Banning parking on certain streets to improve bus service.

error46146

One way that I think that bus service can be improved is to ban parking on certain narrow streets that have buses running along it. Just for the rush hour at least. Except for Lexington Ave in Manhattan, imo they need to ban parking there all day.

Any thoughts?

Read: Nostrand Ave between Glenwood Rd and Flatbush Ave, as well as Flatbush Ave (southbound side) between Farragut Rd and Nostrand Ave, and perhaps Flatbush Ave (northbound side) between Ave "H" and Nostrand Ave, as I have said numerous times before..

They need to ban parking and/or better enforce existing parking regulations on some of these blocks outside of rush hours too, though. The only problem is that there need to be places for people to park; this is probably problematic enough already due to the density of those areas.

Although in the process of creating new parking areas (if need be) in order to compensate for lost on-street parking spaces, they probably should not cater to individuals or families which have more than one vehicle. In suburbia, yes. In most areas within NYC, no.

I am curious as to how many families or individuals living in certain neighborhoods within NYC have more than one vehicle. Especially around the Junction and other areas that are well served by transportation.

I would agree with Joel's comment about parking their cars straight up their asses if there were inordinate numbers of individuals or families which have more than one vehicle living in the neighborhoods we are concerned with (Junction and other NYC areas well served by transportation). I know for sure that this has caused parking problems in higher-income NYC areas.

This is a situation that would be helped if transit were better-funded and transit use were incentivized more here, the way it is in Europe and Latin America. Then they could build more physically separated transit ROWs and might not have to worry about things such as parking, which tends to be a petty issue.

I'm split down the middle on this....

I don't agree with banning parking on an entire street to improve bus service..... What I do agree with though, is the banning of a parking spot or two so that turns can be made easier for buses that have to turn onto certain narrow streets.......

They can park their cars straight up their asses. You seriously wouldn't understand the problems buses in Manhattan have because you don't ride them. All you do is take pictures of them.

I've been on a few of the Manhattan buses before, none of em had any difficulty that didn't have to do with traffic in general. Ive been on the M2, M4, M79, M86 to name a few. Again, all you seem to be able to do lately is post stupid pictures or stupid replies instead of offering actual solutions to anything I point out.

I've been on a few of the Manhattan buses before, none of em had any difficulty that didn't have to do with traffic in general. Ive been on the M2, M4, M79, M86 to name a few. Again, all you seem to be able to do lately is post stupid pictures or stupid replies instead of offering actual solutions to anything I point out.

Two out of those four are crosstowns which go down massive four+ lane streets, and the other two are horribly plagued by traffic every single day. You want to see a Manhattan bus having to deal with traffic, take the M8.

But that's just specific stuff, I agree with B35 here, I'm on the fence. My take is that on the smaller streets you wouldn't wanna eliminate parking because the buses there are usually low volume and the parking is necessary for businesses. For larger streets though, it makes a lot of sense to cut out spots. On Flatbush with the dollar vans alone, making the street through-traffic and buses only makes a lot of sense.

One way that I think that bus service can be improved is to ban parking on certain narrow streets that have buses running along it. Just for the rush hour at least. Except for Lexington Ave in Manhattan, imo they need to ban parking there all day.

Any thoughts?

Lexington Av can be a mess too since I use it daily when taking the BxM1. The real issue is double parking on many streets and the yellow taxis fighting for customers blocking up say two lanes of traffic to pick up one person.

I have to say that banning parking is not the way to go. A lot of people would strongly disagree to this. I disagree with it because why would you want to ban street parking just for buses? I may not ride the bus, but banning street parking just seems off limits.

It is an idea with good intentions, but I don't think it is realistic (well in Manhattan....) The thing that causes bus traffic is not parked cars, it is more ppl who don't know how to drive.... Cabs swerving in and out of lanes almost causing accidents, stopping in the middle of the street and picking up ppl on unsafe corners, as well double parkers and delivery trucks are what really cause traffic..

Like they are going to follow them anyway. Look at how the Redish Bus lanes turn out. People still park on the bus lanes. they don't give a sh*t

There are certain times when you can park along the lanes and when you can't.

This enormous amount of anti-car behavior disgusts me.

Stop typing in massive letters, we all get enough of your rants to start with, don't need them screaming any louder.

And it's not anti-car, it's pro-city. I love cars to death but you do what's best for the majority, and parking for one doesn't hold water compared to better service for many.

I don't know if you've realized by now but Manhattan is not the best place to drive a car in. I have nothing against cars, when people are responsible with them and do not cause an obstruction or trouble for others with them.

You're the one knocking public transit every other post. I also don't see the point of mentioning "again" when that's the first time you've said it. You're a shining example of the typical Long Islander, and don't think I haven't seen you berate the buses back home just because they blocked you one day.

In the mean time, I will continue on my merry way while not really giving a **** about the last sentence in that post.

Two out of those four are crosstowns which go down massive four+ lane streets, and the other two are horribly plagued by traffic every single day. You want to see a Manhattan bus having to deal with traffic, take the M8.

But that's just specific stuff, I agree with B35 here, I'm on the fence. My take is that on the smaller streets you wouldn't wanna eliminate parking because the buses there are usually low volume and the parking is necessary for businesses. For larger streets though, it makes a lot of sense to cut out spots. On Flatbush with the dollar vans alone, making the street through-traffic and buses only makes a lot of sense.

Which streets would they ban parking on and at what times, most of em already have temporary bans for that street sweeping crap. Also traffic varies depending on what segment of the street you are on, if its the really busy midtown part and adding an extra thru lane would ease congestion, then i can understand taking away the parking, but if its the more quiet residential part of the street with little shops and stuff then I say let the residents have their parking spaces.

I have nothing against cars, when people are responsible with them and do not cause an obstruction or trouble for others with them.

Not sure what you're talking about here. Nobody, even car guys, support people randomly running over people or crashing into stuff.

You're the one knocking public transit every other post. I also don't see the point of mentioning "again" when that's the first time you've said it. You're a shining example of the typical Long Islander, and don't think I haven't seen you berate the buses back home just because they blocked you one day.

In the mean time, I will continue on my merry way while not really giving a **** about the last sentence in that post.

I let my posts speak for themselves, if all you can say in response is something sarcastic or post stupid graphics, then you're the one with the weak argument, not me.

Please, you run into every topic involving stuff that isn't for motorists... kinda like this and in anything involving transit development or anyone posting something about improving public transit you just go "oh I just get in my crappy corolla and not ride the bus..." Love how you take that thing for granted.

Please, you run into every topic involving stuff that isn't for motorists... kinda like this and in anything involving transit development or anyone posting something about improving public transit you just go "oh I just get in my crappy corolla and not ride the bus..." Love how you take that thing for granted.

my issue is when people propose plans to improve transit that screw over motorists. If you wanna add more tracks to the LIRR, Im on board with that, if you want newer subway trains, im on board with that. But if you add tolls to things for the sake of adding tolls in the sake of improving transit when theres a good chance its not going to actually go to improvements but to the MTA bureaucracy instead, or if you screw with established traffic patterns to provide a small benefit at the expense of more traffic, then I got a problem. As for my car, even if I had some crappy ford or chevy instead of a toyota, I still wouldnt give it up and move to the city to have to deal with the subway and bus on a daily basis. Im quite happy coming in on the weekend and doing my photography. Its a lifestyle CHOICE, something you seem to have a problem with, I got no problem if people wanna take the bus places, i find it a lil odd when its people from good neighborhoods doing it that have cars, but I got no problem with it. What I do got a problem with is people that want to take away other peoples transportation choices, by taxation, by coercion and in some cases by force of law. Me not supporting taking away parking spaces isnt interfering with anyone using the bus or any other bus or subway route. The guy making the topic wasnt even specific on what streets or areas he would remove spaces from, or how many parking spaces he would take out. Me not supporting congestion pricing isnt interfering with anyone's ability to take the bus or subway by all means swipe your metro card and ride the thing up and down as much as you want. Those things do make it difficult for people who do drive in Manhattan for whatever reason or another, and for the record I don't even drive in Manhattan by the way. Even if im not in the city for railfanning I take the LIRR to get there. Mainly because I dont wanna deal with the complex parking rules and whatnot, but if someone wants to drive in, has a reason to drive in, whatever it may be. Im not gunna stop em.

They should really ban parking on Junction Blvd in Queens between the LIE and 57 Av, the traffic on that side is just a complete mess. and im not talking the cars, but the delivery trucks that double park and then buses and cars have to swerve around onto the other side of the street into oncoming traffic to get by.

a few years ago they did something to that street where in the direction towards the LIE they put 2 lanes in the street, and the other way one lane. yes, it improves traffic going to the LIE, but it takes forever trying to get from LIE to 57 Av the other way! the distance between the LIE and 57 is about 1/4 mile, though it takes about 15-20 minutes in the morning just trying to get thru that little section. they should get rid of all the parking on that side, and use the parking lot that they are about to open for the new lobby entrance on Jct Bl. That way there will be 2 lanes on either side, and much better traffic flow. they should also do something for those delivery trucks going into food baazar, since when one of those big trucks pulls in / out it sometimes takes about 10 minutes and blocks the whole street.

this is what the delivery area looks like, sorry if its in vid form I would post a link instead but it doesnt want to do that:

now if only DOT would do something about this...

First there were the two guys from SI; VG8 and Checkmatechamp. Now that that has ended it is up to the"Two guys from LI" Joel Up Front and Lilbluefoxie to take their place.

LOL, one of the main reasons streets are congested is people trying to find parking, banning parking is simply not gonna do. Especially look at Queens and Staten Island, there is less bans on parking in these two boroughs so thus bus moves faster, in Brooklyn, Manhattan and The Bronx, there are congestion because of parking bans, so it's a lose-lose situation here...

Archived