NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

He want to get copy of NICE Booklet of proposed schedule change/service and express like when it was LIB day, MTA had booklet of list of LIB Service Cut.

Spikecat54, I not sure if NICE provides booklets because on last Nassau County Public Hearing, Veolia did not had booklets for information of NICE plan booklet available for copy.

Well, he should of said that instead of saying "can someone give me a copy with drawings?" He didn't even say please, but thinks everyone is going to do something for him?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know, maybe people want to take the commuter train into the city?

Maybe they don't want to ride a bus although it's cheaper and slower? Traffic could be a bitch, y'know? Maybe they're willing to spend the extra couple of dollars for a one-seat trip to the inner city, maybe they're happy with their train?

He was talking about people using buses to reach the LIRR rather than driving. (Not agreeing or disagreeing. Just clarifying)

As a former semi-regular user of the old LI Bus when i went to CW Post for a semster in 2003, my replies on the proposed changes.

N23-I am confused by this proposal? Does the N23 run to both Mineola and RFM during rush hours? Still IMO, it should still serve Mineola but *not stop at the Mineola LIRR* similar to the N-15. Looks like Veoila is trying to take make dramtic changes in north-south central nassau bus service. This is basically making the N-27 a shuttle. Wonder how Mr. Pine will reply?

During rush hour, it'll stay the same. Off-peak, it looks like all trips will go to Hempstead, and no service will go to Mineola.

And Mr. Pine has left the building :P

In any case, the only other thing I'll comment on is that I think the N43's extension to Hempstead is a good idea (they probably figured that ridership would increase if they combined the N43 trips with the short-turn N16 trips, and N43 riders would benefit).

That makes absolutely no sense, whatever the hell you're talking about.

He wants somebody to print the service changes out (or pick up the booklets at the meeting) and mail them to him.

I don't know if anyone caught it in the video, but N6 LTD service will be eliminated in return for the express trip(s).

That sounds like a pretty dumb move on their part.

They're also creating an N22 express. All stops from Hicksville to the RFM, and then nonstop to Jamaica.

I wonder how the service will be redistributed among the different portions of the route. Maybe regular N22 service will be reduced a bit (because the eastern portion will be covered by the N22L and N22X, and the western portion will be covered by the N22A)

Yea, I saw that. And how come the express buses planned don't go to 165th as well?

I assume Veoila officals felt most of the riders using the new N6X are subway riders. Still IMO i would have added Belmont Park and Elmont Rd. as stops on this new N6x.

As far as the new N22X i could tell either what stops (if any)are made between 179th/Hillside and RFM? And what are the opearting hours (i assume weekday rush hours)for these new N22X and N6x?

I assume Veoila officals felt most of the riders using the new N6X are subway riders. Still IMO i would have added Belmont Park and Elmont Rd. as stops on this new N6x.

As far as the new N22X i could tell either what stops (if any)are made between 179th/Hillside and RFM? And what are the opearting hours (i assume weekday rush hours)for these new N22X and N6x?

The video said that the N22X buses would run rush hours reverse-peak only. It says they're running express, which looks like it means nonstop.

I don't think they mentioned it for the N6, but I assume the hours will be the same as the N6 limited. (Rush hours, both directions)

Conniptions. Conniptions everywhere.

The New n2 & n8 are bascially the same route. Why are they giving the same route different destinations. The only difference is that the n2 goes counterclockwise and the n8 goes clockwise. Joel do you think this n2/n8 will be confusing. The only routes I truly know are the n22,n6, and n19

The New n2 & n8 are bascially the same route. Why are they giving the same route different destinations. The only difference is that the n2 goes counterclockwise and the n8 goes clockwise. Joel do you think this n2/n8 will be confusing. The only routes I truly know are the n22,n6, and n19

I live a stone's throw from the N2 and I can safely say I have never seen any more than five people on that route at any one time, and the N8 doesn't get much ridership along Dutch Broadway anyway considering almost everyone in Elmont drives or knows someone that does. That ride along the city-county border must be fun, though.

This makes the whole system confusing and doesn't make any sense. How is this to fill the budget gap?

To be honest an n8 extension to Hempstead Transit Center would be a good option.I guess no one though of it, but the loop will make nice lose $. Let's say someone will get on the n8 loop at the first stop, they ask for a transfer at Macy's, instead of at the first stop. Then, that person shops for an hour. That person if smart will cross the street to take the n2 loop which will get him to the stop he/she got on. All in less than 2 hours. With the Metrocard transfer, you can use a transfer from one route to another. The problem is that there will be two routes copying each other and these people will spend less money by using the bus loop which will make nice lose money. Comments?

My take on this now...

N79 should go to Roosevelt Field rush hours am for NCC students as a back up for N24. N78 should go to plainview via Manetto Hill road then up Sunnyside Blvd then Down service road to Newton road this will relive am N79 crowding. N16 cutting service is good because its a waste to have when school is not is session with the short turns. Also 22x should go VIA Lie to Glen cove road to go even faster. Which I think will improve service. N6l should still be there to help out the local's. Forgot to mention 79 be 30 mins during the rush opposite peak. The 79 IS A PEAK REVERSE ROUTE. Just be glad the 78/79 still has a direct connection to Hempstead via 48/49. N20 should have been touched middays because the 1pm bus looks packed at Hicksville which is only the first stop! They should have a testing period for mets games to have a 20x to flushing too. My full reaction is to come in May to see how it works for me. This is because I should not have to take 3 buses to go to school at NCC. Also where will the 24 stop be in Hicksville? Will they move the 78/79 stop to where the 20 is? This is just to much to handle!

Well, they're public now...

Route/Schedule Information

Other service changes not mentioned in the PDF's/videos:

-No more N4 short turns

-N17 restoration

-More N25, N40, N41 service

-More early morning westbound N72 service.

-N4 peak headway now 10 min (originally 7.5)

-N6 peak headway now 10 min, Sat 12 min, additional evening service

-N14 time to meet trains

-N15 midday/Sat headway now 20 min (originally 15)

-N19 peak headway now 30-40min, midday/Sat hourly

-N20 peak headway 5-10 min, Saturday 20min

-N21 rush hours only

-N31/32 midday headway 20 min (originally 15)

-N45 rush hours only

-N48/49 midday hourly, Saturday 40min, no Sat N48 service

-N51 no Saturday service

-N55 to Amityville, midday hourly, Saturday 40min

-N62 rush hours only

-N70/71/72 Midday headway 20min, hourly to Babylon

-N74 midday service discontinued, N73/74 peak headway 40min

My thoughts:

-Lots of non-clockface headway schedules. Better hope that there's plenty of paper schedules available!!!

-Why aren't they touching the most expensive routes in the system? (N80/81)? What becomes of the extremely expensive N73 Saturday service? I smell some corruption.

-These minor headway reductions should be fine.

-Paratransit service can't be reduced, so there'll be extra paratransit service for eliminated route segments. How will that be communicated to customers?

1) N17 restoration

2) N6 peak headway now 10 min, Sat 12 min, additional evening service

3) N14 time to meet trains

4) N74 midday service discontinued, N73/74 peak headway 40min

My thoughts:

-Lots of non-clockface headway schedules. Better hope that there's plenty of paper schedules available!!!

-Why aren't they touching the most expensive routes in the system? (N80/81)? What becomes of the extremely expensive N73 Saturday service? I smell some corruption.

-These minor headway reductions should be fine.

-Paratransit service can't be reduced, so there'll be extra paratransit service for eliminated route segments. How will that be communicated to customers?

1) I wonder if they'll reduce N16 service to create the N17 trips. I assume if they didn't mention a headway reduction, it's not going to occur. I assume the N17 will be operating weekdays only like it did before.

2) Considering the N6X is going to bypass all stops between Hempstead and 179th Street, I think it should remain at the current 8 minute headways (but then again, at other parts of rush hour, the N6 has 12 minute headways, so it's an improvement for some passengers, but a reduction for others)

3) Makes sense. The ridership is low, and with 20-25 minute headways, they only need 1 bus on the route rather than 2.

4) Do they mean the combined headway is 40 minutes, or the individual headways are 40 minutes?

And yeah, the N80/81 and Saturday N73 should've seen some reductions as well.

For the 54/55, 73/74, and 48/49, they're referring to COMBINED headways. So that means there are very large headways for those on the branches. And it's not like one could easily walk from one to the other in some cases (N48).

N80/81 probably stayed as is because they serve Massapequa and that's where Peter Schmitt lives. :(

1) I wonder if they'll reduce N16 service to create the N17 trips. I assume if they didn't mention a headway reduction, it's not going to occur. I assume the N17 will be operating weekdays only like it did before.

They're eliminating the N16 short turns between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead.

N80/81 probably stayed as is because they serve Massapequa and that's where Peter Schmitt lives. :(

Who's that?

I live a stone's throw from the N2 and I can safely say I have never seen any more than five people on that route at any one time, and the N8 doesn't get much ridership along Dutch Broadway anyway considering almost everyone in Elmont drives or knows someone that does. That ride along the city-county border must be fun, though.

The N8 also doesn't get much ridership because it runs on hourly headways, and it's not timed to make connections to any of the routes it connects to. It's better to walk to Elmont Road to catch the N1 if you're going to/from Queens. If you're coming from Hempstead you have to time your trip well or you're waiting forever for the N8.

Majority leader of the Nassau Legislature, some see him as Mangano's right hand man.

Oh I see.

Lots of people here at the meeting.

How's it going so far?

For the 54/55, 73/74, and 48/49, they're referring to COMBINED headways. So that means there are very large headways for those on the branches. And it's not like one could easily walk from one to the other in some cases (N48).

I see.

So wait, they're eliminating the N54, right?

They're eliminating the N16 short turns between Roosevelt Field and Hempstead.

But they're using those short-turns to extend the N43 to Hempstead. I guess the eliminated Baldwin service will be used to create the N17 trips.