•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -

Brooklynites Moving to Manhattan in Search of Cheap Rents

• Please log in to reply
    41 replies to this topic

#21 realizm

realizm
    • Banned
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 8,258 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Blame the hipsters.

Agreed, it's those damn hipsters trying to invade our beloved New York City.

Edited by Realizm 2012, 31 July 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#22 SoSpectacular

SoSpectacular
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 3,149 posts
    • LocationQueens, New York

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

I recently took a civil service exam for motor vehicle operator, there's no way I'd move out of this city, plus it's ridiculously boring out there with no [little] civilization
    TTMG Media Crew Member

http://www.flickr.co.../aclauzel/sets/ Flickr Pro Member

#23 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 20,406 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Same here... I moved to Riverdale because it offers a suburban setting with "urban" transportation if you will that is conveniently close by to walk to. It is easy to reach the city and I have no need for a car, which was exactly why I left Staten Island. On Staten Island, it's part of the city, but at the same so not part of the city, not to mention people getting their cars banged out and the crappy roads. Moving to Westchester I would be stuck with just MetroNorth and I would probably have to break down and get a car too. I just find it too much of a hassle. I've always liked living the way I live now. It was the same in Europe too. I could walk to my classes or just about anywhere in the city even though I was a 20 minute walk from Downtown, but still sort of outside of the city center if you will by European suburban standards anyway.

BxM18-RIVERDALE_zps0a9279a4.gif

LUSSEMBURGO, LUSSEMBURGO

#24 Shortline Bus

Shortline Bus
    • Banned
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 13,992 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Same here... I moved to Riverdale because it offers a suburban setting with "urban" transportation if you will that is conveniently close by to walk to. It is easy to reach the city and I have no need for a car, which was exactly why I left Staten Island. On Staten Island, it's part of the city, but at the same so not part of the city, not to mention people getting their cars banged out and the crappy roads. Moving to Westchester I would be stuck with just MetroNorth and I would probably have to break down and get a car too. I just find it too much of a hassle. I've always liked living the way I live now. It was the same in Europe too. I could walk to my classes or just about anywhere in the city even though I was a 20 minute walk from Downtown, but still sort of outside of the city center if you will by European suburban standards anyway.

VG8 i could never picture anywhere else in america which is the car captial of the world. Not LA, Not SF Bay area, Not Chicago, or Miami lol. Not even to visit for a few days.
    Not a knock just proves how some new yorkers never leave or move because despite their many flaws the (MTA) has among the best mass transit on the planet.

#25 B35 via Church

B35 via Church
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 10,808 posts
    • LocationEast Flatbush, Brooklyn, NY

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:09 PM

Blame the hipsters.

True, but yuppies also factor into it..... the combination of the two (indirectly) done caused rents & mortgages to go through the roof in certain parts of the borough...... More demand for these areas, the more the prices go up..... This is also done to keep much of the "riff raff" out of residing in said areas.....

#26 Shortline Bus

Shortline Bus
    • Banned
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 13,992 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

Agreed, it's those damn hipsters trying to invade our beloved New York City.

News flash. Hipsters are in every big city in america.

#27 GojiMet86

GojiMet86
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 7,919 posts
    • LocationAstoria, Queens

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:57 PM

I personally don't mind hipsters and yuppies, unless they hold me at gunpoint or rob me or something like that, which I very much doubt they'll do.

You can subscribe to my Youtube Channel at http://www.youtube.com/GojiMet86 and check my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/47904859@N08/.

#28 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 20,406 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

VG8 i could never picture anywhere else in america which is the car captial of the world. Not LA, Not SF Bay area, Not Chicago, or Miami lol. Not even to visit for a few days.
    Not a knock just proves how some new yorkers never leave or move because despite their many flaws the (MTA) has among the best mass transit on the planet.

Well like I said, whereever I've been I've usually just been able to walk wherever I need to go and if necessary jump on public transit. Moving to Staten Island was the first time that I didn't really have that and it was frustrating at times but I moved there sort of out of the blue if you will, so I didn't pick that set up. Anytime I've chosen where I've lived my set up has been like it is now, even if I've lived in a more "suburban" setting if you will.

BxM18-RIVERDALE_zps0a9279a4.gif

LUSSEMBURGO, LUSSEMBURGO

#29 Tokkemon

Tokkemon
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,650 posts
    • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

I personally don't mind hipsters and yuppies, unless they hold me at gunpoint or rob me or something like that, which I very much doubt they'll do.

Nah, they're all anti-gun and whatnot.

#30 CenSin

CenSin
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 2,757 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

They're in Chinatown too. The only thing that's Chinese about Chinatown now are the local businesses and passerbys.

When 20% live up to a stereotype, they ruin it for the 80% who don't. Or are the percentages the other way around?

Legal Disclaimer: The NYC Transit Forums website is strictly for informational and entertainment purposes.
    This website is no way connected or affiliated with the MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) or any other related transportation agency.
    It also claims no rights to the trademarks of MTA, NJT, Amtrak and any other listed transportation agency logo on this website.