Planned Subway Service Changes

No (Q) between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St-7 Av

Nov 11 - 14 and Nov 18 - 21, Fri 9:45 PM to Mon 5:00 AM

(Q) trains run in two sections:

1. Between 96 St and Lexington Av/63 St every 15 minutes days and evenings

2. Between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and 57 St-7 Av and via the (N)to/from Astoria-Ditmars Blvd every 12 minutes days and evenings

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extra Service

(C) replaces the (D) between 145 St and Norwood-205 St  
Nov 5, Saturday, 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM

What's happening?

Urgent track repairs

Posted: 11/01/2022 01:18PM

Planned - Part Suspended

No (D) between Norwood-205 St and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr

(D) trains run in Brooklyn between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.

(C) trains replace the (D) between 145 St and Norwood-205 St.

Shuttle Bus Free shuttle buses run between W 4 St-Wash Sq and Grand St, stopping at Broadway-Lafayette St.

Travel Alternatives:
For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the (2)(3)(N)(Q) or (R).  
For service in the Bronx, take the (C).

In Manhattan:

Take the (A)(C) between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 145 St
For stations along 6 Av and Broadway-Lafayette St, take the (F) or use nearby (N)(Q)(R) stations along Broadway. 
For 7 Av, take the (E)
For Grand St, take a Shuttle Bus bus or use the nearby Canal St (N)(Q)(R) station.
Transfer between trains at the following stations:
145 St (A)(C)
Times Sq-42 St/42 St-Port Authority Bus Terminal (2)(3)(A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)
34 St-Herald Sq Accessbility | (F)(N)(Q)(R)
W 4 St-Wash Sq Accessbility | (A)(C)(E)(F) Shuttle Bus
Fulton St Accessbility | (2)(3), uptown (A)(C)
Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr Accessbility | (2)(3)(D)(N)(Q)(R)

What's happening?

Urgent track repairs

Accessbility This service change affects one or more ADA accessible stations and these travel alternatives may not be fully accessible. Please contact 511 to plan your trip.

Posted: 11/01/2022 01:35PM

Only for a few hours which is strange, but I guess I can't complain.

Edited by Vulturious
Just realized how long it actually is.

19 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Extra Service

What's happening?

Urgent track repairs

Planned - Part Suspended

(D) trains run in Brooklyn between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.

Shuttle Bus Free shuttle buses run between W 4 St-Wash Sq and Grand St, stopping at Broadway-Lafayette St.

Travel Alternatives:

In Manhattan:

For stations along 6 Av and Broadway-Lafayette St, take the (F) or use nearby (N)(Q)(R) stations along Broadway. 
For 7 Av, take the (E)
For Grand St, take a Shuttle Bus bus or use the nearby Canal St (N)(Q)(R) station.
145 St (A)(C)

What's happening?

Urgent track repairs

Accessbility This service change affects one or more ADA accessible stations and these travel alternatives may not be fully accessible. Please contact 511 to plan your trip.

These repairs must be in multiple locations then, because normally, if:

1. Manhattan Bridge is closed: suspend the (D) between Manhattan and Brooklyn and run the (D) from 34 St to Norwood-205 St

2. tracks between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 34 St-Herald Sq are out: run the (D) via 8 Av to World Trade Center or 2 Av (north section)

3. Tail tracks at 168 St are out: run the (C) only from Euclid Av to 145 St. 

On 10/30/2022 at 2:26 AM, Maxwell179 said:

No (Q) between Lexington Av/63 St and 57 St-7 Av

Nov 11 - 14 and Nov 18 - 21, Fri 9:45 PM to Mon 5:00 AM

(Q) trains run in two sections:

1. Between 96 St and Lexington Av/63 St every 15 minutes days and evenings

2. Between Coney Island-Stillwell Av and 57 St-7 Av and via the (N)to/from Astoria-Ditmars Blvd every 12 minutes days and evenings

This split (Q) GO will continue to early December (December 2nd to 5th). There must be some serious track replacement in the 63 St connector or 2 Av Subway, because the following two weekends, the Manhattan/Brooklyn segment of the (Q) will be cut back to Times Sq-42 St.

12 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

These repairs must be in multiple locations then, because normally, if:

1. Manhattan Bridge is closed: suspend the (D) between Manhattan and Brooklyn and run the (D) from 34 St to Norwood-205 St

2. tracks between 59 St-Columbus Circle and 34 St-Herald Sq are out: run the (D) via 8 Av to World Trade Center or 2 Av (north section)

3. Tail tracks at 168 St are out: run the (C) only from Euclid Av to 145 St. 

It's only happenng on Saturday from 8:30 to 3pm. Whatever it is, they want it done ASAP.

I also wonder why they wouldn't do it overnight on Saturday and supplement with extra (A) trains on CPW and shuttle buses on Concourse.

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

On 11/1/2022 at 3:03 PM, Vulturious said:

Extra Service

What's happening?

Urgent track repairs

Planned - Part Suspended

Travel Alternatives:

In Manhattan:

For 7 Av, take the (E)
145 St (A)(C)

What's happening?

Urgent track repairs

Seems like they have their hands full with that concourse reconstruction.

1 hour ago, JustTheSIR said:

What type of plans were made for the N to QBL?

I’m scared I’ll lose my one-seat to Whitehall

It was going to be weekend service changes for about 10 weekends because of construction at Queensboro Plaza. (R) trains would've been cut back (forgot where) with (N) trains replacing (R) service into Queens. 

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

It was going to be weekend service changes for about 10 weekends because of construction at Queensboro Plaza. (R) trains would've been cut back (forgot where) with (N) trains replacing (R) service into Queens. 

IF and ONLY IF this (N) to 71 Av GO happens, then I think both the (N) and (R) would run together from 71 Av to Manhattan. No other work would be able to be done on QB, unless it was east of 71 Av, since both express tracks and both local tracks must remain open (express for (E)(F) and local for (N)(R)). But I think the GO should just have the (N) cut back from Astoria to Times Sq-42 St, and run the appropriate alternatives, so that way we don't mess with the (R) and likely necessary QB GOs, and you wouldn't need to swap cars around for the change, since you would need too switch all the (N)'s R68s for R160s loaned from Jamaica, then switch them all back before the GO ends.

Just now, darkstar8983 said:

IF and ONLY IF this (N) to 71 Av GO happens, then I think both the (N) and (R) would run together from 71 Av to Manhattan. No other work would be able to be done on QB, unless it was east of 71 Av, since both express tracks and both local tracks must remain open (express for (E)(F) and local for (N)(R)). But I think the GO should just have the (N) cut back from Astoria to Times Sq-42 St, and run the appropriate alternatives, so that way we don't mess with the (R) and likely necessary QB GOs, and you wouldn't need to swap cars around for the change, since you would need too switch all the (N)'s R68s for R160s loaned from Jamaica, then switch them all back before the GO ends.

Isn’t the (R) split between Jamaica and CIY?

12 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Again, I'm not sure if it's even confirmed the MTA would go with the QBL (N) GO yet (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). If it were to happen, I don't think the (R)would be cut back.

A reminder that there were two proposals, the first of which work were to cut back (N) and (7) for 10 weekends straight, with the (N) running via the QBL and a shuttle (N) operating between Ditmars Blvd and 39 Av. The (7) will be cut from 74-Broadway to 34-Hudson Yards.

The other proposal was to cut (7) between Queensboro Plaza and 34-Hudson for 8 weekends, then the (N) to be cut from Ditmars to Queensboro Plaza for the next 4 weekends, then between Queensboro Plaza to Times Sq-42 the next 4 weekends.

Shuttle buses will run where applicable for both proposals.

56 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Again, I'm not sure if it's even confirmed the MTA would go with the QBL (N) GO yet (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). If it were to happen, I don't think the (R)would be cut back.

A reminder that there were two proposals, the first of which work were to cut back (N) and (7) for 10 weekends straight, with the (N) running via the QBL and a shuttle (N) operating between Ditmars Blvd and 39 Av. The (7) will be cut from 74-Broadway to 34-Hudson Yards.

The other proposal was to cut (7) between Queensboro Plaza and 34-Hudson for 8 weekends, then the (N) to be cut from Ditmars to Queensboro Plaza for the next 4 weekends, then between Queensboro Plaza to Times Sq-42 the next 4 weekends.

Shuttle buses will run where applicable for both proposals.

If the work is only really at Queensboro Plaza, why don't they do a split (7) as follows:

1. 34 St-Hudson Yards to Court Square**

2. 33 St-Rawson to Flushing Main St

*would follow the same logic as the (N) shuttle, unless it would be beneficial to not run pocket shuttles that have no yard access (Astoria-39 Av shuttle) and just run the (N) from Coney Island to Times Sq-42 St only. 

**Additional (E) trains could cover the suspended (7) train sections by connecting them via 74 St-Broadway, and this way, you do not need all those shuttle buses all over 74 St-Broadway, under Roosevelt Av, or Queens Blvd. And there's a direct link between the 33 St Station and Court Square via Thompson Av near LaGCC. At Queensboro, you'd have the shuttle buses anyway connecting the Astoria shuttles (either buses or trains) to Court Square or Queens Plaza.

Edited by darkstar8983

7 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

If the work is only really at Queensboro Plaza, why don't they do a split (7) as follows:

1. 34 St-Hudson Yards to Court Square

2. 33 St-Rawson to Flushing Main St

*would follow the same logic as the (N) shuttle, unless it would be beneficial to not run pocket shuttles that have no yard access (Astoria-39 Av shuttle) and just run the (N) from Coney Island to Times Sq-42 St only. 

terminating at 33rd would require the train to relay, and the amount of distance west the train would need to travel would violate the power off zone for the GO. not gonna happen. 

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

terminating at 33rd would require the train to relay, and the amount of distance west the train would need to travel would violate the power off zone for the GO. not gonna happen. 

oops. sorry i didn't know - was just going off the (N) train GO was doing, and the (N) shuttle would have had to relay south of 39 Av too, right on the curve (or right before it) at Queensboro Plaza. I thought it was feasible.

And I am aware of the long relay at Woodside-61 St between that station and 74 St-Broadway, which is why that relay was not possible, even if the advantage was to connect to the LIRR and have the (7) shuttle terminate at Woodside-61 St from Main St (and the unfortunate consequence of bypassing 69 St in both directions).

Edited by darkstar8983

The (R) can run with the (N) if the (N) goes to forest hills during those weekends. There are more than enough R160s laid up on the weekends that could be used on the (N) for weekend service. The (E)(F) and (R) all have trains laid up during the weekend, They could use most of those laid up trains which should be enough to cover weekend (N) service. The (F) has lay ups in ave X yard that they can use as well.

Edited by R32 3838

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Okay, the GO paperwork is out, the emergency GO for the Delta is an expansion joint on the Manhattan Bridge. I'm still not sure why they don't run split service from 205/BPB to 34th. 

Maybe crew shortages and they figured the (C) is already cut back to 145 St middle track, so might as well extend the (C) uptown. Equipment availability on the (C) and (D) that weekend will be interesting since the (C) will need R68s from Concourse, then need to be switched back to the (D), and vice versa for the R46s. 

4 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

As I understand it, the N would operate between Ditmars and 39th in a fashion much like the M when the Myrtle Viaduct was closed. Absolute block shuttles on single track operations. The 7 would never work for that.

I dont think so - the signals are not in place for that operation. The (N) shuttle will use its regular tracks in the canonical direction, just relay on the curve. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

The (R) can run with the (N) if the (N) goes to forest hills during those weekends. There are more than enough R160s laid up on the weekends that could be used on the (N) for weekend service. The (E)(F) and (R) all have trains laid up during the weekend, They could use most of those laid up trains which should be enough to cover weekend (N) service. The (F) has lay ups in ave X yard that they can use as well.

Ah, yes, rush hour chaos on a saturday the moment something goes wrong... Ridership numbers say we only need one of the two and in the circumstances, the N wins.

8 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Maybe crew shortages and they figured the (C) is already cut back to 145 St middle track, so might as well extend the (C) uptown. Equipment availability on the (C) and (D) that weekend will be interesting since the (C) will need R68s from Concourse, then need to be switched back to the (D), and vice versa for the R46s. 

The A is already cut short as well, so we will have extra R46s and maybe even a 10 car 179 or two. All I know is there is no direct supplmental service plan for this GO.

6 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

I dont think so - the signals are not in place for that operation. The (N) shuttle will use its regular tracks in the canonical direction, just relay on the curve. 

The A and L have both operated recently with single track, absolute block shuttles. Never say never.