Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

This is too easy, even for an "outsider" like me.

I'll take "Birds that shit on statutes for $200", please Alex ......

LMFAO. [DetSMART45]. And that's Grand Avenue for you. If they knew how to keep up with their service levels. Different story. There are 2 routes at least that needs to be return back to sender. B38 and B47.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What one could do is have a B18 from New Lots (L) (Junius Street) to the VA Hospital---done by East New York. The other one would be 95 Street or 86 Street (R) to Rockaway Parkway (L), retaining the B8 designation---done only by Gleason (this would provide service to Canarsie Plaza and provide the B8 with an eastern end subway connection). Naturally, the B8 would then have all of its run-ons and run-offs from the Bay Ridge end, leaving the B18 to have the short turns from Brownsville to Newkirk from East New York and use Junius Street for run-ons and Pennsylvania Avenue for run-offs. This would likely require a B15 split to work (to free up buses at East New York), as Grand Avenue can have buses added but not East New York (the north split would then go to Grand Avenue). If there is an eastern end subway connection, that could send customers not to Newkirk...and it would really resolve the issue of cross-county deadheading, which can be in excess of 30 minutes if traffic is bad.

Additionally, for the B8, I would propose running it down Ditmas Avenue to Avenue D to reduce running time (leaving the B18 to handle Avenue B traffic). This would also on weekdays handle the Nazareth High School traffic.

So, have the B8's that terminate at VA Hospital run out of ENY & have the (current, full route) B8's extended to Rockaway Pkwy. (L), remaining running out of JG.... I'm not surprised at this, being that branching the B8 & wanting to run it to Canarsie is something you've mentioned on here before.....

Anyway, it's far simpler to keep the B8 intact & have the [Newkirk (2) - Rockaway/Hegeman] short turns operate out of ENY.... I get that you're trying to quell the DH issue on a larger scale, but I think extracting & branching the B8 to do so isn't worth it.... And certainly, neither would splitting operations of the B15 with Grand be worth it..... At that point, I'd rather have all those B8's DH-ing from JG to Rockaway/Hegeman....

The B15 is a weird route as other have mentioned.  Its starts off as a North/South route, then it becomes an east/west route south of Brookdale Hospital.  Its basically two routes combined into one.  The thing is, that the B15 carries along the whole route. I lived along the B15 and have friends that live along the route at various points, that bus stays crowded.  Even late nights, the B15 is sometimes SRO....

1. The route begins at a hospital.

2. Runs through Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights, through some notable housing projects and another hospital.

3. Major transfer points in Ocean Hill and Brownsville,( St. Johns-Ralph and E.N.Y-Ralph).

4. Stopping at a major hospital and transfer points (Brookdale and Rockaway-Hegeman).

5. Two major subway connections in ENY.

6. More notable projects in ENY.

Now with that "mall" opening up at 79-Linden, more passengers will be getting on and off the JFK B15.  I would try artics if possible, before thinking about a limited.  I wouldnt be surprised if the short turn gets extended to that "mall" at 79-Linden....

My question is, as others asked, where would the route split at?  As a former Crown Heights resident, Eastern Parkway-Utica is not doable. Back in the day, B14/17 had their own stand, now its all one stop.  Maybe at the old Williamsburg bound B46 bus stop on the far side of Utica(Mc Donalds). Then return via St.Johns to Ralph and then current route.....

The bus bunching on the B15 is ridiculous and need to be looked at.........

So that's what they built across from that Rite Aid....

I doubt they'd extend the B15 short turn to the county line though..... At best, they'd probably decrease the amt. of short turns & increase the amt. of JFK bound buses (which is something they need to do, regardless of said "mall"), but I don't think they'll even do that (it's not like having buses at Gateway I (gateway mall) extended to serve Gateway II, for example).... They'd be content with the JFK buses garnering that much more usage (past the Pink Houses).....

I doubt they'd extend the B15 short turn to the county line though..... At best, they'd probably decrease the amt. of short turns & increase the amt. of JFK bound buses (which is something they need to do, regardless of said "mall"), but I don't think they'll even do that (it's not like having buses at Gateway I (gateway mall) extended to serve Gateway II, for example).... They'd be content with the JFK buses garnering that much more usage (past the Pink Houses).....

There's a foodtown and whole bunch of other stores already in that area. Surprised there is no bus stop.

How about possibly extending the B14 over to the county line. You already have 4 buses that already service Drew Street/Linden Blvd why not extend 1 to the city line. Lets leave the B15 where it is. But yes, increase the JFK bound buses (as per B35 has stated).

Another thing I've noticed as of late is that B14 & B15 are no longer using Postal Facility, but now are using Linden Blvd/Drew Street/Spring Creek as their destination signs.

Looks like only the B20 goes down Forbell Street, and not the latter 2 buses.

There's a foodtown and whole bunch of other stores already in that area. Surprised there is no bus stop.

How about possibly extending the B14 over to the county line. You already have 4 buses that already service Drew Street/Linden Blvd why not extend 1 to the city line. Lets leave the B15 where it is. But yes, increase the JFK bound buses (as per B35 has stated).

Another thing I've noticed as of late is that B14 & B15 are no longer using Postal Facility, but now are using Linden Blvd/Drew Street/Spring Creek as their destination signs.

I've been clamoring for a B14 extension to Queens (Rockaway Blvd (A)) along with the truncation of the Q7 (to end right w/ the Q112)....

But I can agree w/ sending B14's to that new shopping area, over having them terminate in the Brooklyn GMF..... Only thing is the turnaround over there on Linden/79th; IDK if left turns are permitted from that bus stop (same side of the rite aid) to get to the opposite side of linden blvd (which would be that pre-existing first stop in Brooklyn of a BM5 or a B15).....

Have that happen, there would only be the B13 & the B20 serving the GMF (which is how it should be anyway); most ppl. utilize the B13 in & out of there anyway, from my findings...

(FYI, the B15 no longer serves the GMF - When that cut happened, the B15 shorties ended at Linden/Eldert (in front of the linden plz. apartments); think that was in 2013...... Fast forward a bit, the B15 was recently revised/extended slightly to end at Linden/Drew (last stop is right alongside the movie theatre, Drew st side).... That's why you see the B15 shorties signed as running to Spring Creek - Drew/Linden ;) )......

.....and nah fam, B20's don't use forbell... Nothing does.

Buses get to GMF via Linden > Eldert > Stanley (same as the 13)

The B14 comes down on Drew, then goes Loring > Eldert > Stanley..... Odd that the B14 would be using the Linden/Drew signage though.....

That line runs every 15 minutes overnight, and its still packed. It's one of the lines slated to get artics once ENY gets prepped for artics.

Okay, thanks.  Figured as much.....

Honest I think the best quick fix for the B15 are short turns at (3) Sutter Av-Rutland Rd Station. Instead of having two or three buses playing tag to Bed Stuy One could start at Ralph and East NY.

Lmao @ playing tag.  Its da truth!!!  Actually, in both directions those buses play tag......

Yeah, its similar to the mall on Ralph Ave with the IHOP inside(Georgetown Plaza???).  Like the idea of adding more JFK bound service......

I've been clamoring for a B14 extension to Queens (Rockaway Blvd (A)) along with the truncation of the Q7 (to end right w/ the Q112)....

But I can agree w/ sending B14's to that new shopping area, over having them terminate in the Brooklyn GMF..... Only thing is the turnaround over there on Linden/79th; IDK if left turns are permitted from that bus stop (same side of the rite aid) to get to the opposite side of linden blvd (which would be that pre-existing first stop in Brooklyn of a BM5 or a B15).....

Have that happen, there would only be the B13 & the B20 serving the GMF (which is how it should be anyway); most ppl. utilize the B13 in & out of there anyway, from my findings...

(FYI, the B15 no longer serves the GMF - When that cut happened, the B15 shorties ended at Linden/Eldert (in front of the linden plz. apartments); think that was in 2013...... Fast forward a bit, the B15 was recently revised/extended slightly to end at Linden/Drew (last stop is right alongside the movie theatre, Drew st side).... That's why you see the B15 shorties signed as running to Spring Creek - Drew/Linden ;) )......

.....and nah fam, B20's don't use forbell... Nothing does.

Buses get to GMF via Linden > Eldert > Stanley (same as the 13)

The B14 comes down on Drew, then goes Loring > Eldert > Stanley..... Odd that the B14 would be using the Linden/Drew signage though.....

See my signature  ;) pertaining the B14.  The 13 still goes inside the postal facility?  Wow.... :huh:

If the 14 was to get extended to the 79-Linden, Is it possible that the turnaround can be a similar setup like the B25 at Alabama?

Must have been an old timer, reliving his/her rookie days by using a Spring Creek-Drew St destination sign.... :lol:

A lil off topic, I was driving up Flatbush Ave Saturday afternoon and noticed that is becoming like Brewer Blvd with the dollar van equipment.  When did this start?

Thanks for the response, fellas......

A lil off topic, I was driving up Flatbush Ave Saturday afternoon and noticed that is becoming like Brewer Blvd with the dollar van equipment. When did this start?

Thanks for the response, fellas......

Those vans are so annoying. For one thing they purchase the vans. No type of rehabilitation gets done to them. Most of them are not registered with TLC and yes. Those jitney buses are very simular to Rosedale & Far Rockaway via Brewer. You would think those buses could go to Rockaway Beach, but those residents would go ape s**t.

Once the artics come to Flatbush and Utica. Those jitney buses will not have a place in Brooklyn.

In response to Future ENY Op's question, I believe the B38 is split due to the Metropoltian Av branch being closer to GA itself.

Ahh gotchu S78. I always thought the Metro Avenue was closer to FP. Thanks for clarification.

Grand Av. is in fact closer to the Metropolitan Av. branch, and this is one of the main reasons it was split with Fresh Pond. 

Grand Avenue depot opened to relieve the pressure off the others. They operate local service only and Fresh Pond operates both local and limited service. There is no limited service to or from Metropolitan Av.

He's (AE Moreira) actually right with that.... You would think that since VA Hosp/95th st (R) is closer to Gleason, most trips would begin on that end, but there are a shitload of B8's deadheading on Linden (around 5am when I'm walking to the B12 for instance, there's these 2 B8's that run right behind one another; I tend to see them anywhere b/w troy/linden & albany/linden).... The B8 b/w the (2) & Brownsville is ridiculous - it almost rivals the B35 b/w the (2) & Brownsville (via their respective streets of operation, that is)..... Note the amount of short turn trips during the PM peak emanating at Newkirk (2) due east (shit, I didn't even know there were THAT many...)

All that tells me is that the B8 needs to be split somewhere, all that deadheading (run ons/offs) to/from Brownsville from/to Gleason.... However, demand to/from the VA Hospital from/to as far east as - Brownsville  ;), deters the MTA from doing that.... That's the dilemma.

The only reason they don't split it is because most all the runs that start/end in Flatbush will eventually end up back in Bay Ridge or the VA Hospital. There are 15 weekday Flatbush-Brownsville runs (all PM), yet only 2 Brownsville-Flatbush runs (AM). 

Therefore most times buses only have to deadhead from JG to Flatbush. There would actually be longer deadheads if it was split. Since only 2 shorts turns come out of Brownsville it's not feasible. If there were more than just the 2 runs I would say split with ENY like back in the day.

Grand Av. is in fact closer to the Metropolitan Av. branch, and this is one of the main reasons it was split with Fresh Pond.

Grand Avenue depot opened to relieve the pressure off the others. They operate local service only and Fresh Pond operates both local and limited service. There is no limited service to or from Metropolitan Av.

Duly noted on the split route distance between FP and GA.

Those vans are so annoying. For one thing they purchase the vans. No type of rehabilitation gets done to them. Most of them are not registered with TLC and yes. Those jitney buses are very simular to Rosedale & Far Rockaway via Brewer. You would think those buses could go to Rockaway Beach, but those residents would go ape s**t.

Once the artics come to Flatbush and Utica. Those jitney buses will not have a place in Brooklyn.

Just saw a couple of those jitney vans on Linden Blvd(Q4). So I guess it's becoming the norm....

As was pointed out in another thread, the B25 is being proposed to undergo a terminal change on the eastern end of the route yet again..... On top of it, so is the B12...

Here's a screenshot, taken from http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/160321_1030_Transit.pdf:

8RQlGlT.gif

This is all being done to not have all those riders coming from off of the (J) having to cross ENY av (the B12), and to not have the B25 make that left hand turn from its current terminal [the solid gray rectangle in the diagram] to Fulton st, due westward....

I agree with *something* being done to address that issue, just not THIS plan....

I'll do it like this.....

B12:

B12's layover in one of three places on that end of the route, without fail, and IMO, almost at an equal rate:

- at the current last EB stop [the solid black rectangle in the diagram there]

- in front of ENY Depot [Jamaica av side]

- at the current first WB stop [ENY av/Fulton st<>Herkimer st]

Instead of having B12's meander in this manner, I'm not seeing why the B12 can't have its last pickup stop also be the first pickup stop.... Kick the EB B20 from running on that part of Fulton & have it make the same turn onto Penn (from Jamaica av) that the Q24 & B83 does!! That block of Fulton (b/w Alabama & Georgia) should only have B12's making dropoffs (and what I'm suggesting, pickups as well) along it..... It would remain turning around as it does, and the current WB first stop for the B12 would be the 2nd stop instead....

B25:

The slight extension from B'way Junction to Alabama av (J) I thought would (noticeably) bring in more riders.... I was for it when it happened.... Looks like that increase in level of ridership I thought would happen, isn't going to happen.....

I barely do it anymore, but when I used to take the B12 home after getting off the RR, I have never... and I do mean never see more than 6-7 of people waiting for buses at that stop (the current B25 terminal I'm referring to) - and that's including when a pair of B25's would come at once (likely meaning one of them bad boys was late)..... Also, I have literally never seen anyone get off the B12 to take the B25 (or vice versa); if it happens, it happens on a very very meager scale......

My solution is this:

Instead of having the B25 meander in the fashion suggested in the diagram, cut it back to Broadway Junction (Fulton/Van Sinderen)..... Only difference is the turnaround would go Sackman > Herkimer > Van Sinderen > then back to Fulton.... Current 2nd WB stop (Fulton/Van Sinderen) would be the Last dropoff stop & First pickup stop....

The current 2nd to last EB stop (Fulton/Van Sinderen) would be eliminated.....

If they didn't butcher up Van Sinderen b/w Fulton & Broadway, I would have had the B25 terminate across the street from B'way Junction, simply making a left off Fulton to Van Sinderen..... Where the NB B20 used to stop at (or, where the short turn B20's used to terminate).....

Kinda indifferent about this B12/25 change. Both Sheffield & Georgia get backed up royally due once a car double parks there, and that old folks home on one of the blocks doesn't really help the problem.

Might as well have them go down to Penn, its only 1 extra block.

Kinda indifferent about this B12/25 change. Both Sheffield & Georgia get backed up royally due once a car double parks there, and that old folks home on one of the blocks doesn't really help the problem.

Might as well have them go down to Penn, its only 1 extra block.

I'd like to know what are they going to do with buses that are DH-ing to the depot (from areas south) that use Georgia....

In response to B35: This isn't the first time the B25 had a change in it's terminal?

Nope...

* The B25 used to end at Broadway Junction (Fulton/Van Sinderen, SW corner - on fulton)....

* Then they extended it to where it terminates now (ENY av/Alabama av, SW corner - on ENY av)

* Now this proposal here has it terminating at Alabama av/ENY av - on Alabama av

If you're coming off the (J), you won't have to cross any streets whatsoever to catch the bus with this proposal....  You walk down the steps, then walk around the corner from Fulton (under the el) to Alabama av & catch whichever bus you need (B12 riders benefit far more from this btw)....

The part that benefits the B25 is the elimination of having to make that left turn from ENY av to Broadway (which only buses are allowed to make - at the moment anyway)....

And if you ask me, also, having to jockey for position (the outer lane; the curbside) after making that left from off Fulton to get to ENY av (to terminate in front of the HOtel)..... The propping up of that Golden Krust, Subway (sandwich shop), liquor store, and... something else I can't recall right now, to form a mini-plaza did not help matters.... Sometimes you'll see 3 B25's lined up along the curbside, to where the rear-most bus impedes whatever drivers trying to back out of that mini plaza.... Bear in mind the heavy traffic at that part of ENY av in that direction (where it turns to Jamaica av).....

I get the benefits of the proposal & I agree with them....

The problem is the physical routing buses have to take to terminate on Alabama at ENY..... That's what I'm against..... It's no fault of the MTA, but I'd rather cut the B25 back to B'way Junction than to have it do all of (what you see in the depiction/graphic from the PDF there)........

Edited by B35 via Church

...and not for nothing, but that's a VERY inaccurate depiction of the current B25 routing towards ENY av (the solid gray line).....

Buses do not turn off Fulton at Williams place, en route to get to ENY av.... two reasons:

1) Williams pl is one way northbound....

2) (and more importantly... Lol...)

That routing is PHYSICALLY impossible; the RR tracks and the ENY av underpass prevent that routing from even being able to exist !!!!

Just wanted to point that out....

Carried over from the Governor Cuomo thread.....

Hmm, I'd rather keep the current routes as it is because the students of Family Academy, Van Siclen Middle School, P.S. 273 and Spring Creek Middle School. These schools are one reason why the B83 is on Van Siclen and B20 is on Wortman if not to get to the Boulevard Houses safely without worrying about ones life when gangs are still out in the streets looking to rob someone if the chance is given. The students of Jefferson High School and Maxwell High School that live in the area need these routes coming out of the Boulevard Houses. Don't get me wrong, interesting proposals but you gotta think about kids that care about their education and the way, said proposals, might effect the commutes.... Let's not forget the pink Houses as well.

You don't live in the area of East New York, don't you? I'm just realistic speaking on behalf of the community that I live in.

To answer your question: I live in Staten Island, but I will make a general statement that being from the area doesn't necessarily make somebody an expert, just like somebody from outside the area can come up with a good idea. I've seen the dumbest statements come from residents of my own neighborhood, and I've seen brilliant comments and statements come from people living outside my neighborhood.

From what I've seen on the forums, you seem like a reasonable guy, so let's try to reason this out.

Van Siclen Middle School, J.S.166, and Family Academy would still be served by the B84 along Van Siclen Avenue.

Spring Creek Middle School would be served by the B84. As a matter of fact, it would make that school a lot more accessible for residents of ENY because right now, the only kids who have a one-seat ride are those living along Ashford Street (in the Boulevard Houses and surrounding area, basically). This would allow kids in the Linden Houses, as well as anybody living near Pennsylvania Avenue (which basically goes all the way up to Jamaica Avenue) to have easy access to that school.

P.S.273 basically covers the Boulevard Houses and the immediate area. There should be very few kids traveling from other parts of ENY to get to that school (and the B6 obviously connects the school to the Boulevard Houses). For example, Penn-Wortman & Linden go to P.S.306.

For anybody who does need to go to other parts of ENY, the B84 would be one block south on Flatlands Avenue, instead of one block north on Wortman Avenue (and if anything, it should be a safer walk, since it's further from the Boulevard Houses)

So now the only thing left is the students in the Boulevard Houses traveling to Thomas Jefferson & Maxwell. The ones living right by Ashford & Linden would still be able to take the B20. For the rest, well, maybe the solution is to have it run down Linden instead of New Lots. Just take Linden straight to Pennsylvania and call it a day. The only thing is that riders who take the (3) to the B15 to reach the Pink Houses wouldn't have the option of taking the B20 as well. 

As far as "think of the children", I don't like that style of thinking. If 5 gang members go up to you and try to rob you, it doesn't matter if you're 13 or 23 or 73: You're basically equally screwed. Also, just remember that a lot of people in areas like ENY often work multiple jobs to make ends meet, and so an efficient transit system is important to get them to work quickly and in a timely manner (and from work so they have more time to rest and spend time with their family). With this proposal, they more more frequent service, and more direct service that accomplishes both. Also, I'm sure there's a certain number of teachers at those schools that would like more efficient service to get them to work quicker.

The current 2nd to last EB stop (Fulton/Van Sinderen) would be eliminated.....

If they didn't butcher up Van Sinderen b/w Fulton & Broadway, I would have had the B25 terminate across the street from B'way Junction, simply making a left off Fulton to Van Sinderen..... Where the NB B20 used to stop at (or, where the short turn B20's used to terminate).....

What did the B25 do for the turnaround back when it terminated at Broadway Junction and Van Sinderen was two-way? Did they make the turnaround you're describing (Fulton-Van Sinderen)?

I'd like to know what are they going to do with buses that are DH-ing to the depot (from areas south) that use Georgia....

Probably just instruct the operators to use a different street.

...and not for nothing, but that's a VERY inaccurate depiction of the current B25 routing towards ENY av (the solid gray line).....

Buses do not turn off Fulton at Williams place, en route to get to ENY av.... two reasons:

1) Williams pl is one way northbound....

2) (and more importantly... Lol...)

That routing is PHYSICALLY impossible; the RR tracks and the ENY av underpass prevent that routing from even being able to exist !!!!

Just wanted to point that out....

SMH & LMAO. (**sigh**)

I'm guessing buses take Fulton-ENY-Broadway?

What did the B25 do for the turnaround back when it terminated at Broadway Junction and Van Sinderen was two-way?
Did they make the turnaround you're describing (Fulton-Van Sinderen)?

What I'm suggesting a cutback B25 to B'way Junction do (Sackman > Herkimer > Van Sinderen > then back to Fulton) & what the B25 used to do when it ended at B'way Junction are two different things, so, nope (to your 2nd question)......

To answer the main inquiry, the B25 used to do -

The same exact routing the current route does to get to its terminal & and back... Lol....

(Don't know if it was the case or not, but it could have been one of the reasons the route was extended to Alabama..... Since buses were running down to ENY av to turnaround, they may have figured buses may as well literally terminate in the area)

* BTW: Van Sinderen south of Fulton is still 2-way....

It is Van Sinderen north of Fulton (where the subway entrance is at) they turned 1-way SB.

Those taxi's need to be temp. banned from idling along Van Sinderen right now, it's ridiculous.... It's bad enough it's a 1-way street now, and even worse, the sidewalk has been severely narrowed too; if people are waiting for buses, there's really no space to maneuver (walk) around them, other than going in the street (and hoping a bus isn't approaching you, or blocks you from even walking in the street).... It's a mess over there.... Wish they hurry up & finish whatever they plan on doing with that specific block of Van Sinderen.....

SMH & LMAO. (**sigh**)

I'm guessing buses take Fulton-ENY-Broadway?

Yeah, Fulton (EB) > ENY (to stand) > then Broadway > then back to Fulton (WB).....

Edited by B35 via Church

What I'm suggesting a cutback B25 to B'way Junction do (Sackman > Herkimer > Van Sinderen > then back to Fulton) & what the B25 used to do when it ended at B'way Junction are two different things, so, nope (to your 2nd question)......

To answer the main inquiry, the B25 used to do -

The same exact routing the current route does to get to its terminal & and back... Lol....

(Don't know if it was the case or not, but it could have been one of the reasons the route was extended to Alabama..... Since buses were running down to ENY av to turnaround, they may have figured buses may as well literally terminate in the area)

* BTW: Van Sinderen south of Fulton is still 2-way....

It is Van Sinderen north of Fulton (where the subway entrance is at) they turned 1-way SB.

Those taxi's need to be temp. banned from idling along Van Sinderen right now, it's ridiculous.... It's bad enough it's a 1-way street now, and even worse, the sidewalk has been severely narrowed too; if people are waiting for buses, there's really no space to maneuver (walk) around them, other than going in the street (and hoping a bus isn't approaching you, or blocks you from even walking in the street).... It's a mess over there.... Wish they hurry up & finish whatever they plan on doing with that specific block of Van Sinderen.....

Yeah, Fulton (EB) > ENY (to stand) > then Broadway > then back to Fulton (WB).....

Ironically, they're making the sidewalk larger. Another pedestrian plaza in a sense lol.

As far as the B12/25 terminal by the depot. I expected that was going to happen. I get why they're doing it, but I don't like the turnaround. Unless parking will be removed from Sheffield Avenue, I think that buses should use Pennsylvania Avenue to turnaround. I also hope that they keep the B12 bus stop on the island for the customers coming off the hood shuttles and the Q24/56.....

As far as the combination of the B42/84 that was mentioned in another thread and possibly in an earlier post, the B42 should be left alone. If anything, the B84 should be extended to B17 terminal at Seaview Avenue-East 80th Street on the west. It should be extended to Euclid Avenue subway station on the east.

Edited by SubBus