Proposed New Mall At Whitestone Cinemas that could affect (Bx5, Q44, Q50)

GreatOne2k

Lightstone Group has purchased the Whitestone Cinemas site and is considering options for retail development. An outlet mall which could compete with Woodbury Common.

http://www.nytimes.c...&pagewanted=all

At the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Midtown, where on Thursday morning lines of tourists boarded 55-seat buses leaving for Woodbury Common every 20 minutes, many said they would welcome the convenience of an outlet mall in the Bronx. A round-trip ticket for an adult costs $42, and the trip takes at least an hour each way, longer at rush hour.

Though some said they had never set foot in the Bronx — let alone pictured it as a mecca for upscale retail — they reasoned that if it was good enough for the Yankees and Jennifer Lopez, it was surely good enough for Prada and Louis Vuitton.

“Love J-Lo, very fashionable,” said Tammy Bevcar, an operations manager in her 40s from Toronto. “I would definitely go.” [/Quote]

http://observer.com/...t-bronx-outlet/

The site of the outlet mall is not exactly close, but it is accessible via public bus and is about a mile from the nearest subway station. (Shoppers will need to bring their wheeled suitcases, which The Times notes are already common carry-ons on the $42 bus to Woodbridge Common.)

[/Quote]

http://www.examiner....?cid=roadrunner

http://www.dnainfo.c...p_hood_id=73079

http://www.bxtimes.c.../2012_23bxr.pdf

http://www.crainsnew...ETING/120719917

http://cavecreekbusi...l-in-the-bronx/

http://www.businessi...he-bronx-2012-7

If this happens here are the suggested changes that should be done to help improve accessibility

Suggested added bus stops

Bx5: N/B near Home Depot before it makes the left turn and splits away from the Q44 and Q50

Bx5: S/B right by the Brush Avenue traffic light in front of Whitestone Cinemas.

Q50: S/B near the Home Depot (Q44 currently stops here, Q50 skips stop)

The Bx5 and Q50 under this plan would not be rerouted, just have some stops added near the site. The Q44 is ready for the additional crowds with the artics (more service could be added if it gets too crowded).

But Kenneth Kearns, district manager for Community Board 10 in the Bronx, said that while the board supported more shopping options, it was concerned that the new developments would bring more traffic to three heavily used roadways: Interstate 95, the Bruckner Expressway and the Cross Bronx Expressway.

This I'm also concerned about. The Bruckner Interchange is already a mess. It'll worsen when a new Mall opens up.

Yeah. I agree. I think we might need protected bus lane on Bruckner Blvd.

Speaking of mess, on Friday, I took 8:45 n20l Hicksville and which got to Glen Clove Rd at 9:48, 21 minutes late from 9:27 schedule time because there was heavey traffic near City Line and lots of shopping stores along Northern Blvd, which made our bus very late.

Speaking of mess, on Friday, I took 8:45 n20l Hicksville and which got to Glen Clove Rd at 9:48, 21 minutes late from 9:27 schedule time because there was heavey traffic near City Line and lots of shopping stores along Northern Blvd, which made our bus very late.

You have the shops in Manhasset.. During off peak summers for back to school. those stores tend to get full, and what shops are on that side of city line near great neck?

Ok lets keep this about the Mall........... Use that Random thread for that.

Nevermind that the Target (possibly TJ Maxx) and other stores will be opening up next year, adding traffic before this mall even opens up.

Didn't know Target was opening soon. So that changes everything. BTW don't expect bus routes to be rerouted to these new outlets fast tho.

Bruckner Blvd is fine atm. No need for Bus Lanes. Besides, if Bus Lanes were ever added, I would only picture it East of Brush Ave, and MAYBE around Castle Hill Ave.

Let's not forget the new Mall at Bay Plaza being built and the crowds that would add to Bx12 +SBS.

I never forgot that, but that isn't even coming that fast. Suppose to open 2014: http://mallatbayplaza.com/ (Can't wait tho, love malls)

The Bx12+SBS might just be fine, if more buses are added. Same for the rest of the local routes in Co-op that will pass through.

Suggested added bus stops

Bx5: N/B near Home Depot before it makes the left turn and splits away from the Q44 and Q50

Bx5: S/B right by the Brush Avenue traffic light in front of Whitestone Cinemas.

Q50: S/B near the Home Depot (Q44 currently stops here, Q50 skips stop)

I would add BxM8 at the Bx5 stops for all-day-every-day service to/from Manhattan.

I would not want that at all as a BxM8 rider... Just create specific shuttle buses to go there and back. Done.

To where Mighty VG8 the shuttle buses? And what about an express bus between Midtown and the proposed new outlet mall? Would u go VG8? Or you against box stores? Have u been to any outlet discount mall in US VG8?

To where Mighty VG8 the shuttle buses? And what about an express bus between Midtown and the proposed new outlet mall? Would u go VG8? Or you against box stores? Have u been to any outlet discount mall in US VG8?

To the city and back. Express buses are commuter buses not shuttle buses for outlet malls. As for outlet discount malls, I'm not wild about them. It's usually just the hand-me-down crappola that couldn't sell and the prices are cheaper because the quality is crappier, so you're still getting what you pay for. When I buy stuff, I buy for quality, but also for exclusivity, so I like hand made things and unique things that not every Joe Schmoe is going to have. That doesn't mean that it has to cost an arm and a leg either.

Oh and another thing that would keep me away are the obnoxious crowds... One reason why folks use express buses, not to deal with the typical a-holes out there.

The BxM8 should not be providing service to any mall for the purposes of mall workers/shoppers...... It's that simple....

This guy has been harping about adding stops in that area on the local routes for quite some time now.... Now the express? Unreal....

I NEVER said anything about adding stops on the BxM8.

I would add BxM8 at the Bx5 stops for all-day-every-day service to/from Manhattan.

How about no. A three legged transfer can be added between any other bus/subway > BxM8 > Bx5/Q50 for those who use the express bus. They can transfer to/from the BxM8 and mall buses at either Castle Hill Avenue (Bx5) or Tremont Avenue (Bx5, Q50).

Now if there were demand, MTA could create a NEW express route the BxM5 for the mall from Manhattan. People do ride Port Authority Buses to Woodbury Common, so tourists could use a new express bus to the Mall.

To get MTA Bus 100% reimbursement funding, the BxM5 and BxM8 would have to start out as separate branches of the same route though...

The BxM8 should not be providing service to any mall for the purposes of mall workers/shoppers...... It's that simple....

This guy has been harping about adding stops in that area on the local routes for quite some time now.... Now the express? Unreal....

I NEVER said anything about adding stops on the BxM8.

Hes talking to............. Gotham Bus Co.

But yes I agree. Why should an Express route provide for a Mall or any shopping district? Thats not the Express bus role..

But yes I agree. Why should an Express route provide for a Mall or any shopping district? Thats not the Express bus role..

It sounded like he was talking to GreatOne2k, not Gotham Bus Co.

GreatOne2k's mentioned adding stops on the local buses in the past, but he never said anything about the express buses.

I think foreign tourists might want to transfer between bus/subway in the Bronx.

For my suggestion, my shuttle bus idea runs as follows.

Shuttle Bus operates between Penn Station, Herald Sq and Grand Central & Whitestone Cimena.

Shuttle Bus operates between Great Neck, Little Neck Station, Throgs Neck and Whitestone Cinema via Throgs Neck Bridge.

Shuttle Bus operates between Bay Plaza/Bartow Av Malls, Pelham Bay Park Station, and Parkchester Station and W. Farms Sq Station.

4. Shuttle Bus operates between Jamaica, Flushing, and Whitestone Cimena.

5. Shuttle Bus operates between Queens Center Mall, Rego Park Shopping Center and Whitestone Cinema.

Shuttle Bus will be handled by perfect bus companies that meet USDOT standart.

I also suggest maybe built pier on river side of Whitestone Cimena, so maybe ferry service via New York Waterway, New York Water Taxi could provide high-speed ferry service between Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and Bronx/Whitestone Cimena.

Archived