Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, paulrivera said:

(MTA) translation: We're too cheap to completely shut down the line past Parkchester to provide shuttle buses, and we know we can get away with this because Bronx people are too poor to know what's better.

OR even more likely (MTA) translation: We know too many bus operators have to take vacation time this week because in a lot of cases, they have kids living in other parts of the country where school starts this week and have to be with them.  Same for those who have kids going to college that starts in the next week and they have to help them get settled.  We simply because of that and others who are on vacation don't have enough available operators for that and all the other shuttle routes we must operate. 

I hate that evening GO where the (D)(N) go local along 4th Avenue all the time. Even before it became official, they often would sent (D)(N)'s local in either direction along 4th Avenue throughout the evening. Seems that might last permanently unfortunately. Obviously it says "until further notice" but who knows? Of course, I greatly understand why they both always go local on that corridor overnights due to the work trains coming from the 36th-39th Street Yards. But now, they come out an hour before the PM Rush is officially over. Smh.

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Aug 26 - 30, Mon to Fri, from 9:45 PM to 5 AM
(F) Trains run via the (E) in both directions between Roosevelt Av, Queens and 5 Av/53 St, Manhattan

This is the first time that they have shuttle buses run to Roosevelt Island because whenever there is a G.O along the 63rd st corridor, they only have the (F) run via the (E) in one direction either manhattan bound or queens bound trains. This is only running along the 53rd st corridor.

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Aug 30 - Sep 3, Fri 9:45 PM to Tue 5 AM (including Labor Day)
(F) Coney Island-bound trains run via the (E) from Roosevelt Av, Queens to 5 Av/53 St, Manhattan

2 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Aug 26 - 30, Mon to Fri, from 9:45 PM to 5 AM
(F) Trains run via the (E) in both directions between Roosevelt Av, Queens and 5 Av/53 St, Manhattan

This is the first time that they have shuttle buses run to Roosevelt Island because whenever there is a G.O along the 63rd st corridor, they only have the (F) run via the (E) in one direction either manhattan bound or queens bound trains. This is only running along the 53rd st corridor.

Actually its not the first time. They did this G.O for a weekend back in 2017.

For next month: 

(1) No service between 137 St and 242 St: Sep 14-16

(2) No service between Franklin Av and Flatbush Av: Sep 7-9, 14-16

(2) No service between 241 St and Gun Hill Rd: Sep 7-8, 14-15, 21-22

(2) Reduced service: Sep 7-8, 14-15, 21-22

(3) No service between Utica Av and New Lots Av: Sep 21-22

(1)(2)(3) All Downtown service runs express from 96 St to 42 St; Late-night (3) service is extended to 34 St: Sep 21-22

(4)(5)(6) All Uptown service runs express from Grand Central to 125 St: Sep 14-15

(5) Manhattan bound service runs express from Dyre Av to East 180 St: Sep 6-9, 20-23

(5) Reduced service: Sep 14-15

(6) No service between Hunts Point Av and 125 St; Split service operation: Sep 7-9

(6) No service between 3 Av-138 St and 125 St; Split service operation: Sep 20-23

(A) No service between Mott Av and Broad Channel; Operates to Rockaway Park and replaces the (S) : Sep 14-15, 21-22

(A) Service is local between 59 St and Canal St, both directions: Sep 13-16

(A)(C)(E) Downtown service is express in Manhattan: Sep 6-9; Uptown: 21-22

(A)(C) Reduced service: Sep 7-8, 14-15, 21-22

(C) No service between 145 St and 168 St: Sep 7-8

(D) Reduced service: Sep 7-8, 21-22

(D)(N)(R) All Manhattan-bound service runs express in Brooklyn: Sep 6-9, 20-23

(D)(N) Manhattan-bound service is local in Brooklyn: Sep 14-16

(E) Manhattan-bound service runs express from Roosevelt Av to Queens Plaza: Sep 6-9

(E)(F) Service is local between Roosevelt Av and 71 Av: Sep 7-9; Entirely in Queens: Sep 14-16

(F) Brooklyn-bound service runs via 53 St: Sep 6-9

(F) No service between Kings Highway and Coney Island: Sep 21-22

(J) No service between Broadway Junction and Jamaica Center: Sep 7-8, 21-22

(N)  Reduced service: Sep 7-8, 14-15, 21-22

(Q) Reduced service: Sep 7-8, 14-15

(N)(Q)(R) All Downtown service is express in Manhattan: Sep 14-16

(N)(R) Operates via Manhattan Bridge, both directions: Sep 7-9

(R) Brooklyn-bound service runs express from Roosevelt Av to Queens Plaza: Sep 7-8

Edited by S78 via Hylan
Forgot some service changes.

On 8/14/2019 at 10:09 PM, paulrivera said:

(MTA) translation: We're too cheap to completely shut down the line past Parkchester to provide shuttle buses, and we know we can get away with this because Bronx people are too poor to know what's better.

I have to be up in Hudson Heights twice a week and the whole elevator fiasco at 181st has been a PITA.  Coming up there I was taking the (A) to 190th, then getting the M4 a few stops to make my way over to Cabrini Blvd.  I won't have to be up there again until September, and when I resume, I'm not dealing with that crap anymore. Going to get an Uber from Metro-North and an Uber home afterwards. The Shuttle Bus only runs once every 20 minutes if that and the M4 takes an eternity. I don't know how those people deal with that nonsense. I guess that's why parking in the area is so horrendous.

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know how those people deal with that nonsense. I guess that's why parking in the area is so horrendous.

(MTA) takes poor people for granted. They assume the lower income riders have no alternatives and squeeze riders (both literally and figuratively) for every last cent.

All that does is chase away the decent people that have more flexibility in their income to other services, while the low rank riders that are left have to fend for scraps.

Edited by paulrivera

33 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Seriously, they shut down the ENTIRE West Side IRT?

What were they repairing with this shutdown?

Switches at 96th interlocking. While it is a PITA, I think it makes sense for them to shut it down for two weekends with alternatives rather than run poor service for tons of weekends (looking at the Jerome work).

33 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Switches at 96th interlocking. While it is a PITA, I think it makes sense for them to shut it down for two weekends with alternatives rather than run poor service for tons of weekends (looking at the Jerome work).

I get that, but:

1) Did they do any work on the 7th Av end and Bk tracks? And

2) If not, they couldn’t run a (1) and (3) shuttle between 34 or 42 St and points South?

FA9-CA484-C5-C2-44-D8-A986-D98-D7-A8350-

They actually doing track relaying 96-137, station rehab at 148 and drain work all west side.

Running a Shuttle service to Time Square will be insufficient for the people who will take the West Side if given a chance as its a slow speed crossover through M track and it forces express-only service in at least one direction, which then causes back-riders which will compound the problem. If the controlling capacity for Brooklyn is 42nd Street Middle, then Brooklyn would have to take an enormous service reduction. Better to lose the West Side and force everyone to disperse if you want to try to nail as many projects as they are.

19 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

They actually doing track relaying 96-137, station rehab at 148 and drain work all west side.

Running a Shuttle service to Time Square will be insufficient for the people who will take the West Side if given a chance as its a slow speed crossover through M track and it forces express-only service in at least one direction, which then causes back-riders which will compound the problem. If the controlling capacity for Brooklyn is 42nd Street Middle, then Brooklyn would have to take an enormous service reduction. Better to lose the West Side and force everyone to disperse if you want to try to nail as many projects as they are.

That is so stupid that there are no crossovers between 96th and Chambers.

Looks Kind of hard to run a shuttle to 34th or 42nd. Unfortunately it dosnet seem like there was an option . Unless maybe to run the 3 to 42nd and back ? 

On the way to 42nd you actually can run  the (1) normal but then how do you get it back to

to local? Not sure if it  would have made sense but anyway it’s over now . Will worry about it next time 😊

Edited by Abba

16 hours ago, Deucey said:

Seriously, they shut down the ENTIRE West Side IRT?

What were they repairing with this shutdown?

I saw that Saturday. I was considering going down to Tribeca. I saw that and said NOPE... No subway for me!!

On 8/23/2019 at 10:39 PM, paulrivera said:

(MTA) takes poor people for granted. They assume the lower income riders have no alternatives and squeeze riders (both literally and figuratively) for every last cent.

All that does is chase away the decent people that have more flexibility in their income to other services, while the low rank riders that are left have to fend for scraps.

It has really become horrendous. I have really been limiting my use of the subway because of the ongoing issues, and come September it will be even less. I've been studying alternatives to get me to and from Hudson Heights. At night I will simply take an Uber home.  Going there from Midtown, I will likely take Metro-North and then grab an Uber the rest of the way. Between the (A) train, and the elevator nonsense, I've had enough.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I saw that Saturday. I was considering going down to Tribeca. I saw that and said NOPE... No subway for me!!

If only I had checked @Lance‘s blog when I was on Amtrak...

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It has really become horrendous. I have really been limiting my use of the subway because of the ongoing issues, and come September it will be even less. I've been studying alternatives to get me to and from Hudson Heights. At night I will simply take an Uber home.  Going there from Midtown, I will likely take Metro-North and then grab an Uber the rest of the way. Between the (A) train, and the elevator nonsense, I've had enough.

This entire situation is effectively what happens when decision makers conflate “value for money” and the least expensive option.

Look at SAS. Least expensive is a two track line. Value for money would’ve been a 3-track line so that - as I learned elsewhere in this forum recently - a bottleneck doesn’t become a choke point. (Let a train break down on SAS and that whole line is down.)

Why there isn’t a crossover between local and express on the entire Westside IRT is because it’s the least expensive option. Makes no sense that absent a rebuild of the entire line, that one interlocking repair shuts down 20% of Lower Manhattan service.

But we have to blame Interborough Rapid Transit for that one - they built the damn thing.

And as we are now 50 years since the fiscal crisis that led to the disrepair of the subway - the MOST CRITICAL ECONOMIC INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE CITY (if not the US) - we’re still taking the least expensive option to fix it versus value for money.

And as that mechanic’s triangle I post regularly goes, (piecemeal) cheap and fast isn’t good. Plus it costs more because it takes longer to do and you have to redo what was already done.

But here I am with a California “do it right the first time” mindset raging against NY exceptionalism...

3 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If only I had checked @Lance‘s blog when I was on Amtrak...

This entire situation is effectively what happens when decision makers conflate “value for money” and the least expensive option.

Look at SAS. Least expensive is a two track line. Value for money would’ve been a 3-track line so that - as I learned elsewhere in this forum recently - a bottleneck doesn’t become a choke point. (Let a train break down on SAS and that whole line is down.)

Why there isn’t a crossover between local and express on the entire Westside IRT is because it’s the least expensive option. Makes no sense that absent a rebuild of the entire line, that one interlocking repair shuts down 20% of Lower Manhattan service.

But we have to blame Interborough Rapid Transit for that one - they built the damn thing.

And as we are now 50 years since the fiscal crisis that led to the disrepair of the subway - the MOST CRITICAL ECONOMIC INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE CITY (if not the US) - we’re still taking the least expensive option to fix it versus value for money.

And as that mechanic’s triangle I post regularly goes, (piecemeal) cheap and fast isn’t good. Plus it costs more because it takes longer to do and you have to redo what was already done.

But here I am with a California “do it right the first time” mindset raging against NY exceptionalism...

Well maybe if we didn't spend so much in those damn mezzanines there would be money for other things. Such a waste of space...

12 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well maybe if we didn't spend so much in those damn mezzanines there would be money for other things. Such a waste of space...

It’s the NY way - get them into the station paid areas when service fails so you got the money instead of making folks wait outside the gates and exercise other options.

The bottleneck and quarantine = guaranteed money. (Like all these tolled Bridges.)

Edited by Deucey

For the last weekend this month:

(2)(A)(C)(D)(N)(Q): Reduced service

(1)(2)(3) All Downtown service runs express from 96 St to 42 St; Late night (3) extended to Penn Station

(2) No service between 241 St and Gun Hill Road

(4) Split service at 125 St: Local service in Manhattan

(5) No service between East 180 St and Bowling Green

(A) No service between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd

(A)(C) All Downtown service runs express from 59 St to Canal St

(D) Coney Island bound service runs via Sea Beach

(E) Operates via 63 St and runs to 2 Av; No service to World Trade Center

(E)(F) Local service in Queens

(N)(Q)(R) All Uptown service runs express from Canal St to 57 St

ACCESSIBILITY & STATION WORK
Sep 13 - 16, Fri 10:45 PM to Mon 5 AM
(L) Service between Broadway Junction in Brooklyn and 8 Av in Manhattan is replaced by (A) (C) (G) (J) (M) trains, M14 and free shuttle buses

(L) trains run between Rockaway Pkwy and Broadway Junction. Trains board at the Queens Bound (J) platform

TRACK REPLACEMENT
Sep 21, Saturday, 6:15 AM to 11:30 PM
Sep 22, Sunday, 8:30 AM to 10 PM
(4) Service between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Utica Av in Brooklyn is replaced by (2) and (3) trains

(4) trains run between Woodlawn and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr, the last stop.

(2) (3) trains make all stops between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Franklin Av.
(3) trains make all stops between Franklin Av and Utica Av.

• Transfer between (2) (3) and (4) trains at Nevins St (across the platform) or Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.
• Transfer between (2) and (3) trains at Franklin Av.

I thought they can terminate both the (3) and (4) at Utica Ave together . I guess not that weekend for some reason.  At least there not doing that during the week . It’s been a long time since they did that during the week 

Edited by Abba