Planned Subway Service Changes

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

That happened nearly 5 years ago when (1)(2)(3) service was cut for a few weekends south of 96th Street. (M) Trains were sent to 145th to supplement service in Manhattan.

There was also a GO those two weekends taking out T1/B5 track from the 63rd street cut down through to 47-50th, so 96th and 57th were out of the question anyway.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also remember just before the covid lockdowns, the (M) was extended to 168th Street, but it was to replace the (C) train for some reason that's blanking on me at this point. What I do know is that it was the circumstances of that particular G.O. which led to that service pattern. This was also when the (M) was regularly going to 96th on weekends. 

Either way, getting the (M) involved in something that has nothing to do with it is unwarranted. Even if the (N) operate every 10 or so minutes on weekends, that means that Astoria riders would be seeing less service than what's proposed under the G.O., if you split up the route to two terminals. That's not to prioritize Astoria riders over everyone else, it's just that there's a lot going on simultaneously. Given everything else that's going on, the 15 minute headway is the least bad scenario.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

34 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I also remember just before the covid lockdowns, the (M) was extended to 168th Street, but it was to replace the (C) train for some reason that's blanking on me at this point. What I do know is that it was the circumstances of that particular G.O. which led to that service pattern. This was also when the (M) was regularly going to 96th on weekends. 

Either way, getting the (M) involved in something that has nothing to do with it is unwarranted. Even if the (N) operate every 10 or so minutes on weekends, that means that Astoria riders would be seeing less service than what's proposed under the G.O., if you split up the route to two terminals. That's not to prioritize Astoria riders over everyone else, it's just that there's a lot going on simultaneously. Given everything else that's going on, the 15 minute headway is the least bad scenario.

IIRC, work was being done south of 59th as the (A) ran via the (D) from 59th to West 4th and (E) Trains ran via the (R) to Whitehall. The GO was on March 13-16, 2020, just before the stay at home order was implemented.

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The (M) to 168 St GO was because 8 Av was closed, and the (A)(C)(D)(F)(M) all had to run via 6 Av, with the (A)(C)(F)(M) all sharing the local track between 34 St and W 4 St. The (E) ran via Broadway to Whitehall St. Since the  (M) was needed on 6 Av due to the (L) train work, and 3 routes were needed on CPW, they combined the (C) and (M) into the (M) to 168’St and the (A) had to run local in Brooklyn to make room. No more than 15-17 TPH on a single track on weekends.

Edited by darkstar8983

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Does anyone know what they're doing that's causing late night (E) service to be rerouted in such a weird way that NB service runs from 2nd Av to 36th St via 8th Av and SB runs from 36th to 2nd Av via 6th Av?

Probably two work zones:

1. 53 St Tunnel (hence the via 63 St / 6 Av reroute). 
2. work at World Trade Center, or the West 4 St switch southbound can’t be used. Northbound there’s likely no work going on, so the (E) can resume regular service via 8 Av after West 4 St

Starting Friday, April 19th at 9:45 PM up to Monday, April 29th at 5 AM, the (5) will not run along the Esplande (between Morris Park and Dyre Av). 

(5) trains runs between E 180 St and Flatbush Av (weekdays) or Bowling Green (evenings and weekends). Midnight 5-car Shuttle service will be cancelled at that time. 

Weekday express rush hour service will continue to run in peak direction in the Bronx, with some trains operating to/from Nereid Av.

This G/O will happen as they are replacing tracks. 

* The (5) Shuttle bus will be known as the Bx90 

E 180 St stop -> Morris Park Ave at E 180 St

Morris Park 
Bx90 Morris Park Ave at Hone Ave

Bx90 Williamsbridge Rd at Neill Ave

Pelham Pkwy 
Bx90 Williamsbridge Rd at Pelham Pkwy South

Bx90 Williamsbridge Rd at Pelham Pkwy North

Bx12 to Pelham Pkwy  station - Pelham Pkwy North at Williamsbridge Rd

Gun Hill Rd 
Bx90 Gun Hill Rd at DeWitt Pl (to E 180 St)

Bx90 Gun Hill Rd at Knapp St (to Dyre Av)

Bx28/Bx38 to Gun Hill Rd  station - Gun Hill Rd at Seymour Ave

Baychester Av 
Bx90 Boston Rd at Baychester Ave or Bx30 to Pelham Pkwy  station

Eastchester - Dyre Av stop ->  Dyre Ave at Light St

Transfer: Bx16 to Nereid Av (2) station