Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Would it be cheaper to extend the (G) to Forest Hills instead of having extra (R) service?

Honestly no, (G) trains would need not just longer length trains, but extra trains overall to compensate the long extension from Court Square to Forest Hills. While riders would at least be able to catch a train, I doubt there are enough trains overall to really make anymore of a difference compared to increased (R) service. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Honestly they chose the wrong time to be doing all these Queens G.O’s at once. You got the <7> missing and overcrowded (7)‘s, you got no (M), the (E) has issues of its own, and the (R) is well…the (R).

The (R) will just be at capacity now, and extra rush hour trips will be needed in the peak direction (towards Bay Ridge AM and towards 71 Av PM). Question is where will these extra trains lay up, or will the (R) run every 8 minutes middays like the (E)(F)?

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The (R) will just be at capacity now, and extra rush hour trips will be needed in the peak direction (towards Bay Ridge AM and towards 71 Av PM). Question is where will these extra trains lay up, or will the (R) run every 8 minutes middays like the (E)(F)?

i wouldnt be suprised if they short turned or extended some R's to 179 or jamaica Center

16 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Honestly no, (G) trains would need not just longer length trains, but extra trains overall to compensate the long extension from Court Square to Forest Hills. While riders would at least be able to catch a train, I doubt there are enough trains overall to really make anymore of a difference compared to increased (R) service. 

And it's also been noted CBTC issues would make it more difficult for the (G) to do it anyway.

I would look if possible to in this scenario have the (E) and (F) run express at all times (except late nights) to their respective destinations and have the (R) also go to 179 (except late nights), eliminating the need for 71-Continental to be a terminal during this.  

This, however, is the scenario I would use:

(E) and (Q) run as they do now

(F) runs on 53rd as a QB local between Queens Plaza and 179 at all times

(R) moves to Nassau <R> and ends at Essex Street on the (J) 

(M) runs as planned to 57th/6th weekdays. Nights and weekends a shuttle runs between 47-50th and 57th/6th (old late-night (B) shuttle)

(N) runs express on Broadway and via 63rd to QBL, where it runs as an express to 179 in place of the (F) at all times (no (F) shuttle on 63rd)

(W) becomes full-time (at least 19/7) and runs Whitehall-Astoria with some trains ending and beginning on the Tunnel Level of Canal Street.

If necessary, a new "Yellow (V)" operates between Bay Parkway on the  (D) and Astoria as a Broadway Local.  This "Yellow (V)" can replace the (W) late nights as well, at those hours running from 9th Avenue on the (D) to Astoria. 

17 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

And it's also been noted CBTC issues would make it more difficult for the (G) to do it anyway.

I would look if possible to in this scenario have the (E) and (F) run express at all times (except late nights) to their respective destinations and have the (R) also go to 179 (except late nights), eliminating the need for 71-Continental to be a terminal during this.  

(M) runs as planned to 57th/6th weekdays. Nights and weekends a shuttle runs between 47-50th and 57th/6th (old late-night (B) shuttle)

(N) runs express on Broadway and via 63rd to QBL, where it runs as an express to 179 in place of the (F) at all times (no (F) shuttle on 63rd)

(W) becomes full-time (at least 19/7) and runs Whitehall-Astoria with some trains ending and beginning on the Tunnel Level of Canal Street.

If necessary, a new "Yellow (V)" operates between Bay Parkway on the  (D) and Astoria as a Broadway Local.  This "Yellow (V)" can replace the (W) late nights as well, at those hours running from 9th Avenue on the (D) to Astoria. 

Top can work

Bottom. No just. No 

What would be the point in moving the R to Nassau and a yellow V when you already have the W.

Leave the terminals as is we talking about QBL not Brooklyn or Astoria 

Edited by nightmare402

33 minutes ago, Wallyhorse said:

Hold on here.  Isn't the whole point that 63rd St is closed?  How are you sending the N via 63rd St? 

On 8/6/2023 at 6:37 PM, darkstar8983 said:

😂😂😂😂 WALKING.

But yeah it’s a shame that the (M) can’t run past 9PM because of all these reroutes that have to use 6 Av or in case the (D)(F) have to run via 8 Av or Broadway. The (M) at least would have a stable terminal when there is a GO suspending the (L) between Manhattan and Brooklyn and wouldn’t have to interfere with the (Q).

Due to the route shortening, expect the (M) to become much more reliable despite its rush hour frequency reduction, since it doesn’t need to merge with the (E)(R), and hopefully, the 53 St tunnel won’t be subjected to slowdowns since the expresses have already merged and the (R) won’t be blocked off by merging (M) trains

And I thought the (L) had a rebuilding project on the Canarsie Tunnel. Who knows. It's just the (M) train we are talking about.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:37 PM, darkstar8983 said:

😂😂😂😂 WALKING.

But yeah it’s a shame that the (M) can’t run past 9PM because of all these reroutes that have to use 6 Av or in case the (D)(F) have to run via 8 Av or Broadway. The (M) at least would have a stable terminal when there is a GO suspending the (L) between Manhattan and Brooklyn and wouldn’t have to interfere with the (Q).

Due to the route shortening, expect the (M) to become much more reliable despite its rush hour frequency reduction, since it doesn’t need to merge with the (E)(R), and hopefully, the 53 St tunnel won’t be subjected to slowdowns since the expresses have already merged and the (R) won’t be blocked off by merging (M) trains

you cant run the F via broadway, you need the 63rd tube to be open for that. Why would the D go via broadway?

M probably more reliable like the split R.

Edited by nightmare402

2 hours ago, nightmare402 said:

you cant run the F via broadway, you need the 63rd tube to be open for that. Why would the D go via broadway?

Smh. I'm pretty sure he is aware of that. He was just speaking in general.

Anyway, the (M) during the AM Rush out of Met sure does get packed before reaching Myrtle-B'way and remain so all the way into Midtown. Hopefully in the future, they have more cars to increase service and evenly match the 5-minute headway on the (J)(Z) during that timeframe as well.

4 hours ago, zacster said:

Hold on here.  Isn't the whole point that 63rd St is closed?  How are you sending the N via 63rd St? 

(N) would be with the (Q) on 63tf from 57th Street-7th Avenue, which IS operating normally.

It's specifically the area from 57th-6th Avenue and 63rd-Lex.  That is closed off for work. 

5 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

I should have added late nights and weekends, in this scenario this <R> would be extended to Metropolitan Avenue, absorbing the night and weekend (M) shuttles during those times on this GO.  

4 hours ago, Jemorie said:

Smh. I'm pretty sure he is aware of that. He was just speaking in general.

Anyway, the (M) during the AM Rush out of Met sure does get packed before reaching Myrtle-B'way and remain so all the way into Midtown. Hopefully in the future, they have more cars to increase service and evenly match the 5-minute headway on the (J)(Z) during that timeframe as well.

4 hours ago, zacster said:

Yes you can, you can run it via 60th St. 

Thanks for backing me up @Jemorieand @zacster. Just didn’t feel like spelling EVERYTHING out, but this is what I mean by (D)(F) reroutes. 

I agree with the availability of extra cars, which will be possible with the 32 R211s as 8-car trains proposed and the shift of all 8-car R179 trains to ENY when the R211 order is close to completion, so that on paper, all R179 for the (J) + some spare R143s from the (L), all R143s and all R160s below 8400 for the (J)(L), and all remaining R160s for the (M) (8401-8652 + 9943-9974), and the R211s either for the (L) or (M)

6 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

(N) would be with the (Q) on 63tf from 57th Street-7th Avenue, which IS operating normally.

It's specifically the area from 57th-6th Avenue and 63rd-Lex.  That is closed off for work. 

That is not true at all. 63rd Street Tunnel will be singled tracked the entire way from 63rd to Queensbridge. It will be completely shut between Lex/63rd and 57/6th

Why else do you think the MTA is running a shuttle train every 20 min? It’s because they are running one set of trains back and forth