Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

First, I would like to say thanks to all that posted in this thread, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to become a member because of you guys (bravo). Can anyone explain why getting a CDL might be lucrative as a track worker? What jobs are available for people coming in with CDL's? Also if one were to lose the CDL priveledge will you be fired, or just demoted back to regular track worker?

First,  on behalf of myself and the other staff members, welcome!

Second, from what I read, after your initial probationary period is over, you have the chance of applying to specialized jobs within the Track Department such as crane operator, truck driver, etc. For the truck driver position, if you have a CDL, you would qualify to drive the the company's trucks as needed. You would need a Class A CDL for the tractor-trailers pictured here and here. You would need a Class B CDL for the trucks pictured here (to the left of the crane), herehere and here (with the proper Hazmat endorsement if necessary).

If you folks want more information on how to obtain a CDL, click here to go to the DMV's website.

Depending on where you live, how much free time you have, etc., I would suggest to take a walk past Linden Yard, which is located not that far from the intersection of Linden Blvd. and Rockaway Avenue in Brooklyn (you can take the (L) to New Lots Ave and walk). From walking past this facility as a pedestrian and looking in, you are able to see in person the various types of trucks they have. I am unsure if there is any other facility in which they not only park the vehicles, but you're able to see them from a non-employee's perspective.

What do you mean by losing your CDL privilege? I have a CDL myself, and unless something major happens, such as you leave the scene of an accident, you hit a pedestrian which results in their death, you get caught drinking and driving, etc., chances are you will not lose your privilege. I am not yet an employee of the MTA, however, my educated guess is that if you do lose your privilege, depending on how many years you have in, you could retire or get demoted back to becoming a regular track worker.

Hope this helps and once again, welcome!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know the number they use to contact you for the physical?

Is it a 212 or 718 number? I took the drug test on sept 28th and Im currently waiting for the call and dont want to miss it.

I took the drug test on 9/28 myself, I don't think anyone from our batch was called in for medical processing yet. Just keep calling DCAS weekly, because once they place us back on an " outstanding certification " it means the ball is rolling for the next class.

Edited by SteveNYC

First, I would like to say thanks to all that posted in this thread, I've been lurking for awhile and decided to become a member because of you guys (bravo). Can anyone explain why getting a CDL might be lucrative as a track worker? What jobs are available for people coming in with CDL's? Also if one were to lose the CDL priveledge will you be fired, or just demoted back to regular track worker?

All jobs are picked by seniority.

If you happen to have a CDL coming in and at the pick there is job requiring one when it's your turn to pick you are eligible to pick the job and would not not have to go thru the extra training in obtaining a CDL.

If there are Track workers ahead of you and jobs requiring a CDL are available and they pick them the Transit authority works with them in getting the CDL. The've 30 days to qualify and if they do not are placed into any available Track worker job regardless of location and hours.

The only real benefit to coming in with a CDL is that you already have it and the experience in driving. I've seen guys go from Track to fleet operations (18 wheelers and larger trucks) that just can't drive and get placed back into a regular Track worker position.

If you lose your CDL your still a Track worker. Should you pick a driving job without your CDL you would have to go thru the schooling again to obtain it and qualify. You don't get fired.

(718) 694-1000.when you see this # pick up asap.

Great. Thank you

I took the drug test on 9/28 myself, I don't think anyone from our batch was called in for medical processing yet. Just keep calling DCAS weekly, because once they place us back on an " outstanding certification " it means the ball is rolling for the next class.

Great. Thank you

Going in for my 3rd night in the tubes and it is nothing like they said it would be trains coming flying by you so that hype is some b@ullsh$t. The guys that flag on the gang I'm in won't let a train through unless he sees we are all off the track. The trains come about evey 15-20 min and they go slow very slow past you with plenty of time to set up move tools everything. Everyone is mad cool we def have a good time it's not like the training yard when only one or two things are goin on and slow, these guys move and jerries are swinging nutrunner is going rail slotter runnin everything and it moves fast so just look around so you don't get hit by a tool if you are close they let you know but you don't wanna be that guy good luck everyone

Dunnlick when you say "tubes" do you mean the under water river tubes connecting the boroughs or the tunnels (the hole) going from station to station within a borough.

I ask because I spent 6 years in a "tube gang" that only worked in the underwater river tunnels.

First, on behalf of myself and the other staff members, welcome!

Second, from what I read, after your initial probationary period is over, you have the chance of applying to specialized jobs within the Track Department such as crane operator, truck driver, etc. For the truck driver position, if you have a CDL, you would qualify to drive the the company's trucks as needed. You would need a Class A CDL for the tractor-trailers pictured here and here. You would need a Class B CDL for the trucks pictured here (to the left of the crane), here, here and here (with the proper Hazmat endorsement if necessary).

If you folks want more information on how to obtain a CDL, click here to go to the DMV's website.

Depending on where you live, how much free time you have, etc., I would suggest to take a walk past Linden Yard, which is located not that far from the intersection of Linden Blvd. and Rockaway Avenue in Brooklyn (you can take the (L) to New Lots Ave and walk). From walking past this facility as a pedestrian and looking in, you are able to see in person the various types of trucks they have. I am unsure if there is any other facility in which they not only park the vehicles, but you're able to see them from a non-employee's perspective.

What do you mean by losing your CDL privilege? I have a CDL myself, and unless something major happens, such as you leave the scene of an accident, you hit a pedestrian which results in their death, you get caught drinking and driving, etc., chances are you will not lose your privilege. I am not yet an employee of the MTA, however, my educated guess is that if you do lose your privilege, depending on how many years you have in, you could retire or get demoted back to becoming a regular track worker.

Hope this helps and once again, welcome!

Thanks, for taking the time out to give such a thorough explanation, it was very informative. I just so happend to drive pass the Linden Blvd fleet vehicle yard today and saw a couple of the vehicles in their fleet. When I mentioned the losing of the CDL priveledge, I was just think if worst case sanarior a person accumulates to many points that results in a revocation, but I guess taking a life is actually worst case sanarior (nervous chuckle). I don't presently have the CDL endorsement. Do you think it's better to get it on my own or wait for the MTA to pay for it?

All jobs are picked by seniority.

If you happen to have a CDL coming in and at the pick there is job requiring one when it's your turn to pick you are eligible to pick the job and would not not have to go thru the extra training in obtaining a CDL.

If there are Track workers ahead of you and jobs requiring a CDL are available and they pick them the Transit authority works with them in getting the CDL. The've 30 days to qualify and if they do not are placed into any available Track worker job regardless of location and hours.

The only real benefit to coming in with a CDL is that you already have it and the experience in driving. I've seen guys go from Track to fleet operations (18 wheelers and larger trucks) that just can't drive and get placed back into a regular Track worker position.

If you lose your CDL your still a Track worker. Should you pick a driving job without your CDL you would have to go thru the schooling again to obtain it and qualify. You don't get fired.

Thanks for your response also, I guess you answered my other question.

hello everyone I have been following you all since abourt april 2015, am happy to finally see some of you like Dunlik get to work my list #is 1100 I got a 97 on test still waiting I really need this opportunity, just got married morgage etc you all know how it goes. what do yall think about my list # you think I will get called in a yr or two? lol.. just hoping and waiting Good luck to all who are working and those who are waiting....

for the men who are in man don't worry about not getting experience right away it will come I would be happy just knowing that I got in and have a secure job don't ever forget the waiting and the not knowing if or when you would get called I'm still waiting wouldn't mind being in your shoes...

Dunnlick when you say "tubes" do you mean the under water river tubes connecting the boroughs or the tunnels (the hole) going from station to station within a borough.

I ask because I spent 6 years in a "tube gang" that only worked in the underwater river tunnels.

In class the teachers called it the tubes so just going by their terminology, but the gang I work with does work in tubes the L N and R line going into Brooklyn bedford the 2 and the 3 they do a few tubes I've only been in the tunnels so far sure it won't be long though

Hey dunnlick are you in capital or maintenance. Congrats. Spikemauler class ends December 4th

Got in a rail gang got a few other new guys that were capital days class before me and all got bid out now their workin nights on the rail gang. Guess it's better I started nights instead of getting days and use to that money then thrown to nights with no OT

In class the teachers called it the tubes so just going by their terminology, but the gang I work with does work in tubes the L N and R line going into Brooklyn bedford the 2 and the 3 they do a few tubes I've only been in the tunnels so far sure it won't be long though

Got in a rail gang got a few other new guys that were capital days class before me and all got bid out now their workin nights on the rail gang. Guess it's better I started nights instead of getting days and use to that money then thrown to nights with no OT

Those guys that got picked out must have picked "x" or "temp" jobs those jobs are not solid

Hey dunnlick are you in capital or maintenance. Congrats. Spikemauler class ends December 4th

Upo were u able to get in capital nights? If so how do u like it?

hello everyone I have been following you all since abourt april 2015, am happy to finally see some of you like Dunlik get to work my list #is 1100 I got a 97 on test still waiting I really need this opportunity, just got married morgage etc you all know how it goes. what do yall think about my list # you think I will get called in a yr or two? lol.. just hoping and waiting Good luck to all who are working and those who are waiting....

The others members can most likely give a better idea as to when you might be able to expect a call.

My number when hired was similar to yours, somewhere in the high 1000's and I waited 2 1/2 years to be called. What's important is that your on the list and you have good people here putting info on this board and keeping people updated.

You turn will come soon. Just stay on top them and keep following this forum.

If we look at this from a mathematical prospective, they called about 700 candidates within the first year of the list being out (argument sake). If the HR Dept. keeps calling people at this rate, since not everyone passes the drug and/or medical examinations, have a criminal background, etc., then in two years from the list being produced (October 2016) 1,400 people will be called, three years (October 2017) 2,100 people, etc.

If you list number is in the 1100 range, then my educated guess would be that they would be calling you in about 5 to 6 months from now (April/May of 2016). Again, this is an educated guess, providing they keep calling people at this rate.

By a federal law there must be 2000 track workers that's why they have been hiring so much out class was up to seniority number 1947 and 27 more people came in so that's 1974 so by law they need to hire 26 more people if you include people getting promoted and retiring that number will jump again and from what I hear a lot if people are retiring also a lot of white hats are retiring too which mean those spots need to be filled opening up more track jobs from people stepping up to Forman good luck guys it takes patients seems like forever but it will come

.Im right behind you 1101.. Good luck

Actually the highest seniority number is 1973. Lots of people are taking about a mass retirement in 2 to 3 years. If this list is still active they will probably be going through it quickly. A good friend of mine is list number 5000. I'm still holding out hope for him.

For all those waiting, keep in mind that this is a tough job. I have a background in construction and stagehand work and this job has presented the harshest environment I've ever worked in. Everything is heavy and everything can possibly kill you. If you're on the list and will be called soon you should really think if this is the job you want to do for the next 25 years (unless you move around in the mta).

I've read about how dangerous the job was for about a year or two. I take everything people say with a grain of salt but now that I'm out on the tracks I see exactly what they are talking about. Be prepared. This is not like any other job you have ever done.

Those guys that got picked out must have picked "x" or "temp" jobs those jobs are not solid

Upo were u able to get in capital nights? If so how do u like it?

All of the jobs for the last class were x jobs. Upo and myself both got capital nights. I haven't gone to my hq yet, still training. Hoping we can stay there for a few months to get the taste of capital work and some ot

...If you're on the list and will be called soon you should really think if this is the job you want to do for the next 25 years (unless you move around in the mta)....

I understand 100% where you are coming from, but I thought that the latest retirement plan with NYCERS is 10/63, which means either 10 years on the job or until you turn 63 years of age, whichever comes first?

I understand 100% where you are coming from, but I thought that the latest retirement plan with NYCERS is 10/63, which means either 10 years on the job or until you turn 63 years of age, whichever comes first?

All NYCTA hourly jobs are 25/55(tier4 and tier6). 10/63 sounds like vesting time(10) and collecting age(63)

All NYCTA hourly jobs are 25/55(tier4 and tier6). 10/63 sounds like vesting time(10) and collecting age(63)

That's correct! When I went through the Bus Operator Training Program in February of 2014 (and failed), I was placed into Tier 6, which is 10/63 so things might have changed. Perhaps a rookie employee can elaborate more on this...

Thanks in advance.