Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/4/2023 at 3:06 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Where would the crews come from? Are (N) crews CBTC trained?

To run the (N) that far out of the way you would need the same number of crews you'd use for weekday (N) service (increased route length PLUS a shuttle (N) in Astoria). might as well just cut the (N) back to Times Square and run shuttle buses from Queensboro Plaza to Ditmars Blvd and not mix QB with the GO. You all know I am all FOR R160s back on the (N) but I don t think this GO will work like it did back in the Bush Era 2004 last time it was done. 

Things like this are the entire reason Extra List and “Extra Extra” List (what I am) are things. We go where we’re needed, when we’re needed. Also, many people choose to work six day weeks.

Also, crews whose jobs are cut short can be transferred for the day.

these things happen all the time.

41 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Things like this are the entire reason Extra List and “Extra Extra” List (what I am) are things. We go where we’re needed, when we’re needed. Also, many people choose to work six day weeks.

Also, crews whose jobs are cut short can be transferred for the day.

these things happen all the time.

Ohh. Maybe those extra extras are the conductors who carry around the route map for the route they’re working that day because they don’t know the route as well as their home route 

31 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Ohh. Maybe those extra extras are the conductors who carry around the route map for the route they’re working that day because they don’t know the route as well as their home route 

… no… because extra and extra extra list crews don’t have a home line.

literally the only thing as an “XX” I am limited to is the B division non-OPTO.

XL have picked into one of the districts but they are still available if their tour and RDOs match the job.

Concerning the (4) train GO, I would have just ran the (5) every 8 minutes between Eastchester-Dyre Av and Bowling Green the whole weekend (8 minute headway until 8PM, then standard 12-20 minutes easing into night service), rather than having the truncated (4) and on top of that, half of those (4) trains just duplicating the (5) anyways. The (D) is also providing full concourse service too, so that would provide a good alternative to Jerome Av, along with maybe a shuttle bus between Woodlawn and Bedford Park Blvd 

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Concerning the (4) train GO, I would have just ran the (5) every 8 minutes between Eastchester-Dyre Av and Bowling Green the whole weekend (8 minute headway until 8PM, then standard 12-20 minutes easing into night service), rather than having the truncated (4) and on top of that, half of those (4) trains just duplicating the (5) anyways. The (D) is also providing full concourse service too, so that would provide a good alternative to Jerome Av, along with maybe a shuttle bus between Woodlawn and Bedford Park Blvd 

What (4) G.O?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So on Presidents’ Day week, they are replacing the switches at 42nd St which will have downtown (E) train runs via 6th Ave, but the (M) is completely suspended between Essex St & 71 Ave, instead running to Chambers St. Why is the (M) being affected by this?

Where are you seeing this?

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So on Presidents’ Day week, they are replacing the switches at 42nd St which will have downtown (E) train runs via 6th Ave, but the (M) is completely suspended between Essex St & 71 Ave, instead running to Chambers St. Why is the (M) being affected by this?

Right now on the app I only see the (E) service change.

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

There’s likely no room for the (E)(F) and (M) all on 6 Av. The 53 St tunnel GO this past Christmas showed that there was not enough capacity for the (E) and (F) via 63 St and 6 Av, so now imagine running the (M) on top of that.

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Ah I see now…

looks like the downtown local track (and the switch the (E) would use to reach the downtown express track) is not in service 

Still doesn’t explain why the (M) is getting cut back. I could understand if every other (M) would end at Essex St/Chambers St to provide capacity for the downtown (E) but cutting the entire (M) north of Essex?

And what’s happening with the (B)

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Still doesn’t explain why the (M) is getting cut back. I could understand if every other (M) would end at Essex St/Chambers St to provide capacity for the downtown (E) but cutting the entire (M) north of Essex?

If the (E) and (F) are scheduled at 15 tph apiece and the (M) is scheduled for 7-10, how many trains would you get?

5 hours ago, Lex said:

If the (E) and (F) are scheduled at 15 tph apiece and the (M) is scheduled for 7-10, how many trains would you get?

This may sound stupid, but have the northbound (M) operate at regular frequency and the southbound (M) every 12 minutes. Extend the (R) to 179th St so the (M) does not clog up the Forest Hills relay.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

This may sound stupid, but have the northbound (M) operate at regular frequency and the southbound (M) every 12 minutes. Extend the (R) to 179th St so the (M) does not clog up the Forest Hills relay.

What, exactly, does "apiece" mean to you, and can you add?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

It breaks the laws of physics. 15 + 15 + 5 is 35 TPH, or roughly a train every 100 seconds. Sixth avenue can’t handle that.

northbound Ms run normal, southbound Ms run about half as often… so what are you going to do with the extra trains and extra M crews?

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

It breaks the laws of physics. 15 + 15 + 5 is 35 TPH, or roughly a train every 100 seconds. Sixth avenue can’t handle that.

northbound Ms run normal, southbound Ms run about half as often… so what are you going to do with the extra trains and extra M crews?

the problem (even if there was enough room for 5 TPH on the (M) southbound) is that even though the northbound (M) has enough capacity, you cannot turn those extra trains back around until after the rush hour and therefore would need extra trainsets to run regular consistent service northbound. To reduce this complexity, might as well just run the proposed (M) to Chambers and have the GO setup the way it is. 

However, to mitigate the service loss to 53 St, the (F) train rush hours in the peak direction (likely the Kings Highway trips) are running via 53 St, leaving 63 St with just the thru Coney Island trips every 8-10 minutes

Beginning Sunday, February 26 at 10 pm up through August 2023, Jamaica-bound (J)(Z) trains will skip 75 St-Elderts Lane and Woodhaven Blvd all times. Reasons stated for 75 St is "Station improvements" which I think means renovations while Woodhaven Blvd gets "Accessibility improvements" (aka elevator installations) and maybe renovations too. The MTA last renovated a station along the line before the pandemic (111 St in around 2018).

EDIT: Now that I think about it, does that mean Jamaica-bound (Z) will skip all stops between Crescent St and 104 St (since it only stops at 75 St and Woodhaven) or will it make all stops? The MTA makes no reference of suspending skip-stop nor the (Z) making all stops during the time period.

Edited by CyclonicTrainLookout