NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

The thing is that now NJT is tight on money. We all know NJT didn't look too good in 2010 with the fare hikes. Another hike in two years would cause a major disaster since people would find alternative routes to work, thus the studies were done to see which lines need the trips that they have or not. Why you guys think they're getting rid of the 75? Eliminate Sunday service on the 181? Reducing service on some lines, but also adding service on lines that need it?

As for the 171/175: That is a smoking gun at the moment. As we speak, the GWBBS is going through a reconstruction, and traffic already going into the GWB is poor due to ANOTHER construction. Thus, time really can't factor in since no one really knows how bad traffic will be, affecting the buses. I was looking at the new schedules coming out in a few days. ALL GWB LINES ARE UPDATED. It's so bad that the B/O only has ONE MINUTE, the second they are SCHEDULED to get in the station to get to the gate. As someone that loved the 188, if I was there, I would pick a new piece in a second. Bad enough all the GWB lines are on NABI's (UGH) but only a minute? Hello, can I pee, wash my hands, and maybe get a cup of coffee before going back out? That is NUTS! Market Street and Meadowlands.......I feel really bad for you guys!

OHH GOD ouch this alone kills off some of my ideas ouch. How badly delayed will they get? ok I do think that the 60 should have been created it would actually make 67 redundant.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think there is a need for bus service between Trenton and the PABT.

It could be an extension of CUSA/Suburban's New Brunswick service, rush hour express only.

Edited by BZGuy

I still think there is a need for bus service between Trenton and the PABT.

It could be an extension of CUSA/Suburban's New Brunswick service, rush hour express only.

Nobody would use it.

i want to see the 406 have express trips via I-295 and Rt 42 in both directions in AM and PM peak to and from Berlin Twp, NJ

woah OK I was thinking it up when talking to an NJT bus planner

i want to see the 406 have express trips via I-295 and Rt 42 in both directions in AM and PM peak to and from Berlin Twp, NJ

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???? That routing takes the 406 miles out of the way.

First, during rush hours, I-295 moves as slow as molasses.

Second, the I-295/NJ42 interchange is ONE HUGE CLUSTERF#CK all G_Damn day.

Third, it would be quicker to dump the passengers off at Woodcrest PATCO and make them take the train.

The best express routing is straight up Rt.70 to Admiral Wilson. Try to bypass Camden at all costs.

That brings me to my idea on Marlton Pike:

406/Philadelphia-Medford Lakes- Buses run local Medford Lakes to Marlton, then limited stops to Camden WRTC [via Rt. 70 and Admiral Wilson Blvd], then into Philly.

436/Camden-Virtua Hosp Voorhees local- All stops from WRTC, via Federal, Marlton Ave and Pike, split routing through Greentree Rd and Marlton Pike, then on Rt. 73 to the new Virtua Hospital Campus.

That's a more logical routing change/idea than the one you suggested.

Edited by MarkD329

Bus service from PABT to Trenton? You might as well have service from PABT to Philadelphia via Trenton and Camden if that's the case.

PABT - New Brunswick - Princeton Junction - Trenton - Philadelphia. This would be a massively profitable local. I guess I should throw in Newark Airport too. Cash machine.

I honestly think that there needs to be another MCI only Garage. Thus, I would first try to repurchase the old Union City Garage on Bergenline, and then place all the NABI's there. 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89, 123, 125, and 126 should be there. I'm sick of this GWB gets NABI crap. Those lines should be MCI and MCI only. The Meadowlands would have the 121, 122, 123, 124, 126, 127, 128, 129, 137, 139, 166, 167, 181, 188, 190, 319, 320, 329, 351, and 353.

B/O's have problems getting up the hill on P.P. Road due to bad traffic, for example the 85. In this instance, the B/O do more reliefs and save time with deadheads. For example, 83, 84, 85, 86: all of them can relief by just going to the garage. 83 & 85 going to Secaucus/Hackensack can just make a right on Bergenline, Left on 28th, switch drivers, Left on New York Ave, and resume the route. Going to Jersey City/Hoboken, the B/O can relief the driver back on 32nd and Bergenline or 31st Street Bus Stop, near the Domino's, and resume the normal route.

84/86 can relieve by just going to the normal route to Jersey City and wait for the driver on the 29th and Bergenline Ave Stop. To Union City, drivers can be relieved by stopping on 29th and New York Ave. No car needed, a small walk, saving gas, and save time with reliefs and deadheads.

Meadowlands should be a MCI garage. The 137 Express should be added since it's pretty much half of the 319 trip. 139 should be for emergencies only. 123 should be there for rush hour trips only, getting as many people as possible on the bus. 72 passengers on a D4500 vs 57 on a NABI. If they don't want the bus because of the lack of a back door, boohoo. I'll bet more people would get on the 45 than worry about some damn back door.

PABT - New Brunswick - Princeton Junction - Trenton - Philadelphia. This would be a massively profitable local. I guess I should throw in Newark Airport too. Cash machine.

If that's the case, they can take the train. I saw the number of times I took Greyhound that people wanted to get to Philly more than New Brunswick. Just make it where the prime major cities are utilized where NJT knows passengers will come and where there won't be any overcrowding. Either that or make two legs: 301X: Philly/Trenton Express via Trenton, 301 Philly/Trenton via New Brunswick, Princeton Junction

I honestly think that there needs to be another MCI only Garage. Thus, I would first try to repurchase the old Union City Garage on Bergenline, and then place all the NABI's there. 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89, 123, 125, and 126 should be there. I'm sick of this GWB gets NABI crap. Those lines should be MCI and MCI only. The Meadowlands would have the 121, 122, 123, 124, 126, 127, 128, 129, 137, 139, 166, 167, 181, 188, 190, 319, 320, 329, 351, and 353.

B/O's have problems getting up the hill on P.P. Road due to bad traffic, for example the 85. In this instance, the B/O do more reliefs and save time with deadheads. For example, 83, 84, 85, 86: all of them can relief by just going to the garage. 83 & 85 going to Secaucus/Hackensack can just make a right on Bergenline, Left on 28th, switch drivers, Left on New York Ave, and resume the route. Going to Jersey City/Hoboken, the B/O can relief the driver back on 32nd and Bergenline or 31st Street Bus Stop, near the Domino's, and resume the normal route.

84/86 can relieve by just going to the normal route to Jersey City and wait for the driver on the 29th and Bergenline Ave Stop. To Union City, drivers can be relieved by stopping on 29th and New York Ave. No car needed, a small walk, saving gas, and save time with reliefs and deadheads.

Meadowlands should be a MCI garage. The 137 Express should be added since it's pretty much half of the 319 trip. 139 should be for emergencies only. 123 should be there for rush hour trips only, getting as many people as possible on the bus. 72 passengers on a D4500 vs 57 on a NABI. If they don't want the bus because of the lack of a back door, boohoo. I'll bet more people would get on the 45 than worry about some damn back door.

They need to have Garage for local bus like 83,84.85 and others and i agree with that . I'm not sure they could repurchase back the old garage becuase some of the equipment are Union City's DPW, Police and School buses. Deadheading back to Penhorn is nerve racking unless there is somewhere closer like Union City. Your right on the back door thing it is annyoing and people are so rude they say i quote from bowles of the back bus "BACK DOOOR!...or BAAACK DUUUR!" trust me more of that comes from Bergenline where i rode and hear more times of that. Seriously just walk in front you got legs hell i do it from the back to front door and say thank you to them. Oh fyi if the B/O dont open up back they just wave the folks to front and some of the get pissy. I wonder if they can build a garage somewhere unless there is big space somewhere in Hudson county

....You might as well have service from PABT to Philadelphia via Trenton and Camden if that's the case.

That would most likely yield less usage than what BZguy is suggesting.....

Either that or make two legs: 301X: Philly/Trenton Express via Trenton, 301 Philly/Trenton via New Brunswick, Princeton Junction

if you take philly out of the equation, that's what I think BZ is alluding to... the latter part anyway....

I'm surprised those chinese bus companies haven't tried something like that....

Edited by B35 via Church

The main reason why I am proposing a PABT-Trenton line is because NJT is maxed out on the NEC....plus they only run a couple of those so called "expresses". If the schedule from the Port could show a time equal to (or under) the time that it takes the NEC to get to Trenton, I could see those buses doing well. I was just looking at rush hr buses but what Joel and SJP suggested could end up making that line a all day line

The AM/PM Peak would see mostly 301X's with a couple of locals thrown in. Midday and Evening would see regular 301s with maybe a X thrown in every 2hours.....I could even see late night service due to the NEC stops at 1am

How long do those buses take to get to New Brunswick from PABT ?

It looks like they give them about 1hr 15 minutes to get from the PABT to New Brunswick via East Brunswick. Mapquest shows 35 mins to get from New Brunswick to Trenton via Route 1. So your looking at 1hr 50mins total...which is comparable to the train.

Now mapquest says it's 1hr 20mins express from the PABT to the Trenton Transit Center, again comparable to the train. But given the lack of express service on NJT Rail, I still this that bus would be a money maker.

Ppl are dying for a route between Trenton & PABT! A chance to get off that slow ass NEC would be nothing more then a cash cow. Anyone going south to Camden & Philly, i would just create a 409 Exp. no one wants to sit on the riverline end to end.

As for the 406 exp lol that wont work. Easiest soloution would be to convert Marlton Pike in a BRT. Its too many stops, and the traffic is bad enough. Sending it down 295 would be insane the interchange at 42/76/676 is a zoo on its best days and during rush hour you sit at a stand still. Hell on sundays 42 from route 55 to the 676/76 interchange is a mess. They recently made 42 6 lanes both directions from deptford@route 55 to 295 and that AINT HELP!

For some interstate routes in Northern NJ

1. Add some outbound, off-peak, and weekend express service.

- Many times, going into NYC during off peak, and weekend is a major pain in the rear. Adding some express service would be nice for off peak travelers. (some suggested routes are 156R,159R,166T,165T,177X, and maybe 190X)

2. New artics on some lines

- Some lines need artic buses, not NABIs or D4000's (hint hint 126,123). I don't know whats been keeping NJT from getting at least few more artics to serve during rush hours in high volume routes...

thats all I have for now...

For some interstate routes in Northern NJ

1. Add some outbound, off-peak, and weekend express service.

- Many times, going into NYC during off peak, and weekend is a major pain in the rear. Adding some express service would be nice for off peak travelers. (some suggested routes are 156R,159R,166T,165T,177X, and maybe 190X)

2. New artics on some lines

- Some lines need artic buses, not NABIs or D4000's (hint hint 126,123). I don't know whats been keeping NJT from getting at least few more artics to serve during rush hours in high volume routes...

thats all I have for now...

There used to be 156R's on Saturdays but there wasn't really any people coming in. The 123 on an Artic would be great but the main problem would be turns, mainly ALL the turns. From NY: the turn from 31st and Palisades is not a easy one since the turning radius is closer, so you might hit that sign on the left side. Then turning the bus around by turning R on Jefferson, L on Baldwin, L on Beacon, L on Palisades is NOT easy. You have double parked cars on Baldwin, and it is VERY tight. To NY: Congress and Palisades, turning to the HBLR station, that is not a easy turn too since you have cars, deadheading buses, live buses coming from those directions. You have to get out of the way or cars have to move so you can get through. And, unless you place the 123 on another gate like the 200 gates where the gate will fit an articulated bus, not a chance. 126 can do it and should do it, but again, they need to move that bus to a different gate to be able to do it, which they can't at this time.

The main reason why I am proposing a PABT-Trenton line is because NJT is maxed out on the NEC....plus they only run a couple of those so called "expresses". If the schedule from the Port could show a time equal to (or under) the time that it takes the NEC to get to Trenton, I could see those buses doing well. I was just looking at rush hr buses but what Joel and SJP suggested could end up making that line a all day line

The AM/PM Peak would see mostly 301X's with a couple of locals thrown in. Midday and Evening would see regular 301s with maybe a X thrown in every 2hours.....I could even see late night service due to the NEC stops at 1am

The only reason it won't work is because if there is major traffic on the highways, it might take MORE time on a bus than taking the train. Another reason why Christie F'ed up when he canned ARC. NEC could of benefit with more service in and out of NYPENN

You can give NEC a service increase & that thing would still crawl its way from trenton to NY-Penn....

I'm not a dream killer but unless you show me a way where bus transit will be fast with no difficulties with getting to Trenton/NY with all the BS that is traffic, especially with all the extra traffic on the crossings lately, I don't see it happening. Service Increase? Last time I checked, NJT lost $400 mill thanks to the Gov. That $400 would of covered the extra buses needed, the drivers, training, as well as extra trains that are going to and from the destinations. Where is the money coming from to do this? If this was to happen and a service increase, how much you wanna bet: FARE HIKE?

I'm not a dream killer but unless you show me a way where bus transit will be fast with no difficulties with getting to Trenton/NY with all the BS that is traffic, especially with all the extra traffic on the crossings lately, I don't see it happening.

...that argument can be made for extending any route.

Service Increase? Last time I checked, NJT lost $400 mill thanks to the Gov. That $400 would of covered the extra buses needed, the drivers, training, as well as extra trains that are going to and from the destinations. Where is the money coming from to do this? If this was to happen and a service increase, how much you wanna bet: FARE HIKE?

Whoa, hold on.... I'm not advocating for any service increase on the NEC.....

You were the one that said:

"NEC could of benefit with more service in and out of NYPENN"

...and that is what I was addressing in that last post of mine

It looks like they give them about 1hr 15 minutes to get from the PABT to New Brunswick via East Brunswick. Mapquest shows 35 mins to get from New Brunswick to Trenton via Route 1. So your looking at 1hr 50mins total...which is comparable to the train.

Now mapquest says it's 1hr 20mins express from the PABT to the Trenton Transit Center, again comparable to the train. But given the lack of express service on NJT Rail, I still this that bus would be a money maker.

I may agree with sirjolka on this one you may be better off just adding trains. BUT I agree with this routing and it may give this line a different purpose than originally intended. They are many business parks along route 1 so ppl may use the bus line for that and connections with 655 may give it a different ridership base. other than ny to trenton. However I dont think they would dare create a bus that would compete with NEC Most people will NOT use it. Duplicate lines in NJT don't do well look at their history 333 redbank to newark and 330 both failed and current ones aren't so hot either 873 cough 873. 884 even though it had off peak service trains were more frequent. Plus Huntrrdon's LINK took ppl from the RVL stations to business parks.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???? That routing takes the 406 miles out of the way.

First, during rush hours, I-295 moves as slow as molasses.

Second, the I-295/NJ42 interchange is ONE HUGE CLUSTERF#CK all G_Damn day.

Third, it would be quicker to dump the passengers off at Woodcrest PATCO and make them take the train.

The best express routing is straight up Rt.70 to Admiral Wilson. Try to bypass Camden at all costs.

That brings me to my idea on Marlton Pike:

406/Philadelphia-Medford Lakes- Buses run local Medford Lakes to Marlton, then limited stops to Camden WRTC [via Rt. 70 and Admiral Wilson Blvd], then into Philly.

436/Camden-Virtua Hosp Voorhees local- All stops from WRTC, via Federal, Marlton Ave and Pike, split routing through Greentree Rd and Marlton Pike, then on Rt. 73 to the new Virtua Hospital Campus.

That's a more logical routing change/idea than the one you suggested.

very good idea but I don't think new jersey transit will go for it this creates 2 full time routes do you think new ridership can makeup for it