Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

How will ridership on tthe (R) be affected now that the (Q) goes to 96th Street and connects to the (F) at Lex-63?

There probably won't be any difference. The only difference is now is that people will be able to transfer much earlier if heading from Queens.

Yes, yellows via 63rd. I didn't know the (R) ever went through there...

There was also the rare (Q) reroutes to 21st Street-Queensbridge. So those tunnels weren't completely unused.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How will ridership on tthe (R) be affected now that the (Q) goes to 96th Street and connects to the (F) at Lex-63?

• The (R) ridership shouldn't change, since riders between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt Ave can't use the (F) as an alternative.
  • I expect the (F) to take on more riders, now that the transfer to 7 Ave Midtown and 2 Ave UES stations is available at Lexington Ave - 63 St. 
  • Crowding on the (E) might marginally decrease since the (F) now has the (Q) transfer.
  • The (6) should be significantly less crowded since riders from 59 St - 96 St have the (Q) as an alternative.
  • The (4)(5) should be slightly less crowded since 86 St riders have the (Q) as an alternative.

Did anyone else make it to the open house yesterday at 96th St station? I went. It looks nice.

There are plenty of photos all over social media. I did take two 360-degree panoramas. If anyone wants to check it out in VR using Google Cardboard, etc. let me know and I can try to share those. 

I didn't see much that was surprising, except for one next-gen "On the Go Travel Station", with large screens and two USB ports. It's like a cross between the current kiosks and the new LinkNYC ones on the sidewalks. 

Of course, they're only showing off 96th because it's the only station that's actually ready. After the open house I walked down to 86th and was shocked at how much work was going on, and how much seemed left to be done in just one week. They're cutting it very, very close with the Jan 1 opening date. 

Did anyone else make it to the open house yesterday at 96th St station? I went. It looks nice.

There are plenty of photos all over social media. I did take two 360-degree panoramas. If anyone wants to check it out in VR using Google Cardboard, etc. let me know and I can try to share those. 

I didn't see much that was surprising, except for one next-gen "On the Go Travel Station", with large screens and two USB ports. It's like a cross between the current kiosks and the new LinkNYC ones on the sidewalks. 

Of course, they're only showing off 96th because it's the only station that's actually ready. After the open house I walked down to 86th and was shocked at how much work was going on, and how much seemed left to be done in just one week. They're cutting it very, very close with the Jan 1 opening date. 

I rode down on the M15 and saw the same thing. 72nd too.

It seems to be the street they're working on, and probably rushed the stations below it.

31822154545_afc6c39beb_k.jpgUntitled by peb me, on Flickr                                     31438178290_c8e1924e0f_k.jpgUntitled by peb me, on Flickr                                    31773437436_e91391c17d_k.jpgUntitled by peb me, on Flickr                                                                                                                                                                                   86 Street First pic and 72 Street the last two Unless the station below is completely finished (they are still testing fire alarms/elevators) hard to imagine this thing will be finish Jan 1

Edited by Mtatransit

Negative. That's for all the officials and leaders.

Ok Thanks that's a little more clear now.

But now this confuses me cause Online it says 6am while here everyone is telling me 11AM

Revenue service will begin at noon on January 1, when the first uptown q.png train to Second Avenue departs from the 57-7 Av station. Trains will run every six minutes during peak hours and will run from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. for the rest of the first week. Overnight service will begin on Monday, January 9.

From Stillwell, the 11AM train has a 11:55am arrival time at 57th Street per Google maps, yet the pre-2nd Avenue PDF timetable has a 1 hour running time from Stillwell to 57th Street on Sundays (and different times altogether).

Let's see what the new PDF timetable will say; new timetables are usually uploaded the Thursday before a new schedule goes into effect.

The news media like to proclaim that the Second Avenue Subway is New York City's largest subway extension in decades. Are they indirectly referring to the three-station debut of the 63rd Street Line on October 29th, 1989? That relatively recent project seems to be of a magnitude commensurate with that of the Second Avenue Subway. I was pondering this when I noticed that the trio of 63rd Street Line stations introduced a rather modern layout that foreshadowed the design of the three Second Avenue Line stations (once the temporary orange tiled walls were demolished, of course). I'd love to see a video of that 1989 opening; I wonder whether the excitement was comparable. Perhaps some of you were around at that time?

The news media like to proclaim that the Second Avenue Subway is New York City's largest subway extension in decades. Are they indirectly referring to the three-station debut of the 63rd Street Line on October 29th, 1989? That relatively recent project seems to be of a magnitude commensurate with that of the Second Avenue Subway. I was pondering this when I noticed that the trio of 63rd Street Line stations introduced a rather modern layout that foreshadowed the design of the three Second Avenue Line stations (once the temporary orange tiled walls were demolished, of course). I'd love to see a video of that 1989 opening; I wonder whether the excitement was comparable. Perhaps some of you were around at that time?

That was the last major extension. With Archer Avenue a few months before that in 1988. I remember when it opened. It was kinda weird with the 63rd because if I remember correctly a lot of the stations were done for quite a few years before they opened. Like Roosevelt Island was pretty much in place in like 1984-86 the system was in a bad place then maybe things got redirected to cars and repairs someone might know a bit more on why. But I think it was a finally type of vibe when they opened it in 1989 kinda what I got from it.. 20 years after they started. 

Here a video on the start of the project.

Edited by RailRunRob

They could've finish the 2 Av Subway first. The 63rd St Line was intended to continue onto the "Queens Super Express Line" which was cancelled, therefore the tunnel ended east of the 21 St Queensbridge Station. The tunnel solved almost nothing regarding crowding on the Queens Blvd Line (minus the V train)

They could've finish the 2 Av Subway first. The 63rd St Line was intended to continue onto the "Queens Super Express Line" which was cancelled, therefore the tunnel ended east of the 21 St Queensbridge Station. The tunnel solved almost nothing regarding crowding on the Queens Blvd Line (minus the V train)

They started the 63rd a few years before they broke ground on the SAS. The Tunnels, for the most part, were done in 1975/76 about the time they canned the SAS. I guess they were too deep in the game to not finish. They started on connecting the 63rd to Queens Blvd short after the line opened. Even tho it was planned for the Bypass. 

Bringing over from Fix & Fortify:

But now you have a underwater crossing and underpinning for two subway lines anyways. And over a mile of buildings and housing that might be a factor with much more things that might go wrong. Seems more of a headache. What's geology for the area in Harlem that's a major factor as well. 63rd and Lex some like a very similar situation can hear the expresses from the Lex rumble pass. Two level under pin They were able to do a 90° as well between that and 72nd. Depth and geology what are the current plans in the current conditions. They've done this before.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Which is why it likely would be considerably cheaper (especially to The Bronx) to do this as an elevated line.  While many will never accept an elevated line, if costs make it clear that's the way to go, then I suspect it would have to be considered. 

Edited by Wallyhorse