LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

The Only thing I dont like about Atlantic Teminal is that on weekends the the only branches that go directly there is Hempstead and Far Rockaway. Other than that Atl. Term LIRR platforms are much better looking than the platforms at Penn Station. And the subway turnstiles are right on the platform how convenient is that?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would there ever be a reason that NJT trains needed to run down Metro-North trackage? I ask because on Sunday while I was waiting in my car for my aunt to return from the supermarket near the New Rochelle train station, I saw a set of their cars running up the New Haven Line. At first, I simply thought it was one of the Bombs that usually pop up on the line, but no, it was one of the Comets from NJT. Of course, I couldn't snap a picture of it, though I wish I did, as the train was doing around 50 mph and by the time I pulled out my iPhone, the train had long since passed my vantage point.

Would there ever be a reason that NJT trains needed to run down Metro-North trackage? I ask because on Sunday while I was waiting in my car for my aunt to return from the supermarket near the New Rochelle train station, I saw a set of their cars running up the New Haven Line. At first, I simply thought it was one of the Bombs that usually pop up on the line, but no, it was one of the Comets from NJT....

That train you saw was likley a test train for the Medowlands service.

For Jets/Giants Sunday 1pm Home Games, Metro-North runs a thru-train from New Haven to Secuacus Junction, where customers can transfer for a train to the Meadowlands. The trian runs from New Haven, makes stops along the New Haven Line to New Rochelle, then goes down the Hell Gate line (like Regionals and Acelas) to Penn. From there, it becomes an NJTransit train (usually a Trenton local) and brings the people to Secuacus Junction.

The reason why they use NJT equipment is because that equipment is the only equipment around (except Amtrak's) that can run on all the different voltage and herz frequencies encountered on a trip like that. The M2/4/6/8's can't go south of GATE interlocking near Penn Station, where the voltage changes.

They were running test trains over the weekend in anticipation of the service startup soon.

Metro North is lucky they own the trackage they share with Amtrak.

This past Friday I had to ride a Septa Train to Delaware, well during rush hour a delay happened and a local and express train departed 30th Street within minutes of each other, well we get on the NEC, and guess what? The express track I was on had to crawl at a very slow speed as the local making every stop was DIRECTLY in front of us.

Amtrak dispatches and own the tracks and they wouldn't even let my express train use the express track!

Normally, the Septa express uses the local track anyway as when everything is running smoothly, the express doesn't catch up to a local.

What's crazy is that not one S/B Amtrak Train passed us from the interlocking where Amtrak & Septa Merge to Delaware.

Plus IIRC, Septa trains can make local stops on the express tracks on the NEC as there's wood on the local track so riders can get from the Platform to the train without stepping on the ties & Ballest.

Oh so no more 7 car sets on that run then I guess. Which means 609 is also permanently 6 cars...

There are no non-seasonal diesel trains, other than the DM's to/from NYP, that are scheduled to have more than 6 cars anymore.

If you buy a monthly or a weekly from GCT-Poughkepsie, can you use it for GCT-Croton, or New Hamburg-Beacon?

Yes, a commutation ticket is inclusive (a zone 1-9 ticket can be used on any trip within zones 1 through 9). Any trip to/from zone 10 (Dover Plains & Wassaic) would cost whatever a one way between 9 and 10 is.

Hudson/Harlem line passes are also valid on the New Haven Line, not sure what the equivalency is.

Edited by Amtrak7

I wonder why there are two trains scheduled to arrive at Hicksville within 5 minutes of each other, at 5:24 PM and 5:29 PM. One was an express (or at least made fewer stops and also stopped at Hillside) and the other was a local that arrived SRO. I used the local to get to NHP for the N25 but I had to stand in the vestibule of the car I was in the entire time...

On the other hand, I'm surprised the waiting room is open far later than any station on the South Shore.

I wonder why there are two trains scheduled to arrive at Hicksville within 5 minutes of each other, at 5:24 PM and 5:29 PM. One was an express (or at least made fewer stops and also stopped at Hillside) and the other was a local that arrived SRO. I used the local to get to NHP for the N25 but I had to stand in the vestibule of the car I was in the entire time...

On the other hand, I'm surprised the waiting room is open far later than any station on the South Shore.

They're the last KO and UN trains, respectively, before the rush hour requirement trumps westbound service. The local is usually not insanely crowded when I see it though...

1715 (the local) incurred the most delay incidents (not minutes) of any train in 2011.

Edited by Amtrak7

There were at least a hundred people waiting for the express... the local was already SRO but I was the only one waiting for it on the platform, apparently. What's UN again? It took me a while to get KO for RonKOnkoma...

Huntington. The local has a connection from Pt Jeff that used to continue to Jamaica before 5/2010...it will be restored in 2013.

No one uses the south shore waiting rooms (ground level), everyone goes straight to the platform... maybe there will be 1-2 people in it.

Edited by VWM

No one uses the south shore waiting rooms (ground level), everyone goes straight to the platform... maybe there will be 1-2 people in it.

The Hicksville ticket office and waiting room are relatively well used up to the departure of the 19:23 train to Penn Station (the 70min gap in reverse peak service sees more crowding than the rush hour). After that, the ticket window gets relatively little use and the waiting room will not have more than 7-10 people in it. Most people in it after that hour are waiting for buses or arriving passengers, not for the next train west.

How well used are these ticket offices: Hempstead, Patchogue, Port Jeff? They seem to be awfully low ridership stations for staffed offices 7 days a week.

Edited by Amtrak7

Yes, a commutation ticket is inclusive (a zone 1-9 ticket can be used on any trip within zones 1 through 9). Any trip to/from zone 10 (Dover Plains & Wassaic) would cost whatever a one way between 9 and 10 is.

Hudson/Harlem line passes are also valid on the New Haven Line, not sure what the equivalency is.

Zone 1 to 9 on the Harlem and Hudson Lines will get you to Zone 21 (New Haven Station) on the New Haven Line. In reverse, having a Zone 1 to 21 on the New Haven LIne will only get you as far as Zone 8 (New Hamburg or Appalachian Trail) on the other lines.

Edited by Truckie

Zone 1 to 9 on the Harlem and Hudson Lines will get you to Zone 21 (New Haven Station) on the New Haven Line. In reverse, having a Zone 1 to 21 on the New Haven LIne will only get you as far as Zone 8 (New Hamburg or Appalachian Trail) on the other lines.

So is it just valid where the price of the ticket is the same or greater, or is there a complicated conversion chart?

Edited by Amtrak7

How well used are these ticket offices: Hempstead, Patchogue, Port Jeff? They seem to be awfully low ridership stations for staffed offices 7 days a week.

Hempstead: Major Bus Transfer.

Patchogue: end of the line for most montauk trains.

Port Jeff: trains are still fairly crowded past Smithtown, leading me to think Port Jeff is heavily used.

So is it just valid where the price of the ticket is the same or greater, or is there a complicated conversion chart?

Although that's the basic premise, it's a little more complicated than that when you get the New Haven Line involved for multiple reasons.

First the branches get tricky with the conversion and second is the Bronx stops. Example, if you had a commutation from GCT to Fordham, you could get to any Bronx station on the Harlem or Hudson Lines (Zone 2). Because Zone 2 isn't recognized on the New Haven Line at all, you can't apply it towards a partial ride to Stamford.

However there is a diversion chart that tells us exactly what will get you where.

Additionally, only the monthly and weekly commutation tickets are interchangeable between lines. One way and ten trips you can interchange between the Harlem an Hudson but not to the New Haven.

664 is scheduled for 6 and an 82% load east of Jamaica. 4 would lead to a 123% load, tons of standees.

Actually the 600-609-664-659-672-665 cycle was scheduled to be 5 C3's and a DE for the pick which just ended. Last year it was 6, but that set used to do a trip to Speonk and back instead of the shuttles.

Actually the 600-609-664-659-672-665 cycle was scheduled to be 5 C3's and a DE for the pick which just ended. Last year it was 6, but that set used to do a trip to Speonk and back instead of the shuttles.

I get the ridership books in May and they reflect the consist used in the fall of the previous year, so any changes after that aren't reflected. The scheduled load fits on 5 cars, but its pretty tight. And I was under the impression that rush hour service is never re-blocked except during service cuts, so...

Edited by Amtrak7

The Sept 4, 2012 cycle still has it as 5-DE, with the same rotation as above.

Other changes of note in the new cycle:

Ronkonkoma: 2096 is back! This is the first LIRR train I ever rode, back in 2003!

Babylon: 34, 42, 48, 59, 65, 103, 110, 113 cancelled

Port Jefferson: 619 terminates JSY, 623 terminates Hicksville