Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

MTA NYCT hard hats colors:

Red= Infrastructure

Green= Stations

Dark Blue= Car Equipment

Orange= Rapid Transit Operations

Light Blue= Track

Grey= Electrical

Lime Green= EMD or Technology Services

White= Supervisors, Managers, or anyone important

Yellow= Signals

Edited by INDman

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to HR, today, the have filled up all vacancies for the may 18th class. Last person hired was 261

This is the latest list # update. Since the May 18th class is full, my prediction is that this number will stay the same until a new class is needed.

Also, I will not be calling DCAS for any updates since they say that the last list # certified is 775, which is incorrect. Once it's official from HR that the last person hired is close to this number, then I will start calling DCAS for updates and post them.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Can anyone chime in on things not to do during probation

a) Be late or not show up for work (since attendance is very important)

b) Do any type of drugs (because if they do a random drug test, and they find something, you're fired)

c) Spread yourself too thin between work and other activities

This is all I can think of so far for this position...

Once you're hired, if you happen to get a ticket, it's none of Transit's business. The only time you have to report to Transit is if NYPD takes your fingerprints. When that happens, it means you've been placed under arrest. You must report to Transit of you've been arrested before they find out on their own. I got arrested three times while employed for Transit. Make that four times. On two occasions, I took a chance and didn't report an arrest. But I was arrested by the Feds, and I made the safe assumption that Transit didn't cross reference their records with the Feds. I was correct. My other unreported arrest came by way of the NYPD. I used to have a bad habit of smoking marijuana outside in public or in my car. I got caught, cops took me to the precinct, fingerprinted me, wrote me a summons and let me go. Three days later, I was suspended and sent to drug rehab for the next six months. They even had me upstate at some in-patient facility for the last month of my punishment. Although it wasn't like that when I first started working for Transit, some arrest will have you immediately suspended until your case is resolved. Domestic violence cases and drugs will get you suspended pretty much immediately, unless you happen to get popped for drugs and pass the subsequent piss test. That never happens.

Im not sure if this was answered before, but does anyone know what hours the shifts are if you get hired? Also can you work part time or is it only full time? Im asking because I was thinking of going back to college but if I was called up before I finished I would want to do this job too in case I still can't get a good job after college.

Well day 2 is done. First 2 days of orientation was about things you should not do in the work place,meeting people (union,etc.) and benefits and a few other things. Day 1 get your id/metro card (its a metro card with your pic and info). The medical,vision,dental for all plans (4 plans = 2 BC/BS and 2 UH ) except 1 is free for you and family. You get other things you can select (life,disablitiy,etc)  for a bi-weekly cost. Payday looks to be on thursdays. You get 12 sick days a year and can carry them over. Vacation you cant carry over (BOOOOO). They say you will most likely be working nights for the first few years. Dont think you can work part time. 3rd day will should be getting shoes

Well day 2 is done. First 2 days of orientation was about things you should not do in the work place,meeting people (union,etc.) and benefits and a few other things. Day 1 get your id/metro card (its a metro card with your pic and info). The medical,vision,dental for all plans (4 plans = 2 BC/BS and 2 UH ) except 1 is free for you and family. You get other things you can select (life,disablitiy,etc)  for a bi-weekly cost. Payday looks to be on thursdays. You get 12 sick days a year and can carry them over. Vacation you cant carry over (BOOOOO). They say you will most likely be working nights for the first few years. Dont think you can work part time. 3rd day will should be getting shoes

Kool! Thanks for the feedback!

According to (http://media.ny1.com/media/2014/7/7/video/subway_track_training_14809921.mp4), you have to first take a course in Track Safety before going down onto the actual tracks. Any word about that?

Well day 2 is done. First 2 days of orientation was about things you should not do in the work place,meeting people (union,etc.) and benefits and a few other things. Day 1 get your id/metro card (its a metro card with your pic and info). The medical,vision,dental for all plans (4 plans = 2 BC/BS and 2 UH ) except 1 is free for you and family. You get other things you can select (life,disablitiy,etc) for a bi-weekly cost. Payday looks to be on thursdays. You get 12 sick days a year and can carry them over. Vacation you cant carry over (BOOOOO). They say you will most likely be working nights for the first few years. Dont think you can work part time. 3rd day will should be getting shoes

Wow thanks for the information.

Get yourself an MCU account with direct deposit ASAP. Your payday will be at least one day earlier if not two. Plus there are many benefits available to Transit employees with MCU accounts.

I agree about direct deposit, but I'm cautious about opening any account with a credit union compared to a bank. I would review the Pros and Cons before you make a final decision on that. Example: Credit unions are not FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation) insured, but most banks are.

They said training is for 6 weeks. First 3 is in south brooklyn (3rd to last stop on D train) then the last 3 weeks might either be in bronx or brooklyn (on hands training). They say you will learn how to use some tools (rail saw,chainsaw,etc.) and need to pass. Then after the six week they will call back (to brooklyn) a group of people (1/3 of class ( class is 45 people )) for 9 days of flagging and you MUST pass flagging (100% ). Was giving two pairs of boots (free) from lehigh safety shoes. They are about 3 pounds each shoe (not the pair but each boot) and they are not comfortable (might try gel insoles or super feet). You dont need to dress up for class but no sneakers. We will be going for a respirator fitting 1 week and they said if you have a beard you WILL need to shave it off (the respirator needs to seal around your face) unless you can prove its for religious reasons (you can grow it back after fitting and chose never to use the mask). The class is over ( i think june 26 ).

They will test you by watching you use the items (they show you how), dont think its difficult as long as you can start a chainsaw (always from ground and not drop pull) and pick it up and use it. Flagging they say you must get a 100 on that otherwise they wont let you on the tracks. Wave hands or light left to right to sign stop to a train and up and down to say go ahead for the train. So far (it only been first week) it dont seem like its a hard job but its not a job to slack on cause you can get yourself or others hurt or killed.

...Flagging they say you must get a 100 on that otherwise they wont let you on the tracks. Wave hands or light left to right to sign stop to a train and up and down to say go ahead for the train...

...Interesting...I wonder if the flagging they are talking about is similar to http://transportworkersunited.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/rulesbook-TA-OA.pdf, found in pages 106 to 136 of the 'book', while it's pages 119 to 149 of the PDF document...

Thanks again for the information!!

What I've gathered so far for people still on the list. Training classes (45 trainees each) last 6 weeks. There seems to be a 2 month gap between the end of one class and the start of the next. 1st class was Feb 2; 2nd class was May 18th. I'm not good at math so the next class would start on or about...???