Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Has anyone else noticed that the 42nd St Shuttle has a new Planned Work Section added starting August 11th? Possible reopening date?

Yes, it's in effect Monday, the 10th. 

Edited by Calvin

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-test-new-signal-room-and-interlocking-part-broader-modernization-f?fbclid=IwAR2aEnmpnK6SjDpcSS9oQFCJVr9VokZBEbqzlPM5TnEZDzkOGVcgXDWR2k4

On the 31st of August, Monday to September 4, Friday: All Manhattan bound (F) trains will be on the Express track between Avenue X and Ditmas Av. On the 21st to 25th of September, the Coney Island bound trains will be on that track vice versa. 

Reconstruction of the archer ave tracks is going to knock out E train service on Archer ave 24/7 from 9/19 till November. Excuse the mobile formatting. 

https://new.mta.info/jamaicatrackreconstruction

Phase 1 (September 19 until November 2020): To start, we’ll need full access to the tracks. While we work, there will be no E service at Sutphin Blvd and Jamaica Center at all times.  

Phase 2 (Dates to be determined): Once we finish Phase 1, we’ll be able to bring service back at these stations but still have additional track reconstruction work to complete. While we work, E trains will run to Jamaica Center at all times but operate on a single track there. This limits the number of trains we can run so customers should expect reduced frequencies on weekdays. We will keep you posted as we finalize these plans.  

Service change and alternate travel options

There will be no E service at Sutphin Blvd-Parsons Av-JFK Airport and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer. During these closures, J Z trains still serve these stations. The last stop on most E trains will be Jamaica-Van Wyck station.  

During weekdays, we will send some E trains to 179 St F to both prevent congestion at Jamaica-Van Wyck and increase service to nearby stations on the F. Both Sutphin Blvd and Parsons Blvd on the F line are a ten-minute walk from stations without E service. 

During rush hours, E trains will run every 8 minutes to each station. Middays and evenings they will run every 10-15 minutes. During weekends, all E trains will run to Jamaica Van Wyck every 12 minutes.   

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger
Add info

10 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

why don’t they send the (E) to 179 full time during phase 1 ?

10 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Because this is (MTA) , when do they ever do anything logical.

Perhaps it's so Jamaica/Van Wyck doesn't have to be covered with a Shuttle bus?

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting G.Os for September

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Sep 5 - 7, Sat 5 AM to Mon 10 PM (includes Labor Day)
(6) No trains between Westchester Sq and Pelham Bay Park 

(6) trains run between Brooklyn Bridge and Westchester Sq. 
Note: During the day service in the Bronx runs every 16 minutes.

Free shuttle buses make all stops between Westchester Sq and Pelham Bay Park.
• Transfer between (6) trains and buses at Westchester Sq. 

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Sep 11 - 14, Fri 11:45 PM to Mon 1 AM
(Q) No trains between Times Sq-42 St and Lexington Av/63 St 

(Q) service runs in two sections: 
1. Between Stillwell Av and Times Sq-42 St, every 12 minutes days and early evenings.
2. Between Lexington Av/63 St and 96 St, every 15 minute days and early evenings.

ELECTRICAL IMPROVEMENTS
Sep 18 - 21  •  Sep 25 - 28  •  Oct 2 - 5, Fri 9:30 PM to Mon 1 AM
(F) Trains are replaced by the (E) between 21 St-Queensbridge and Delancey St/Essex St  

(F) trains run via the (E) between Roosevelt Av and Canal St* and via the (A) to/from Jay St-MetroTech.   

Travel Alternatives:
(E) replaces (F) at 21 St-Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island, Lexington Av/63, 57 St, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk, 34 St-Herald Sq, 23, 14, B'way-Lafayette Sts, 2 Av, Delancey St.  

• Transfer between (E) and (F) trains at Roosevelt Av or W 4 St.  

For East Broadway and York St, take a free shuttle bus.

• Transfer between buses and (E) trains at Delancey St or (F) trains at Jay St-MetroTech.  

*Downtown (F) trains skip 23 St and Spring St, Fri 9:45 PM to Mon 1 AM, Sep 25 - 28 and Oct 2 - 5. 

(C) Trains will also only run to/from 145th Street every weekend of September although that G.O is obviously not rare at all. 

15 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Some interesting G.Os for September

TRACK MAINTENANCE

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Sep 11 - 14, Fri 11:45 PM to Mon 1 AM
(Q) No trains between Times Sq-42 St and Lexington Av/63 St 

(Q) service runs in two sections: 
1. Between Stillwell Av and Times Sq-42 St, every 12 minutes days and early evenings.
2. Between Lexington Av/63 St and 96 St, every 15 minute days and early evenings.

ELECTRICAL IMPROVEMENTS
Sep 18 - 21  •  Sep 25 - 28  •  Oct 2 - 5, Fri 9:30 PM to Mon 1 AM
(F) Trains are replaced by the (E) between 21 St-Queensbridge and Delancey St/Essex St  

(F) trains run via the (E) between Roosevelt Av and Canal St* and via the (A) to/from Jay St-MetroTech.   

Travel Alternatives:
(E) replaces (F) at 21 St-Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island, Lexington Av/63, 57 St, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk, 34 St-Herald Sq, 23, 14, B'way-Lafayette Sts, 2 Av, Delancey St.  

• Transfer between (E) and (F) trains at Roosevelt Av or W 4 St.  

For East Broadway and York St, take a free shuttle bus.

• Transfer between buses and (E) trains at Delancey St or (F) trains at Jay St-MetroTech.  

*Downtown (F) trains skip 23 St and Spring St, Fri 9:45 PM to Mon 1 AM, Sep 25 - 28 and Oct 2 - 5. 

(C) Trains will also only run to/from 145th Street every weekend of September although that G.O is obviously not rare at all. 

IIRC on the weekend of the 25th-28th, uptown (D) trains are running on the (C) from West 4th to 145th (this G.O. obviously isn’t rare), so it seems the 6th Avenue Line will be taking over the uptown 8th Avenue local for those two days while the (A) and (C) are running express, and the (E) will be the sole uptown service on the 6th Avenue Line.

Just now, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

IIRC on the weekend of the 25th-28th, uptown (D) trains are running on the (C) from West 4th to 145th (this G.O. obviously isn’t rare), so it seems the 6th Avenue Line will be taking over the uptown 8th Avenue local for those two days while the (A) and (C) are running express, and the (E) will be the sole uptown service on the 6th Avenue Line.

The (D) via the (C) Local to 145th Street is happening every weekend this month as well as the first weekend in October but I didn't put it up because the G.O isn't really rare.

4 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

The (D) via the (C) Local to 145th Street is happening every weekend this month as well as the first weekend in October but I didn't put it up because the G.O isn't really rare.

Yeah, I acknowledged that... my point was that the uptown (D) and (F) will be replacing the uptown (C) and (E) along 8th Avenue, and the uptown (E) would be replacing both the uptown (D) and (F) that weekend.

More information relating towards where (E) trains will run during this reconstruction :

JAMAICA (E) TRACK RECONSTRUCTION    
Beginning September 18, Friday at 11:45 PM until November 2, Monday at 1 AM
 No (E) service at Sutphin Blvd/Archer Av-JFK and Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer 

Weekday service:
(E) trains run between World Trade Center and the Jamaica-179 St (F) station, or the Jamaica-Van Wyck (E) station, the last stop.   

(E) trains running to/from Jamaica-179 St will run local between 71 Av and 179 St.  

After 9:30 PM each weeknight, the last stop for all (E) trains will be Jamaica-Van Wyck. 

Weekend service:
All (E) trains run between World Trade Center and Jamaica-Van Wyck, the last stop.  
• Transfer between (E) and (F) trains at Kew Gardens-Union Tpke.

On 9/1/2020 at 1:27 PM, Daniel The Cool said:

TRACK MAINTENANCE

Does the crew switch at East 177 Street for those runs, or do they switch at Westchester Square by way of a makeshift crew quarter?

https://new.mta.info/projects/dnr-switches?fbclid=IwAR3Ns3p3XTQH8lmhB6-t4xqmoTkQh6dhZZqViVst5UH1N-4AmWCcYA6mWwQ

Next month, selected weekends:

(N) will run via Brighton on both directions between Coney Island and Atlantic Av-Barclays. The other (N) will run its own route between 36 St and Stillwell 

(D) trains from Norwood-205 St will end at 34 St-Herald Sq, the Brooklyn segment will be from 9 Av to Stillwell Av. 

(R) trains will end at Whitehall St from Forest Hills-71 Av, the Brooklyn side is the midnight shuttle. 

Edited by Calvin

41 minutes ago, Calvin said:

https://new.mta.info/projects/dnr-switches?fbclid=IwAR3Ns3p3XTQH8lmhB6-t4xqmoTkQh6dhZZqViVst5UH1N-4AmWCcYA6mWwQ

(N) will run via Brighton on both directions between Coney Island and Atlantic Av-Barclays. The other (N) will run its own route between 36 St and Stillwell 

(D) trains from Norwood-205 St will end at 34 St-Herald Sq, the Brooklyn segment will be from 9 Av to Stillwell Av. 

(R) trains will end at Whitehall St from Forest Hills-71 Av, the Brooklyn side is the midnight shuttle. 

Kind of sucks how (D) trains in this scenario got screwed the most. Sure, the same argument can be said about the (R) because it isn't getting rerouted, but the (R) already is screwed up in Brooklyn anyways. Reason why I say (D) trains got screwed the most is because it has the biggest gap, you would have to go either all the way to Coney Island, then transfer to either the (F) or (Q) trains, then sit the whole rid all the way to 34th St-Herald Square OR if you're already closer to 9th Av, take the Free Shuttle bus, then transfer onto the (Q) (because it's running express) and sit all the way to 34th St-Herald Square. It's weird how they don't have (D) trains terminating at 2nd Av or being rerouted on the (F) to Kings Highway or Church. There could've been a lot of better options to run this, but there isn't much I can do in this situation.

11 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Kind of sucks how (D) trains in this scenario got screwed the most. Sure, the same argument can be said about the (R) because it isn't getting rerouted, but the (R) already is screwed up in Brooklyn anyways. Reason why I say (D) trains got screwed the most is because it has the biggest gap, you would have to go either all the way to Coney Island, then transfer to either the (F) or (Q) trains, then sit the whole rid all the way to 34th St-Herald Square OR if you're already closer to 9th Av, take the Free Shuttle bus, then transfer onto the (Q) (because it's running express) and sit all the way to 34th St-Herald Square. It's weird how they don't have (D) trains terminating at 2nd Av or being rerouted on the (F) to Kings Highway or Church. There could've been a lot of better options to run this, but there isn't much I can do in this situation.

actually, the (N) train split is only

1. Astoria to Atlantic Av-Barclays Center, then via the (Q) to Brighton Beach only

2. Shuttle from 36 St to Stillwell Av.

So there is no direct connection between the two (N) trains

On 9/10/2020 at 6:41 PM, Calvin said:

I would have prefered the (D) be the one going to Brighton Beach, because at least 6th Ave and Broadway riders would then have direct access from Atlantic Ave into Manhattan, and you wouldn't need to run the (D) shuttle bus in Manhattan.

The issue though would be the Downtown Brooklyn stations and the Broadway Line section between 57th and 42nd. The (Q) would need to operate via Lower Manhattan and operate local in Manhattan for that to work.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 5/23/2020 at 12:33 PM, CenSin said:

Hmm… let’s see how difficult it will be to try the alternatives:

• Ditmas Avenue: at Church Avenue transfer to the B67 or B69 to Cortelyou Road and walk 1 block south—or just walk 3 blocks from Church Avenue.
  • 18 Avenue:
    • at Jay Street–MetroTech or 4 Avenue–9 Street transfer to the (R) to 53 Street, then take the B11 and B8 buses to McDonald and 18 Avenues.
    • at Broadway–Lafayette Street transfer to the (D) to 50 Street, then take the B11 and B8 buses to McDonald and 18 Avenues.
  • Avenue I:
    • at Jay Street–MetroTech or 4 Avenue–9 Street transfer to the (R) to 53 Street, then take the B11 bus to McDonald Avenue and Avenue I.
    • at Broadway–Lafayette Street transfer to the (D) to 50 Street, then take the B11 bus to McDonald Avenue and Avenue I.
  • Bay Parkway: (I give up)

There are way too many possibilities to explain. Folks are screwed today unless they know the bus network and weekend service really well.

For Bay Parkway you just take the B6, for Avenue N you take the B9, for Kings Highway you take the B82, for Avenue U you take the B3, for Avenue X you take the B1, and for Neptune Avenue you take the B68 (probably better off taking it from Coney Island rather than 15th Street-Prospect Park). The only ones that involve a bit of walking are Avenue P and 20th Avenue, but also consider that the (N) gets within walking distance once you get south of (funny enough) Avenue N.

On 7/25/2020 at 11:10 AM, Lance said:

Two things are likely playing a part in why this isn't being considered as an option: 1) The E and F swap between 53rd St/8th Ave and 63rd St/6th Ave all the time. So much so that riders are relatively familiar with this service change. When's the last time you've seen an E train on the Culver line? 2) During the overnight Rutgers closures, if the E was extended down to Coney Island in lieu of the F, that would be a long, slow local line from Jamaica-Parsons. The F currently has 45 stops between 179 Street and Coney Island, but it has that express portion on Queens Blvd to speed it up. The E as a full local at night doesn't have that option and would increase from 32 stops to over 50 crawling the whole way there.

Except overnight service is shut down to the general public (granted, the (E) local service starts around 10:30pm, but that's pretty much just one, one-way all-local trip). 

On 9/11/2020 at 6:55 AM, darkstar8983 said:

actually, the (N) train split is only

1. Astoria to Atlantic Av-Barclays Center, then via the (Q) to Brighton Beach only

2. Shuttle from 36 St to Stillwell Av.

So there is no direct connection between the two (N) trains

Actually, it would be more accurate to say it's running on the (B) to Brighton Beach, since it's running express.

3 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I would have prefered the (D) be the one going to Brighton Beach, because at least 6th Ave and Broadway riders would then have direct access from Atlantic Ave into Manhattan, and you wouldn't need to run the (D) shuttle bus in Manhattan.

The issue though would be the Downtown Brooklyn stations and the Broadway Line section between 57th and 42nd. The (Q) would need to operate via Lower Manhattan and operate local in Manhattan for that to work.

Lower Manhattan/Downtown Brooklyn isn't too much of an issue. If you're coming from there, you can take the IRT to Atlantic Avenue (since either way you need to get to the shuttle buses to go down 4th Avenue). The bigger issue would be congestion at Whitehall (unless the (N) turned at City Hall). For 49th Street, it's not that far from either Times Square, Rockerfeller Center, or 53rd Street & 7th Avenue. 

Also @Via Garibaldi 8 I notice they don't advertise the X27/28 as alternatives. Maybe they could do so.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

21 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Also @Via Garibaldi 8 I notice they don't advertise the X27/28 as alternatives. Maybe they could do so.

Yeah I know. I will inquire about that. They usually doesn't list the express bus as an alternative though. My thinking is that the X27 is usually crowded enough on weekends, and with hourly service at times, that may be a problem.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2nd weekend in October, just getting from the Bronx to Brooklyn in general is gonna be a whole mission (parentheses my own) :

TRACK REPLACEMENT
Oct 10 - 11, Saturday & Sunday

(2) Trains run every 12 minutes, days and evenings

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Oct 10 - 11, Saturday & Sunday

(5) Service between E 180 St and Bowling Green is replaced by (reduced) (2) and (split section) (4) trains

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Oct 10 - 12, Sat 12:01 AM to Mon 1 AM

(4) Service runs in two sections:
1. Between Woodlawn and 125 St, every 12 minutes, days and evenings
2. Between 125 St and Utica Av/New Lots Av (making local stops in Manhattan)

REPLACING TRACK SWITCHES
Oct 9 - 12 • Oct 16 - 19 • Oct 23 - 26, Fri 9:30 PM to Mon 1 AM

(D)(R) No service between Manhattan and Brooklyn
Free shuttle buses replace trains between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and 36 St, Brooklyn
(D)(N) and (R) trains run in separate sections

(D) trains run:
1. Between 205 St and 34 St-Herald Sq.
2. Between 9 Av and Stillwell Av, every 12 minutes days and early evenings.

(N) trains run:
1. Between Ditmars Blvd and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr (via Lower Manhattan local) and via the <Q> express to/from Brighton Beach, every 12 minutes days and early evenings.
2. Local between 36 St, Brooklyn and Stillwell Av, every 15 minutes days and early evenings.

(R) trains run:
1. Between 71 Av and Whitehall St, days and evenings.
2. Between 36 St and Bay Ridge-95 St , every 15 minutes days and early evenings.

(I feel for that lone Dyre rider who now has to take a (5) shuttle to a (2) train to a (4) shuttle to a (4) local just to get to the Upper East Side. Or that lone Concourse rider who's now taking a (D) to a (N) or (Q) to a bus to another (D)...)

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah I know. I will inquire about that. They usually doesn't list the express bus as an alternative though. My thinking is that the X27 is usually crowded enough on weekends, and with hourly service at times, that may be a problem.

I mean, Ulmer Park isn't too far from the Brooklyn terminal (especially since buses are allowed on that portion of the Belt Parkway), so it's not too hard to send backup buses over there if necessary. And then just put a couple of buses on the Manhattan end (e.g. 23rd Street or Thomas Street) and you're good to go. In the grand scheme of things, it's not too expensive (considering that with these subway shuttles, a lot of times they'll have B/Os from all over the city come over to work those trips).

They should be advertising all alternatives anyway (for example, a local bus to the (F)) to minimize the need for shuttle buses.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The higher fare can also serve as a deterrent.

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Lower Manhattan/Downtown Brooklyn isn't too much of an issue. If you're coming from there, you can take the IRT to Atlantic Avenue (since either way you need to get to the shuttle buses to go down 4th Avenue). The bigger issue would be congestion at Whitehall (unless the (N) turned at City Hall). For 49th Street, it's not that far from either Times Square, Rockerfeller Center, or 53rd Street & 7th Avenue. 

I forgot to include (and it goes in hand with the 57th to 42nd St point in my other post), but if the (D) operated to Brighton Beach, the (N) would terminate at 34th Street. The (Q) would operate local south of 42nd to make room for the (N) , and would operate via Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn instead.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven