New York City Subway Fantasy Map: Summer 2012

Tokkemon

And here it is. Every summer I've made a Fantasy Map of the New York City Subway. This is this year's edition: Summer 2012.

You may download the map on my website here:

http://justintokke.c...Summer 2012.pdf

The process for creating the map was to have traced the landscape, parks, and major roads and existing subways based on USGS maps. Then I added more lines and stations etc. If you notice any mistakes please point them out so I can fix them!

A brief synopsis of the new services and lines. Please refer to the Service Guide on the map for more info.

New Trunk Lines (all underground):

2nd Avenue: ( T ) (U) Four Tracks. Follows the original 3rd Ave El in the Bronx. Connects to the Culver Line via Chrystie St.

5th Avenue: (X) (SX) Three Tracks south of 60th St, Two Tracks North. Crosses to Randals Island via 125th St then to Astoria Blvd. Merges onto Canal St then to the Nassau St Line, then under East River by Broad St and Atlantic Ave (Brooklyn) then splits to Fulton St and Culver Lines.

9th Avenue (Y) ( Z ) Four Tracks. Starts as Union Turnpike Line with two tracks until Commonwealth Blvd, then Four Tracks all the way to Manhattan. Merges with Queens Blvd Line then crosses under Astoria via Broadway and 86 St in Manhattan. Merges with West St Line right before Chambers St. Goes under Montegue St tunnel and splits into Red Hook ( Z ) and Myrtle Ave (Y). Myrtle Ave line follows former El but with wider station spacing.

12 Avenue/West Street ( 7 ) (8) (9 )(10). Four Tracks. Branches off of IRT Broadway line on Upper West Side as two tracks. 42 St Line extension merges with (10) creating Four Tracks along West Street all the way to South Ferry.

Othe New Lines/Extensions in Manhattan:

Worth Street Line: (E) Two tracks underground. Inspired by IND Second System. Turns east under Worth Street to East Broadway connecting with Houston St Line (F) to go under East River.

Houston Street: (F) Two tracks underground. Inspired by IND Second System. Short extension and tunnel to Williamsburg.

BMT 63 St Line: (P) ( Q ) Two tracks underground. Reactivated.

125 Street Line: (10) (X) Two tracks underground. Connects upper Manhattan crosstown.

14 St Extension: ( L ) ( M )Two tracks to 20th St - Chelsea Piers.

New Lines in Outer Boroughs:

Bronx:

3rd Ave Line ( T ) (U) following former 3rd Ave El; underground throughout. Four Tracks. Branches off to Boston Rd and E Gun Hill Rd. joining with IND Concourse Line extension as Two tracks each.

Lexington Avenue Line (Bronx): (10) Two tracks, underground until Castle Hill Rd, then Elevated. Goes from Throgs Neck and joins to 125 St.

Brooklyn:

Red Hook Line: (Z) Two Tracks. Underground.

Myrtle Avenue: (Y) Two Tracks. Connects with existing Myrtle Ave El. Elevated after Carlton St.

14 Avenue ( G ) ( H ) ( T ) (SX). Four Tracks. Splits off of Culver Line at Church Ave south on 14 Ave, then along 86 St and 5 Ave to Bay Ridge - 95 St. Contains five tracks at 62 St for Super-Express. This is the application for the hypothetical super-express idea I proposed, continuing along the Culver Line with the (SX) skipping 7 Ave.

86St/Avenue U: Two Tracks, elevated. (G) Splits off of 14 Ave east and connects with BMT West End line, then along Ave U connecting with (L). Provides connections to several Southern Brooklyn lines.

Ocean Pkwy Line: (L) Two tracks, elevated. Short line splitting from Ave U to Brighton Beach.

IND Bushwick Ave /Utica Ave Line: (E)(F) Four tracks, underground. Inspired by IND Second System. Provides direct connections to Midtown Manhattan for Southeast Brooklyn.

Franklin Ave Crosstown: ( H ) Two tracks, underground. Takes former Franklin Ave shuttle and connects it to (G) Crosstown and 14 Ave Line.

IRT Nostrand Avenue/Flatbush Avenue Extensions: (2)(3) Two tracks each, underground. Connects with Utica Ave Line and Ave U Line.

BMT Canarsie Line Extension: (L) Two tracks, elevated. Connects Canarsie to southern Brooklyn along Ralph Ave and Ave U.

BMT Jamaica Ave Express Tracks: (J) Two tracks along Jamaica Ave, elevated. Provides a cleaner express on the line with true four track service. Some rebuilding of the existing line will be required.

Queens:

Metropolitan Ave Line: ( M ) Two tracks, elevated until Jamaica Ave, the connecting with Archer Ave Line.

Central Queens Crosstown Line: ( H ) Two tracks, underground until Metropolitan Ave, then elevated. Follows Grand Ave, then along Junction Blvd to LaGuardia Airport.

Woodhaven Blvd/Rockaway Line: ( W ) Splits off of Junction Blvd along Woodhaven Blvd then to former LIRR Rockaway Line ROW to Far Rockaway.

IND Linden Blvd Extension: (A)(C). Four Tracks until Merrick Blvd, then two tracks to Francis Lewis Blvd; underground until Lincoln St, then elevated. Inspired by IND Second System (and mystery 76 St Station). Continues from Euclid under Pitkin Ave, then Linden Blvd.

Liberty Blvd Extension: (X) ( J ). Two tracks elevated. Archer Ave ( J ) connects before Merrick Blvd.

IND Hillside Ave Extension: (F). Three tracks underground.

Union Turnpike Line: ( Y ) ( Z ), Four Tracks elevated. See 9th Ave Line.

Long Island Expressway Line: (10) Two Tracks elevated. Connects with 42 St Tunnels.

Northern Blvd Line: (V) Two Tracks, underground; Elevated after Parsons Blvd. Connects with Flushing Line.

College Pt Line: (7) Two Tracks elevated. Connects with Willets Pt Blvd then Flushing Line.

Willets Pt Blvd Line/Bell Blvd Line: (8) Three tracks elevated. Connects with Flushing Line.

Astoria Blvd Line: (X) Two tracks elevated. Connects with Flushing Line. Over (or under) Triboro Bridge to Randals Island and 125 St.

21 St/Ditmars Blvd Line: ( N ) (P) ( Q ) Four Tracks underground. Connects with Astoria El at 31 St.

Staten Island:

SIR West Line: (M SIR) Two Tracks Elevated/At Grade. Reactivated North Line then south on Richmond Ave.

Narrows Tunnel: ( T ) (SX) Two Tracks. Splits off of Hylan Blvd to Brooklyn joining to Bay Ridge. Underground after Clifton.

I hope I didn't leave anything out.

Comments and Questions are welcome! Enjoy!

Interesting... I swear I can see a lot of similarities in Queens to a map I made a while back/ (Your lower manhattan may need an inset)

http://browse.devian...213768#/d4izbt1

also, replacing major branches of today with completely new lines is definitely a twist on things, like totally sacking the (M).

My Scoring system is from 1-5

with 1 being the worst and 5 the best.

My Review: The B Division

(A)(C) to Jamaica/Cambria Heights 4.6

yes, it is a large unserved area, but taking the (A) off Rockaway is iffy in my head.

(E)(F) to Kings Plaza via Utica 5

well done. Taking the (F) off Culver is not easy, and you pulled it off. Largely unserved area and gives an alternative to midtown to former (M) riders.

(B)(D)(T)(U) 4.5

It's a good idea. Unserved Area. But the (D)(T) are very long lines as is. It would put more people on the (D)(T) at Gun Hill Because it's Express.

(M) replaced by (Y) 4.1

Yes, it still serves midtown, but I think many people are happy with the current (M)/(V) combo. Many people will likely transfer to the (F) at Myrtle.

(F)(V) in Queens 5

Queens needs to be served more. Hands-down 5. However, would the (F) serve 63rd Late Nights or not to replace the (V)?

(G)(H)(W) 5

Yes. A new Crosstown(s) is good for queens, and the (W) could relieve congestion on Woodhaven Boulevard, and Dyker heights is a transport Wasteland...

(J)(K) 3

Um... No. The (J)/(Z) skip-stop is there for a reason. If you make the (J) express it will uneven the loads and, well, you've heard it all before.

(L)(M)4.8

The only reason it's not a 5 is because i'm iffy about sacking the (M)

(N)(P)(Q) 4.6

I'm not sure what 2 Astoria Branches will do, but LaGuardia is a good extention.

(S) Rockaway 5

yes. to counteract no (A) you hhad to do this, and this is something that we want today.

(T)3.9

Like the idea of SI, but It could kill many express bus routes and it could crushload the (T) before Brooklyn. Dyker Heights is a good idea, though. Four lines on Dyker might be overkill. Turn the (H) at Church.

(U) 5

Good job on Replacing the (F) and still having adequate transfers.

(SX) 4.7

This is the only SI-Manhattan Route I would Retain because it is super express.

However, because it stunts at 59th, it gets no 5.

(X) 4

Large amounts of queens served, but kind of a copycat in Brooklyn to the (A)

(Y)(Z)4.9

Again, sacking the (M) is iffy with me, but the (Y)(Z) are stellar elsewise.

I hope you don't mind if I make some comments on the realisticness of the lines...

The SAS should have at least four lines, IMO.

There's no way there is enough space in the ground to terminate all those lines at South Ferry.

The LGA idea is novel, but will never happen. Also, with 9th Avenue & West Ave subways, unless it's double decked, don't even think about A & B division lines sharing track.

Anyway, I'll go into my own rating system, but to give myself some leeway, I'll go 1-10.

B Division:

A, C: 8.5/10

Constructing the line out via 120th Street is excellent, but you should turn the (C) somewhere before Francis Lewis. It's way too long. Other than that, you would have gotten a 10.

B: 8/10

Full time (B) service still isn't necessary, so I deducted a point there. Also, Co-Op City might not want that much service, because there are a number of NIMBY's up there. Other than that, good job.

D: 9/10

Same thing with north Bronx NIMBY's, but otherwise, perfect.

E: 6/10

I can see where you can come from extending the (E), and frankly, I'd do it to with my fantasy plans, but this is going to seriously screw QB riders. I always thought Utica should have an arrangement like the (A) & (C). Also, Church Avenue should be an express stop. That's crucial for ridership.

F: 4/10

Same gripes with (E), and I also have a serious problem with moving it from Culver because it has so much potential there.

G/H: 9.5/10

Almost perfect, except they might be a bit long for local routes.

J: 8.5/10

I don't agree with extending it past Jamaica Center, because trains could get there crush loaded already. Other than that, the Jamaica Av express is good, but it should mirror at least one Fulton Street stop.

K: 10/10

Perfect. That's all.

L: 2/10

It would have gotten a higher score, but the Bay Ridge branch is railroad track, a subway line will never run there. Also, I hope you don't plan on rebuilding all of Rockaway Parkway Station. Not to mention, it's way too long. I'm just not feeling it...

M: 9/10

Needs a skip stop service. That's my only gripe. I also hope 14th Street get's rebuilt as at least a 3 tracked line.

N/P/Q: 7/10

I'm doing these together b/c I have no real problems with the routing except in Astoria. That's a no go. You'll have to come in from the Flushing end, those NIMBY's want no subway in their area. It's annoying, but it's true.

R:

Since there's no change, no score!

S:

No score for either.

T: 4/10

As VWM said, having it go to St. George is a major mistake. The SX is enough. Terminate it on Culver. Dyker Heights only needs one line.

U: 4/10

Because of my previous thoughts on the (F), I give this line a low score... this line, to be frank, isn't necessary. I'll explain why later.

X: 5/10

I have mixed feelings about this line, I think it should have more express segments, but I also think it should be local in Brooklyn to help out the (C). This is where the half score comes from.

Y: 0/10

One does not simply sack a very succesfull line to create a newer, longer line, fantasy or not. I just can't give this line a good score for that.

Z: 7/10

I want to see a line out to Ikea as much as the next person, but because of the canal, and highways in the area, it can't happen.

3rd Avenue should be serviced by A Division lines because connections to White Plains exist, and one can create a new line to 7th Avenue with it. The (T) & (U) should use Concourse. The (U) isn't necessary because a line to Utica should exist, not a line to Culver.

A Division:

1:

No change, no score.

2: 9/10

NIMBY's in Sheepshead Bay. That's all.

3: 5/10

Great route, but no yard access. Big problem right there. Lenox could be upgraded, but that's still not enough space...

As a side note, I like what you did there with the Lex Line trains & the 7th Avenue trains. Let me say:

The Livonia line shouldn't be extended. The (5) should terminate at Utica Avenue, and the (4) should go to New Lots Avenue. Also, things should remain how they are so both lines get service to Lex & 7th. Now:

4: 6/10

Too long. No subway service is needed there.

5: 6/10

Same gripe as 4.

6: 9/10

Should stay at Pelham Bay Park. That's my only problem.

7/8: 7/10

Y U NO KEEP EXPRESS SERVICE? That's my only problem. The 7 should have an express variant, and the (8) should have an express variant.

9: 6/10

The line should be serviced by B Division trains because you should expect a high amount of crowds coming in...

10: 9/10

I like the Bronx portion, but it shouldn't go farther than Zerga Avenue because of Throgs Neck NIMBY's.

SIR:

SX: 10/10

*wild seal claps of approval*

M:

No change.

W: 8/10

Ok, but should have light rail connection to NJ as well.

That's all...

I see a problem with your express/local setup. For example, who's going to get on the (Z) local if the (Y) express is right across the platform? I think you're going to have uneven loading. How about a setup where the (Y) serves the stops farthest from Manhattan and skips the closer ones; the (Z) local only serves the closer stops.

Just to clarify one thing that may have been overlooked. The (SX) is ONLY a rush hour peak-direction service. That is why the (T) goes to Staten Island, to cover for when the (SX) is not going there.

Just to clarify one thing that may have been overlooked. The (SX) is ONLY a rush hour peak-direction service. That is why the (T) goes to Staten Island, to cover for when the (SX) is not going there.

Is still think that the (SX) should only go there, even if it's only peak direction.

It shouldn't be then, it should be full time. The (T) will get way too crowded before Brooklyn.

The theory, of course, is having double service during Rush Hours will compensate for potential crush loading at those times. And the one service is faster than the ferry, so it entices people to use that.

The theory, of course, is having double service during Rush Hours will compensate for potential crush loading at those times. And the one service is faster than the ferry, so it entices people to use that.

Here's how I would do things:

Have (F) continue to run on Culver, with (T) terminating at Avenue X.

New (H) & (I) lines running via 2nd Avenue are created.

(G) serves Dyker Heights.

I have my own fantasy plan, but I have no idea how to make a map of it...

The line that's elevated along Ave U is not logical. Living along Ave U, making an elevated to pass above the Culver and the Brighton in that type of neighborhood, ugh, will cause some mishaps for the community.

Map was constructed nicely though.

My A Division Review (Out of 5):

(1)4

This is FANTASY!!! Why is there no (9)?

(2)4.9

NIMBYs. All else is good.

(3)3

Potential flaw. What would serve the Flatbush Avenue branch Nights? A Shuttle?

(4) / (5)3.5

Kind of Parallels the (A).

(4) / <4>4

The first Bronx Crosstown, yet is very similar to the (B)(D)(T)(U)

(6)2.4

You have the BxM7.

(7) / (8) 4.7

The (8) is kind of Roundabout, that's all.

(9)3.5

unserved Corridor, yes. but It doesn't make many stops south of QBL.

(10) 5

Archived