MTA Mulls restoring Service Cuts??? *Subway Comments Only Please*

RTOMan

image.jpg

"The MTA may restore some of the bus, subway and commuter train service it cut to close budget gaps two years ago, authorities said.

“We’re evaluating all of our options and alternatives,” Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman Joseph Lhota said Wednesday. “I’m not sure we have the financial stability to bring back all of our services that were cut in 2010, but we’re evaluating it right now.”

MTA staff will present the board with the preliminary 2012 budget next month. Board members Allan Cappelli and Mitchell Pally have been urging the authority to establish a $20 million fund to pay for more service as the agency heads see fit.

“I just need to understand the stability of our financial situation, understand that first, and then we will evaluate what we can do on behalf of all of our customers.” Lhota said. “You don’t want to have a situation where you put it back, take it of, put it back, take it off.”

A transit source said the review wasn’t just for show.

“It’s real,” the source said of some possible service restorations. “Not all of it but enough that it would be felt.”

The MTA faced a $900 million budget gap when it imposed the cuts, which included elimination of 20 local and 12 express bus routes. Another dozen local and express bus routes disappeared on weekends.

The authority also halted service in the V and W subway lines and reconfigured four others.

Annual savings from bus and subway cuts combined total nearly $68 million.

The financial crisis emerged when tax revenues dedicated to transit nosedived during the recession. The state grabbed some transit-dedicated tax revenues to plug its budget holes.

Lhota made his comments after a monthly board meeting where several speakers came out in support of bringing back the B77 to Red Hook, Brooklyn. While the B61 bus — another Red Hook line — survived, ridership has soared so much buses regularly are too crowded to board.

“I have to walk 20 blocks to the subway,” Robert Berrios, 44, a clerk from Red Hook, said.

Transport Workers Union Local 100 organizer J.P. Patafio gave the MTA petitions with 1,500 signatures calling for the B77s return."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-mulls-restoring-bus-subway-commuter-train-service-cuts-article-1.1103354#ixzz1z74pGtAy

Lets see where this goes.....

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

Ironically, this comes up two years to the date that the 2010 service cuts were implemented. Coincidence? I think not.

Will they need 1983 GMC RTS buses to restore those bus route cuts? LOL

Seriously - love that old photo!

Yeah, I thought that photo was a nice touch as well, esp considering the fact that I live that area and how different it looks compared to today.

And of course the bus itself! A GMC RTS! :D

Do they have enough subway cars and buses left to bring back the cancelled routes?

I for one welcome the restored LIRR service that was cut if they are planning on restoring that too, im not sure if they were only refering to the city transit.

Hopefully weekend/overnight Bx34 bus service will be restored...

On the subway side, methinks the (W) will eventually return (though I'd say restoration of 8-min weekend headways on the lettered lines is more prudent, given continued subway ridership increases and resulting crowding...)

This is more what I think would be considered, service bumps on existing services instead of a mirror or pre-2012 services. Already parts of the canceled services has returned in my area through community fight.

Its funny when someone mentions "service restoration" the first thing they can think is of new lines/routes. I'm surposed RC didn't go all the way and not just ask for a (W) for Brooklyn, but also ask for the (M) on QB on weekends, and the (C)(5) to midnite (allowing the (A) to remain express a couple hours longer), and the reduced headways on the existing weekend services and restoration of the most painful of bus cuts.

Hey a reminder guys! Please lets stick to talking only about the subway doomsday cuts and chance some of them might be restored.

For bus comments here link so please go here.

http://www.nyctransi...ts-and-changes/

On subway the (V) is not coming back at least in it's Pre-2010 form. Also I doubt the (G) to QB Local service is returning either. On possible restortaions I can picture the (W) returning but only as a weekday only 6am-8pm line and no late evening service Monday-Friday.

Also I can see the (R) and (C) also be extended as a service increase running their full routes to about 1230am-1am over currently ending by 11pm.

Just my takes.

The (V) is no need. The (M) is perfect the way it is! A lot of folks are using the route, gives Jamaica EL customers Midtown access and etc. I give it [+1].

The (W) I would see coming back. I'd even send it down to the West End Line to supplement the (R) and (D).

The (G) to CTL, maybe that should also be restored to the list.

The (G) to CTL maybe on the weekend. There will be no (V) as is currently understood here. The only thing i realistically see doing is now that FASTRACK has saved them money on work (including cutting work train T/O and flagging C/R jobs) is restoring pre-cut weekend headways with the reduced weekend flagging already on some lines. I think they will look at longer running hours for the (5) and (C), but I don't think anything will be done about that. Its one thing to add a few weekend jobs per line as its only one day (and reduce again the amount of S/S days off for employees), its quite another to add a few weekday jobs as part of later running hours, as those are 5x as expensive as weekend ones.

With that said, I have heard various of suggestions saying the late evening service is not needed except Friday and Saturday nights for the nightlife scene. They can do something about that on Saturday (which has already been done, for example with more frequent weekday headways on the (6) Saturday evenings than Sunday evenings, and could be expanded to other lines with the ridership to support that), but if they do it on Friday, they must do it every day of the week. Temp jobs are a waste of money as now you're paying several crews 8 hours to do nothing but sit there until they have to make intervals late evening (similar to baseball specials). No, you cant add trips to regular crews jobs as the job must be the same each weekday as per CBA.

they are bringing alot of buses that were cut for example th M66 bus if its still there then no

The M66 never got cut......

And again, keep this thread Subway, as started above.

For bus go here:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/35670-today-62712is-2nd-anniversary-of-the-doomsday-bus-cuts-and-changes/

Do they have enough subway cars and buses left to bring back the cancelled routes?

I know they have enough subway cars to return the routes. The (V), (W), and (Mx) were running an almost entire R160 fleet at their time, and the cars that were from those lines went to other lines. It may require increasing headways on the (Q), (N), and (F) about 1 minute, though.

Ironically, this comes up two years to the date that the 2010 service cuts were implemented. Coincidence? I think not.

That's actually pretty ironic!

One more word:

(V) and (W)! You only went to hibernate!

This will yield some fine railfan media when it is, if it is, restored.

Great! Maybe they can finally bring back the (W) and have it solve the current problems along the Fourth Avenue Line.

For the 1,000th time, the (W) WILL NOT GO ON 4th AVE, I explained why, the (W) shares tracks with the (R) most of its route, It won't help.

okay let me break it down:

the Brown M will NOT comeback, the (J) to 9th ave has a very strong possibility of happening or a Banker Special aka the Brown <R>

as for the fleet, the (Q) took most of the (W)'s R160's 10 train sets when it was extend to Astoria, the (W) can comeback and return to whitehall st while the (Q) goes back to 57th st 7th ave

The (J) to 9th Ave can also happen, they have a suplus of R32's and R42's, 12 R42's stored in CI yard (the ones that were taken OOS in 2009 from the (R)) and a total of 12 R32's that can be brought back (8 at Fresh Pond, 10 at 38th st (work motors) and 2-4 cars that are just stored) and when the R32 SMS is done that would decrese the spare factor for the (C), those surplus cars can also be used on the (J)/(Z) along with the R42's

The (R) can loose those 5 extra train sets that were added in 2010 and make their way to the (F) to bump off more R160's to CI for the (W) (for Spares) or send the R46's to the (A) ether way to make room for the extra (J)'s

the (V) has no chance of returning, The (M) is gaining ridership

Also this would give the chance of an R42 SMS (they aren't gonna have a choice the cars need it badly)

as for the Buses they can bring back just about any route since there a ton of buses that are stored in Eastchester and other various lots and depots.

The only subway route I see returning, should MTA elect to do so, is the (W) . They can simply revert the (Q) to 57/7 all times and run the (N) express in Manhattan again weekdays (with the stop at 49 St) to free up cars for the (W) .

I have no idea whether or not MTA will pursue a (J) to 9th Ave...

...and as for the (M), it's a smash-hit ridership-wise. No way MTA axes the new alignment. If anything, ridership increases may make a strong case for running the full route on weekends, should funding become available.

Well I hope they do not touch the (M) train because service is so much higher. The V train's never really got crowded unless the F train was suspended or delayed. I wouldn't mind the Q74 being back at least I can get to my friends house faster. :P

the (J) to 9th ave has a very strong possibility of happening

That might mess up the (D) timetable, as they will need to constantly punch for lineup and move the switch to terminate on the middle track, which can cause some delays. In addition to THAT, there may be a long delay to clear the 36 Street and 9th Avenue switches. However, they can store trains on the center track at Fort Hamilton Parkway for rush hours. Just my two cents. :)

Refer to below for 36 Street area track map.

detail-9thave.png

Archived