The Official SPEED Thread

Howdy, folks. Here's the thread that's all about SPEED--discussing train speeds, telling stories of fast trains we've been on, and posting videos showing the speed at which a train is going. People should feel free to post videos of trains and I or someone else can figure out how fast they are. Hopefully this thread will be a success; I'll start it off with this:

First R142 2 Train: 49 MPH

Second R142 2 Train: 35 MPH

No flaming, please... :)

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool. I'm always pleasantly surprised with the s/b 4 Av Express from Atlantic Av to 36 St. No one says it's very fast, but my R68 (D) train yesterday was really hauling! The timers coming into 36 St are annoying. Are they to keep people from overrunning 36 St at 40+ MPH and derailing on the switch for the West End line?. Or to protect the crossover switch to the local track? Still, the timers don't start until you pass 25 St, and those early timers aren't too slow. It's a good run, IMO.

Still, nothing compares to the n/b 50 MPH express :).

Actually, the R160s are designed for up to 55 mph. I think once I was on one that reached 56, but I don't recall the line or area.

Go PM him, or if you don't have that little envelope icon at the top of any page, I could always do it for you upon request.

Edited by Brightonkid7

A little-known secret about the A-Division. Fastest express run? Gun Hill-White Plains to E180 going S/B on the middle track. It's all downhill, and you won't encounter a timer until Pelham Parkway. A good T/O can keep it going at 50+ for just about the entire run, at least until you enter E180's homeball alley. You all owe it to yourself to ride this the next time there's a GO.

Edited by Snowblock

A little-known secret about the A-Division. Fastest express run? Gun Hill-White Plains to E180 going S/B on the middle track. It's all downhill, and you won't encounter a timer until Pelham Parkway. A good T/O can keep it going at 50+ for just about the entire run, at least until you enter E180's homeball alley. You all owe it to yourself to ride this the next time there's a GO.

Wow, I've seen the tracks on Google Earth and I always thought it would be fast, but I had no idea that it would be THAT fast.

Nobody says much of the southbound Lexington Av Express from 125 to 86 St. I know that n/b can reach 49 MPH, but this s/b R142A reaches 47-48, I think: (go to 4:45 for the fast part)

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZBFhS_bcY4&feature=related[/media]

EDIT: I posted the wrong video before. I just fixed it. Thanks, Brightonkid7.

Edited by TheSubwayStation

Wow, I've seen the tracks on Google Earth and I always thought it would be fast, but I had no idea that it would be THAT fast.

Nobody says much of the southbound Lexington Av Express from 125 to 86 St. I know that n/b can reach 49 MPH, but this s/b R142A reaches 47-48, I think: (go to 4:45 for the fast part)

[media=]

[/media]

Wrong video, man! This is the 00:27 one!

Edited by Brightonkid7

That's cool. I'm always pleasantly surprised with the s/b 4 Av Express from Atlantic Av to 36 St. No one says it's very fast, but my R68 (D) train yesterday was really hauling! The timers coming into 36 St are annoying. Are they to keep people from overrunning 36 St at 40+ MPH and derailing on the switch for the West End line?. Or to protect the crossover switch to the local track? Still, the timers don't start until you pass 25 St, and those early timers aren't too slow. It's a good run, IMO.

Still, nothing compares to the n/b 50 MPH express :).

I agree with you too. The timers on the 4th av express are really annoying. The only part on the 4th av line with no timers is the southbound express from 36st to 59st. The (N) trains entering 59st southbound hit 40mph entering the station.

I agree with you too. The timers on the 4th av express are really annoying. The only part on the 4th av line with no timers is the southbound express from 36st to 59st. The (N) trains entering 59st southbound hit 40mph entering the station.

I don't mind that there are timers; they just start too early IMO. I mean, they can still protect the switches at 36 St s/b without starting the timers all the way back at 25 St. Although I don't think those timers were put in as a result of post-crash paranoia; they were already there before the Union Sq and Williamsburg Bridge incidents as far as I know.

these are great speed that i remember .

(4)(5) train express from 125 street to grand central and vice versa. the only thing is the 59 street on express track causes too many slow down because once it start speeding then you need to slow and stop.. everywhere is like you have to hang on real hard or you get knock down.we all can understand the slow down when they are approaching the 42 street grand terminal because of sharp curves. The other part that is great express speed is between 42 street grand central to 14 street. Of course we all understand they need to slow down near 14 street because of that sharp curves.

(2)(3) had a great express between 14 street and 34 street. with 3 stops in the middle is like you zap right thru that you can miss seeing that stop. Also the other street is 42 to 72 street with swaying that will knock you down

(B)(N) on 4 ave have great speed between Atlantic Avenue and 59 street. The reason why i say (B) is because during that time the (B)(N) had to slow down once they reach halfway thru 25 street. It been like that for years. Lately when i need to go thru that area i noticed that train is now slowing down at prospect park. Another great speed is Union Street to 9Street. You can feel the wind in tunnel as they try to climb the hill. Another speed is (R) train between 59 Street and Bay ridge Avenue. That train really pick up speed once all 8 cars clear the s curve. I am sure it would be call the s curve because after they leave station is was like a hard push to the left so they can save spaces in tunnel or i think there a storage room there.

This one may seem odd in speed is at 9th avenue and Fort Hamliton Parkway. With a big S curves. the (B) back then sped out of 9th ave to come around the curve and zap over to the other curves. Once they reach the other curve it was little fast but then they had to hit the brake for that red light. Once it was clear they gun it to the end of the station of Fort Hamiliton Parkway. In other direction they was a little slow to the first curves then get the clear signal and gun to the other curves and brakes a little then resume speed into the 9th Avenue station. Also it the tunnel area between the 36 street and 9Th avenue. When train heading to 36 street it always a drag. But the train heading to 9th ave seem to have faster speed till the train reach top of the first grade hill. This is where the yard track meet the revenue track.

The reason why i say (B) is because during that time the (B)(N) had to slow down once they reach halfway thru 25 street. It been like that for years. Lately when i need to go thru that area i noticed that train is now slowing down at prospect park.

(I assume that you mean Prospect Av.) I was on a southbound 4 Av Express the other day and it definitely did not slow down until 25 St. Maybe there was congestion when you were riding it.

Surprised no one mentioned this, On the Express stretch between Church avenue and Newkirk Plaza , the 160s can hit up to 53 mph before flying into the station. Not sure about the 68s but they can hit up the mid 40s in that section.

yeah, that's true. I remember on a (Q) G.O. train, it hit about 54 mph between Kings Hwy and Newkirk Plz.

The (E) & (F) b/w Continental & Roosevelt Avs easily hit 50+ at Woodhaven Bl.

I love the howling noise that you hear from inside the train...

I think it's more like 45 MPH. Still, pretty a great run IMO. I thought that Roosevelt Av - Queens Plaza/21 St-Queensbridge was faster.

yeah, that's true. I remember on a (Q) G.O. train, it hit about 54 mph between Kings Hwy and Newkirk Plz.

REALLY? Wow. Were you looking at the speedometer?