023 at 11:17 PM, Sylveon said:

**#NICEAlert**

Service changes for the fall schedules:

- n16X **Express** to Nassau Community College returns for the fall semester, service will now operate every 20 minutes

- New **n20X Express** service will operate between Flushing and Roslyn during rush hours, all trips will skip Great Neck LIRR

- n21 will now have midday frequency

- n22 will have service every 15 minutes all day between Jamaica and Mineola

- n25/58 service improved to every 15 minutes 

- n27 service improved to every 30 minutes

- All n15 trips going via County Seat Drive will now terminate at Mineola Intermodal Center

- For the first time in history, the n70 will operate on **weekends** between Hempstead and Farmingdale State College, ALL n72 weekend trips have been cut, the early morning and late night trips on weekdays will remain unchanged

- All n71 trips on weekends will now operate between Farmingdale State College and **Amityville LIRR Station**. 

- All n22X **Express** trips will no longer start and end at Hicksville, they will now start and end at Roosevelt Field Mall

Something that was not mentioned is that the n15 on Saturdays will operate every 20 minutes along the entire route. Currently, service runs every 15 minutes south of Hempstead and every 30 minutes north of it. So a service cut south of Hempstead. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 8/23/2023 at 4:15 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Something that was not mentioned is that the n15 on Saturdays will operate every 20 minutes along the entire route. Currently, service runs every 15 minutes south of Hempstead and every 30 minutes north of it. So a service cut south of Hempstead. 

At this point, I'm just waiting for the n15 north of Hempstead to get completely nerfed - especially if that part time n15 service to Mineola flops...

Highly unlikely that service will be reverted (to RFM via County Seat & OCR) if it does, and I don't really see them increasing service to RFM via the normal routing (Clinton) either - esp. given that the n16, n27, and n35 still all do HTC - RFM...

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

At this point, I'm just waiting for the n15 north of Hempstead to get completely nerfed - especially if that part time n15 service to Mineola flops...

Highly unlikely that service will be reverted (to RFM via County Seat & OCR) if it does, and I don't really see them increasing service to RFM via the normal routing (Clinton) either - esp. given that the n16, n27, and n35 still all do HTC - RFM...

That would be interesting.  We know the service to Mineola is just to save on mileage, but is there enough ridership to County Seat Dr to justify that short turn?
When I used to use the N15, many riders were riding from HTC to One Old Country Rd / Country Glen Center and Glen Cove/Clinton Rds. I guess those riders would use the n27 now, but back in the day the N27 barely went to Hempstead.