Bus Operator Exam 2613 Questions

Hunterxp1

Hello everyone.

I have some questions regarding the upcoming Bus Operator exam 2613. I really would love to be a buss operator for the MTA but my problem is this, I just got my class D drivers licence on January 30, 2012. I know that one of the requirements to get hired is to have a licence for 3 years prior to the date of hire. So if I am to take the exam, can i wait til after the 3 years to start my processing, or will I be disqualified since I just got my licence? I know the test lasts for 4 years so, I really don't want to wait 4 years to take the next test, then wait again to get processed.

One other question, can any one recommend any study materials to help prepare for the exam. From what I have heard, its very competitive so I should start studying soon. Thanks everyone for their info and love you all.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will not be hired if you don't meet the 3 years of driving . What you can do is not accept the appointment offer when your number is called. This can only happen 3 times, then you are removed for good from the list. Personal what i would do is pass on the offerwhen they call, then when ready reinstate yourself on the list when you have the required driving time. This will also give you time to get your CDL permit and if possible your actual CDL. There are study guides which you can get at Barnes and Noble or any other book retailer.

Thanks for the info Noflexdont. I think I would do just that. If they call my number, ill pass and reinstate my name after i meet the requirements. Now I have another question, If I reinstate my name at a later time, will they call me before people with higher list numbers, or will I be the last to be called?

Don't stress it, I was in the same situation when I took the test...and they took 3 years to call me...you have to figure that they aren't going to call right away not to mention it takes about a year anyway to establish the list and then figure another 2 years till they reach your list number.

That correct They will call in the order of list numbers. so lets say your number is 100 but decline the job, 3 years from now there are up to list number 999. They will call 100 first (as long as you reinstate your number) then 999. It does take some time to be called for hiring process. Start studying now for the exam, drive safely, keep your nose clean and no drinking and driving.

Study the NYS CDL Manual. You can pick up a copy for free at your local DMV office, or you can go to your

library. It's going to be interesting to see what changes if any from the previous TA exam(8006) since the MTA

now administers exams. They might raise the bar regarding education and or work experience, that remains to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A few weeks ago I saw a post on Facebook about a 5hr class to be given 1 week before the exam, $60.00.

If you have any questions or are interested, send them an email (mtabusoperatorclass@gmail.com)

Everybody is going to have their own opinion about whether or not taking this crash course will help or not.

The NYCT B/O exam is the hardest out of all the open competitive exams.

• 3 weeks later...

You will not be hired if you don't meet the 3 years of driving . What you can do is not accept the appointment offer when your number is called. This can only happen 3 times, then you are removed for good from the list. Personal what i would do is pass on the offerwhen they call, then when ready reinstate yourself on the list when you have the required driving time. This will also give you time to get your CDL permit and if possible your actual CDL. There are study guides which you can get at Barnes and Noble or any other book retailer.

will they honor your 3 years of driving in another state if you already work for a different transit agency?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any updates on how to prepare for the 2613 test on Jan 12

In my opinion, as we get closer to the exam, just purchase a study guide from Barnes and Noble or any other book store. In lieu of purchasing one, I got one out of my local library and it is helping a lot.

By the way, in studying/preparing for this exam, I noticed that there are several 'places of interest' which were in the study guide/test prep book that I borrowed from Queens Library.

For those who took a similar examination before, do we have to know all of those places of interest? It sounds like a lot...

Guest mtabus92

By the way, in studying/preparing for this exam, I noticed that there are several 'places of interest' which were in the study guide/test prep book that I borrowed from Queens Library.

For those who took a similar examination before, do we have to know all of those places of interest? It sounds like a lot...

Archived