Planned Subway Service Changes

5 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Explain why either sending the (E) to Euclid (replacing the (C)) or (R) to Jamaica Center (replacing the (E)) is less feasible and easier to understand than any of what you described.

The (E) to Euclid is something that could have been done as well, but again, I was looking more into avoiding using the switches between 6th and 8th Avenues at West 4th as that has been a problem in the past (why the split (A) for example).  Running an extended (M) via its normal weekday route makes more sense in this case.  

As for the (R), the idea is to make sure Court and Jay-Metrotech (two major transfer points) are served in both directions.  This also eliminates any merger issues other than at Sea Beach with the (N) northbound since in this scenario, the (N) is local in Manhattan and on 4th Avenue (except for going over the Bridge northbound).  

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

It would not kill things to have the (M) running it's normal weekday route but extended to Jamaica Center (which also keeps 5th and Lexington Avenues on 53rd open as well as Court Square on that line, again, unless there is ALSO work going on in the 53rd Street tube that was not noted) to substitute for the (E) and (R).  Yes, it's only eight cars as opposed to 10, but if need be, the (G) as noted can also be extended to either Parsons or 179 to pick up the slack. 

As for running the (R) via Nassau in this (as five-car trains): This clears out this line from Broadway and allows for local trains in both directions to stop at Jay-Metrotech and Court Street, both transfer points (and since this in this scenario, the (M) would be running an extended version of its weekday route in place of the (E), this (R) can use Essex to terminate).  Since the (N) is also running via the tunnel southbound in this scenario, that covers at Court and Jay-Metrotech southbound the short (R) trains for most stations since the (N) would also be a local on 4th Avenue in this.

Splitting the (A) in two (59th-CC to 207 and Canal to Lefferts/Far Rockaway) while suspending the (C):  This reduces the possibility of the kind of nightmare bottleneck at West 4th some dread that can create far worse problems than the way I would do this.  

I don't know who you think you're fooling, but the only thing you give a shit about is the Bankers Special. It would probably be easier to count the number of times you didn't try to shoehorn it in (in general, not just regarding whatever GO cavalcade the MTA may have on any given weekend).

42 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

The (E) to Euclid is something that could have been done as well, but again, I was looking more into avoiding using the switches between 6th and 8th Avenues at West 4th as that has been a problem in the past (why the split (A) for example).  Running an extended (M) via its normal weekday route makes more sense in this case.  

As for the (R), the idea is to make sure Court and Jay-Metrotech (two major transfer points) are served in both directions.  This also eliminates any merger issues other than at Sea Beach with the (N) northbound since in this scenario, the (N) is local in Manhattan and on 4th Avenue (except for going over the Bridge northbound).  

If we attempted to not use "problematic" switches on G.Os (whatever that means), we'd create so many more problems in terms of diversions. If the switch acts up, well then all three services are going to have to go down the same line into Brooklyn (and past Jay Street they'll get back on track). Same thing applies in the opposite direction. Also, you're going to have merging no matter what, whether it's the (M) or the (A), especially if you planned on sending the former to Upper Manhattan. 

Regarding 4th Avenue riders, all the transfers at Court Street can be accomplished at Atlantic Avenue. Additionally, since everything's running on 6th Avenue in Midtown, one can also transfer at Atlantic to the (D) for 6th Ave stations, or the (2)(3) for nearby Lower Manhattan and Midtown stations to the 8th Avenue line if they wish. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

My idea.

A: 207-Queens, local between 168 and W4th.

C: Via 6th, stays the same with everything else.

E: Suspended entirely.

R: Jamaica Center-Bay Ridge via the GOs it has.

Just makes everything easier, no need for consistent bottlenecking.

Only junctions used: 168th, 59th, W4th. Compared to: 59th, W4th, 36th St, Lex/63rd, and 57th, and 34th. 

TA totally screwed up the messaging/closures for the 8 Ave Fasttrack last night. Saw an entire platform of people waiting for the ACE on W4 upper N/B while all the service was running on W4 lower. Who even knows how long they were there for, since they only taped off the S/B side. Pretty lazy imo.

• 2 weeks later...

No E service at stations between Court Sq-23 St and World Trade Center

Feb 18 - 22, Fri 11:30 PM to Tue 5:00 AM (includes Presidents' Day)

D‌ays and evenings, (E) trains run via the (F) between 21 St-Queensbridge and Lexington Av/63 St and via the (Q) to/from 34 St-Herald Sq, the last stop.

Overnight, (E) trains run via the R between Queens Plaza and 34 St-Herald Sq, the last stop. (Trains skip 49 St in both directions)

No (E) service at Court Sq-23 St, Lexington Av/53 St, 5 Av/53 St, 7 Av, 50 St, 42 St, 34 St-Penn Station, 23 St, 14 St, W 4 St, Spring St, Canal St and World Trade Center.

Travel Alternatives:

Days and evenings, for Queens Plaza, take the R or use the nearby Queensboro Plaza (7)(N) station. Overnight (E) trains will make this stop.

For Court Sq-23 St, take the (7) .

For Lexington Av/53 St, use the (4) local or (6) at 51 St.

For 5 Av/53 St, use the nearby 57 St (F) , ‌5 Av/59 St (R) or 57 St-7 Av (N)(Q)(R) stations.  

For 7 Av, take the rerouted (A)(C) or the (D) .

For 50 St,‌ 42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal, 34 St-Penn Station, 23 St and 14 St, use nearby 12 stations on 7 Av or F station on 6th Av.

For W 4 St-Wash Sq, Spring St, Canal St and World Trade Center/Chambers St, take the (A) (C).

Transfer between alternative services at the following stations:

Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av/74 St-Broadway Accessbility | (E)(F)(R)(7)

Grand Central-42 St (4)(6)(7) 

Times Sq-42 St / 42 St-Bryant Pk (A)(C)(D)(E)  (F)  (N)  (R) (1) (2)  (7) 

34 St-Herald Sq (A)(C)(D)(E)(F)   (N) 

Lexington Av/59 St overnight (E) and (4)(6)

What's happening?

We're making structural and communication improvements along 8th Avenue

this weekend coming up

Edited by nightmare402

Special weekend (W) trains run every 20 minutes between 34 St-Herald Sq and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd 

Mar 5 & 12, Saturdays, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM and Mar 5 & 13, Sundays, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Note: Uptown trains skip 49 St.

What's happening?

We're providing alternate service between Queens and Manhattan for 7 line customers due to track maintenance

Posted: 02/10/2022 11:10AM

*At this point, I wouldn't run the (W) at all. Seems like the MTA keeps chipping away at the weekend (W) service. At first, it used to be every 12 minutes (with the (N) also every 12 minutes) between Astoria and Whitehall St. Then it was cut down to every 20 minutes (full route) which caused uneven spacing between (N)(W) trains. This past (7) train suspension had the (W) running every 24 minutes (full route) to have at least every OTHER 12-minute (N) train service gap filled by a (W) train, but this Astoria-34 St shuttle seems a lot more invasive. The service hours also have been chipped away at (Saturday Hours used to be from 7AM to 10PM and Sunday Hours were from 9AM to 7:30PM)

I remember a long time ago (this was back when the (Q) was still running to Astoria), and the (7) train was suspended between Queensboro Plaza & Times Sq-42 St. The (Q) was also suspended between 57 St-7 Av and Prospect Park, so the MTA had to run shuttle (N) trains from Queens to 34 St (49 St Skipped Northbound). I mention this because during these service changes, there was additional track work that made the shuttle (N)s run ONLY between Queensboro Plaza and 34 St-Herald Sq, relaying at 39 Av on the express track since there was only one track in service at Ditmars Blvd.

Edited by darkstar8983

20 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Special weekend (W) trains run every 20 minutes between 34 St-Herald Sq and Astoria-Ditmars Blvd 

Mar 5 & 12, Saturdays, 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM and Mar 5 & 13, Sundays, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM

Note: Uptown trains skip 49 St.

What's happening?

We're providing alternate service between Queens and Manhattan for 7 line customers due to track maintenance

Posted: 02/10/2022 11:10AM

*At this point, I wouldn't run the (W) at all. Seems like the MTA keeps chipping away at the weekend (W) service. At first, it used to be every 12 minutes (with the (N) also every 12 minutes) between Astoria and Whitehall St. Then it was cut down to every 20 minutes (full route) which caused uneven spacing between (N)(W) trains. This past (7) train suspension had the (W) running every 24 minutes (full route) to have at least every OTHER 12-minute (N) train service gap filled by a (W) train, but this Astoria-34 St shuttle seems a lot more invasive. The service hours also have been chipped away at (Saturday Hours used to be from 7AM to 10PM and Sunday Hours were from 9AM to 7:30PM)

I remember a long time ago (this was back when the (Q) was still running to Astoria), and the (7) train was suspended between Queensboro Plaza & Times Sq-42 St. The (Q) was also suspended between 57 St-7 Av and Prospect Park, so the MTA had to run shuttle (N) trains from Queens to 34 St (49 St Skipped Northbound). I mention this because during these service changes, there was additional track work that made the shuttle (N)s run ONLY between Queensboro Plaza and 34 St-Herald Sq, relaying at 39 Av on the express track since there was only one track in service at Ditmars Blvd.

The (Q) is running local on Broadway. I'm not sure if it's running local because the (W) is turning on the express tracks at 34 St, but if it's not, it would cause the Broadway line to be overserved according to their weekend track capacity guidelines, and heaven forbid if the (MTA) has much more than 15tph running on the same track on a weekend (5 N, 5 R, 6 Q).

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The (Q) is running local on Broadway. I'm not sure if it's running local because the (W) is turning on the express tracks at 34 St, but if it's not, it would cause the Broadway line to be overserved according to their weekend track capacity guidelines, and heaven forbid if the (MTA) has much more than 15tph running on the same track on a weekend (5 N, 5 R, 6 Q).

Exactly. This just causes a big mess and should only be justified if lower manhattan is not available in one or both directions for the (W) to go the full route to Whitehall St. The downtown local track between 57 St-7 Av and 34 St-Herald Sq would have 19 TPH (5 (N), 6 (Q), 5 (R), and 3 (W)), all on different headways, while northbound you'll have a 10-minute headway (Q) on the express track the whole way, merging with a 20-minute headway (W) train, merging to a 12 minute headway (N) and 12-minute headway (R) train. This is assuming a 10-minute headway on the (Q) because the local track on Broadway is being used by the (N)(Q) and (R) and the new policy of no more than 15 TPH on a track in any section.

While this is all "on paper" for the service change and alternative service to the (7) line, in practice what will likely happen is that the (W) won't run and the (N) will just run every "12 minutes", with a general "Delay" announcement saying "We are running as much (N) service as we can with the train crews we have available".

Edited by darkstar8983

On 2/13/2022 at 1:02 PM, paulrivera said:

Could anyone explain a little more about the 15 TPH weekend track capacity guidelines?  Where did this rule come from?  When was it implemented? Do exceptions apply, especially when there is work on other lines that would be rerouted to other sections of track?

For the (5) service change this weekend, why doesn't the (MTA) just run it as a shuttle between Dyre ave and E180 and add more (4) service and call it a day. There is no need to have a (5) train running every 24 minutes between E149 and Bowling green since that section is duplicated by the (4).

59 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

For the (5) service change this weekend, why doesn't the (MTA) just run it as a shuttle between Dyre ave and E180 and add more (4) service and call it a day. There is no need to have a (5) train running every 24 minutes between E149 and Bowling green since that section is duplicated by the (4).

Running more (4) trains costs "too much money." This way's cheaper.

They should at least run the (5) on it's normal headways tho. Running it on 12 minute headways shouldn't interfere with (4) train service at 149th on paper, even if they're both coming in on the middle track.

On 2/20/2022 at 7:25 PM, paulrivera said:

Running more (4) trains costs "too much money." This way's cheaper.

They should at least run the (5) on it's normal headways tho. Running it on 12 minute headways shouldn't interfere with (4) train service at 149th on paper, even if they're both coming in on the middle track.

Those 5s are literally 4 trains. However you can’t have all those 5s as 4s(hell at 24min I think it was only four 5 trains running) it would cause a mess at Atlantic Av. I said the same thing, on paper it looks good to suspend the 5. Those crews working the 5 were 4 crews while 5 crews were displaced to work the 2 to crown heights, and to relay at Utica. Those people had to deal with 17min headways at points throughout the day. 

The mismanagement of having 2s dump on the 3 track holding up 3s, when you could have sent the 2 express from Franklin to Utica to dump on the 4 track then go into the relay. I didn’t see any track work on the express between Utica and Franklin. Nostrand and Kingston folk are used to terrible 3 train service, they don’t get double service with the 4 so why do it with the 2.

33 minutes ago, 553 Bridgeton said:

Those 5s are literally 4 trains. However you can’t have all those 5s as 4s(hell at 24min I think it was only four 5 trains running) it would cause a mess at Atlantic Av. I said the same thing, on paper it looks good to suspend the 5. Those crews working the 5 were 4 crews while 5 crews were displaced to work the 2 to crown heights, and to relay at Utica. Those people had to deal with 17min headways at points throughout the day. 

The mismanagement of having 2s dump on the 3 track holding up 3s, when you could have sent the 2 express from Franklin to Utica to dump on the 4 track then go into the relay. I didn’t see any track work on the express between Utica and Franklin. Nostrand and Kingston folk are used to terrible 3 train service, they don’t get double service with the 4 so why do it with the 2.

That would be great, but no switches exist for this purpose. This is why (4) trains (to Utica/New Lots) forced to the local track after Nevins Street stop at Nostrand and Kingston Avenues. Similarly, (3) trains to Manhattan are stuck on the express track if they run express after Utica Avenue, only being able to return to their normal alignment before entering Nevins Street.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

That would be great, but no switches exist for this purpose. This is why (4) trains (to Utica/New Lots) forced to the local track after Nevins Street stop at Nostrand and Kingston Avenues. Similarly, (3) trains to Manhattan are stuck on the express track if they run express after Utica Avenue, only being able to return to their normal alignment before entering Nevins Street.

Oh yeah that’s right rogers jct only has the switch to the express and local(from the express track)and then to flatbush. 

(M) service is returning over the Second Av line this weekend due to the (L) not running along 14 St and ends at Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs.  [February 25th 11:30 PM-28th 5 AM]

In Brooklyn, free shuttle buses run along two routes:

1. Between Lorimer St (L)(G) and Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs    (L) (M)  

2. Loop Shuttle stopping at Lorimer St, Bedford Av, Marcy Av JM, Hewes St (J)(M) and Broadway  (G) 

It’s been a minute since I’ve done this, but since I had free time, I decided to make a list to upcoming major weekend changes for March. For those who don’t want to scroll back and forth between pages looking for changes, this list should simplify things.

Note: I omitted small changes such as station skips that affect small sections of a line as I felt they weren’t that major unless connected to a major change.

(1) No service between 238 St and 242 St: Mar 12-13, 26-27

(2) Reduced service: Mar 5-6, 26-27

(2) Operates between Dyre Av and South Ferry; Runs local south of 34 St: Mar 18-21

(2)(3) Uptown service runs local from 14 St to 96 St: Mar 26-27

(3) Operates to New Lots Av all weekend as a supplement to the (4): Mar 11-14 

(3) No service south of 14 St: Mar 18-21

(4) No service south of Brooklyn Bridge; Runs local in Manhattan: Mar 11-14

(4) Operates to New Lots Av all weekend as a supplement to the (3): Mar 18-21 

(5) No service south of Grand Central: Mar 11-14

(5) Operates between Wakefield-241 St and Flatbush Av: Mar 18-21

(5) Reduced service: Mar 26-27

(4)(6) Downtown service runs express from Grand Central to Brooklyn Bridge: Mar 25-28

(7) No service between Queensboro Plaza and 34 St-Hudson Yards: Mar 5-6, 12-14, 26-28

(7) Reduced service: Mar 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, 26-28

(A) No service to Far Rockaway; Operates to Beach-116 St and replaces the Rockaway (S) : Mar 4-7 

(A) No service to JFK and the Rockaways; Only operates between Manhattan and Lefferts Blvd: Mar 19-20, 26-27

(A)(C) Manhattan-bound service runs via Rutgers tunnel: Mar 4-7

(A)(C) Uptown service runs express from Canal St to 125 St: Mar 18-21

(D) Coney Island-bound service is local in Brooklyn: Mar 18-21, 25-28

(E)(R) Manhattan-bound service is express in Queens: Mar 26-28

(E)(F) Service is local in Queens: Mar 26-28

(F) Jamaica-bound service runs via 53 St: Mar 4-7

(F) Brooklyn-bound service runs via 53 St, 8 Av and Cranberry tunnel: Mar 11-14; (Jamaica-bound service does the same routing the weekend of Mar 25-28)

(F) No service between Church Av and Coney Island: Mar 4-7, 11-14, 18-21, 25-28

(J) No service between Chambers St and Broad St: Mar 4-7, 25-28

(J) No service between Crescent St and Jamaica Center/Parsons-Archer: Mar 12-13, 19-20

(L) No service between Broadway Junction and Rockaway Parkway: Mar 5-6, 12-13, 19-20, 26-27

(N) Service is local in Brooklyn: Mar 4-7, 11-14, 18-21, 25-28

(N) Reduced service; Single-tracking at Queensboro Plaza; Trains operate every 15 minutes: Mar 19-20

(Q) Downtown service is local in Manhattan; still operates via Bridge: Mar 5-7, 12-14, 26-28

(S) 42 Street operates overnight: Mar 5-7, 12-14, 19-21, 26-28

(S) Rockaway Park: Service is replaced by the (A): Mar 4-7, Suspended: Mar 19-20, 26-27

(W) Operates to supplement the (7) Note: Service only operates between Astoria and 34 Street-Herald Sq with Uptown trains skipping 49 St: Mar 5-6, 12-13, 26-27

Reminder: Changes are sometimes added or cancelled last-minute, so make a good habit to check the (MTA)‘s planned service changes page frequently.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So the (W) is running between Astoria & 34th St every 20 minutes…

At that rate, why not just send select (Q) trains to Astoria? 

Running the (W) is less confusing and the (Q) usually runs every 10 minutes on weekends so sending select (Q) trains to Astoria would be an service cut for SAS.

12 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Just wondering, since there is no downtown (F) train service along 6th Ave this weekend why didn’t the (D) run local along 6th downtown?

Given that their explanation for it is "communication improvements", it seems that whatever type of work they're doing is being done somewhere around that area (if it was just isolated to 63rd Street, then they wouldn't have downtown (F) trains running on the (E) ). It also could be that they might be taking advantage of that work to do something else on the local track and at local stations (like cleaning and/or other repairs). 

All that being said though, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised though, if they just didn't want to replace the (F) with anything, if it happens to be the case that there's nothing going on in that area. After all, having (D) trains stop at 14th Street and 23rd Streets cost a lot of money, LOL. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

All that being said though, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised though, if they just didn't want to replace the (F) with anything, if it happens to be the case that there's nothing going on in that area. After all, having (D) trains stop at 14th Street and 23rd Streets cost a lot of money, LOL. 

They're also doing work on the 6th Avenue Local Tracks southbound.