Why are their no mta buses or trains that travel across the Brooklyn Bridge

kingal11234

Makes sense for RTSs then since they are 10' 6". I wonder what the height limit on the bridge is then

actually RTS diesels are 9'10" tall basically physically you can't use express MCIs or prevosts over the bridge. Besides unless the downtown brooklyn route is going to yorkville or an area by fdr not near subway it will fail anyway. Ohh 2nd ave subway will make that bus route look redundant. Besides noone really cares if a bus doesn't use the brooklyn bridge subway has us covered.

actually RTS diesels are 9'10" tall basically physically you can't use express MCIs or prevosts over the bridge. Besides unless the downtown brooklyn route is going to yorkville or an area by fdr not near subway it will fail anyway. Ohh 2nd ave subway will make that bus route look redundant. Besides noone really cares if a bus doesn't use the brooklyn bridge subway has us covered.

All I posted was about the height of an RTS, where the hell you get all this other irrelevant crap from.

How many riders? Remember that a single IRT subway train carries 1,100 people at the rush hour guideline.

I meant more riders than the B51 or however little riders people fear such a route would draw. There are a lot of people would rather take a bus than the train, especially if it's not as crowded. (I used to work with one older lady, who could only use the B51. Good thing she retired before they cut it!)

The height is actually 9"10'

You completely avoided what was trying to say...all I stated was the height (which is in fact 10' 6") and you go on with this...

I did not ask for that crap...

I meant more riders than the B51 or however little riders people fear such a route would draw. There are a lot of people would rather take a bus than the train, especially if it's not as crowded. (I used to work with one older lady, who could only use the B51. Good thing she retired before they cut it!)

The B51 carried 900 passengers per weekday (it didn't run weekends) before it was canceled. If reducing the travel time would generate a 20% ridership boost, the B51 would still carry less than one IRT trainload over the course of an entire day.

To put that number in perspective, I downloaded the 2007 cordon counts (the most recent that seem to be available, due to an outage of the NYMTC website). Open Appendix III and look at the bus and subway data. Over 24 hours, 516 passengers rode buses into Manhattan over the Manhattan Bridge. During that same time period, 177,959 passengers rode trains into Manhattan over the Manhattan Bridge, 114,317 entered via the Cranberry Tunnel, 67,423 entered via the Clark Tunnel, 31,471 entered via the Montague Tunnel, and 95,328 entered via the Joralemon Tunnel.

I would suggest that providing duplicative bus service to a relatively tiny number of riders is not a worthwhile expenditure of limited transit funds.

The B51 carried 900 passengers per weekday (it didn't run weekends) before it was canceled. If reducing the travel time would generate a 20% ridership boost, the B51 would still carry less than one IRT trainload over the course of an entire day.

To put that number in perspective, I downloaded the 2007 cordon counts (the most recent that seem to be available, due to an outage of the NYMTC website). Open Appendix III and look at the bus and subway data. Over 24 hours, 516 passengers rode buses into Manhattan over the Manhattan Bridge. During that same time period, 177,959 passengers rode trains into Manhattan over the Manhattan Bridge, 114,317 entered via the Cranberry Tunnel, 67,423 entered via the Clark Tunnel, 31,471 entered via the Montague Tunnel, and 95,328 entered via the Joralemon Tunnel.

I would suggest that providing duplicative bus service to a relatively tiny number of riders is not a worthwhile expenditure of limited transit funds.

It really doesn't cost that much to send one or two buses back and forth over a bridge though. That's why they are bringing the B39 back.

• 2 months later...

The MTA saved $0.8 million annually by cutting the B51. That's a substantial chunk of change.

The MTA saved $0.8 million annually by cutting the B51. That's a substantial chunk of change.

The MTA should have just combined the B51 with the B75. That would have been better than cutting the service

Most likely because the Brooklyn Bridge is the oldest bridge in New York, and it isnt structurally fit for the weight of buses to be continually running across thats probably why the city stopped letting trains across the bridge and alsobecause the buses are too large for the buses to pass through and the roadway is full of potholes

lolwut.

There are still people who go out of the way to use cabs and taxis. Not everyone in Manhattan uses mass transit, maybe at least once.

thats why I laugh at em when cabbie turns em down saying I ain't doing brooklyn. Again even if a bus used brooklyn bridge nobody would use it anyway. Especially since there are too many options.

• 1 month later...

Remember the Brooklyn Bridge is almost 130 years old, I'm still surprised that its still taking cars, plus there are bars over the roadways that set a height limit, so buses and trucks definitely cannot pass through, and either way they are too heavy for the structure, that could also be on the of the reasons why trains dont run there anymore either

Remember the Brooklyn Bridge is almost 130 years old, I'm still surprised that its still taking cars, plus there are bars over the roadways that set a height limit, so buses and trucks definitely cannot pass through, and either way they are too heavy for the structure, that could also be on the of the reasons why trains dont run there anymore either

TRAINS would bring the wholestructure down

Archived